hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Hey ya’ll. Haku’s been doing fine as far as pooping goes, but now he’s acting strange. He’s only eaten a few bugs the last 3 days and has no interest in them. He frantically runs around his enclosure, jumps and scratches at the walls. I let him out and he just runs everywhere, then begs to be let back into his enclosure! He seems to have no interest in me, jumping out of my hands every time I try and handle him. My theory is that he’s just active and exploring, as his enclosure is plenty big enough for his age. The temps are all fine, uvb exposure is as well. I know that he’ll get hungry eventually, but without the bugs he’s not getting any calcium or vitamins. I think he may be upset with me, because 3 days ago I filed down his nails with a nail drill and he absolutely hated it, but his nails were so sharp and I didn’t want him hurting himself when he starts shedding and gets itchy! I’m not necessarily worried about his activeness because it is good for him, just the fact he isn’t eating. Is there something else I should be looking out for here?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You might try putting a piece of sandstone or equivalent in his habitat. He will keep them dulled on his own.

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
You might try putting a piece of sandstone or equivalent in his habitat. He will keep them dulled on his own.
Yeah, I have a sandmat in there now I just put recently, but his nails were bad at that point so I dulled him. Any explanations for the frantic behavior and no eating? And by frantic, I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily “freaking out” but he is running laps around his enclosure. Im happy he’s active, but the not eating thing has me worried.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He may just be upset over the filing. I'm not sure those sand mats will grind them, also way back when i tried them sometimes the little rocks came of and my beardie tried to eat them.

hakusmom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
He may just be upset over the filing. I'm not sure those sand mats will grind them, also way back when i tried them sometimes the little rocks came of and my beardie tried to eat them.
His hide has a sandpaper texture, and he likes to scratch it at night. And now that I’ve thought about it, I think I may have put him through a lot of stress. A few days ago, I tried filling up the bath and teaching him how to swim since he likes the bath. He did not like it at all. Poor guy, I was just trying to enrich him. It’s kinda hard to tell when Haku’s stressed out. He has never black bearded at me or bit me, he’s never even threatened to bite me. He turns dark sometimes but he really only does it while he’s too cold or basking.

I suppose I’ll just keep putting bugs and salad in there and just back off for a bit. I feel awful, but if he needs space I’ll give it to him. I’ve continued to play music on his little speaker and he seems to enjoy it. If the foods there, he’ll go for it eventually right? The bugs are in a secure escape proof bowl, so they aren’t going anywhere.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Please be careful with the water, beardies use the same muscles to walk as they do to breathe. They can't do both at the same time, swimming is seriously dangerous to them. The water should never be deep enough to be above there elbows.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
And yes he will eat when he is ready, it may take a day or two if he got scared.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom