Wero/Witblits breeding

Lizardlady42

Beardie name(s)
Vixen, Ember, Leo
I have a question, I am not new to owning (or being owned by,lol) beardies, or reptiles in general, but I will be new to breeding beardies. I have a hypo dunner wero male, and will be getting a hypo witblits this weekend and wanted to try breeding them later when they are older. The reptile store thinks this is a great match and will produce beautiful wero babies, but I just wanted to get some more input. They are both from the same reputable breeder, but not related.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As far as I remember it's not good to breed 2 hypo's together . As far as the Witblits + the Wero's, I don't know how closely related they are.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Thats was me also, i wasnt sure if it was ok to breed two visual witz/wero

Lizardlady42

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vixen, Ember, Leo
As far as I remember it's not good to breed 2 hypo's together . As far as the Witblits + the Wero's, I don't know how closely related they are.
they are not related at all. I don't think the witblits is hypo, I will double check though.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
From all my research hypo to hypo can be done, trans to trans is a no go. Witz to wero I'm unsure of. If your getting them from the same breeder just ask him/her about the pairing, if they are working with witz and weros both they should know.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A wero is a witblit/zero. So you'd be breeding a wit to a wit/zero/dunner mix which sounds questionable. The wit was first bred in S. Africa and if you research it they are a fairly new morph with somewhat of a rocky start. I often wonder what their average lifespan is.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
My girl Chomp was 100% het witz and zero she passed at 3 years old. Her brother however is still with me, he is 4,1/2 now.
Chomp passed very unexpectedly. She was fine when i left for work and was dying when i got home. The vet said something ruptured in her reproductive system, but she all but refused to look at her, and did blatantly refuse to try to help her. (So take it with a grain of salt) I guess getting home was more important at 5 o'clock.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about Chomp, if you had wanted a necropsy done the vet should have obliged so there could have been some answers and a bit of closure for you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Thank you.
She offered, but that was AFTER she refused to try to help and insisted on euthanasia.

Wanhedamous

Beardie name(s)
Charla
Sorry for the late reply, upon my extensive research over time I have found it is not safe to breed visual wits or zeros to other visuals. Same as trans.

I am currently trying to find information regarding het witblit or het zero to visuals. But I am getting a lot of mixed answers on that too and old articles 5+ years old. So I am wondering if it has changed since than considering you can now breed visual trans to het trans.

Wanhedamous

Beardie name(s)
Charla
Sorry for the late reply, upon my extensive research over time I have found it is not safe to breed visual wits or zeros to other visuals. Same as trans.

I am currently trying to find information regarding het witblit or het zero to visuals. But I am getting a lot of mixed answers on that too and old articles 5+ years old. So I am wondering if it has changed since than considering you can now breed visual trans to het trans.
Since weros are visuals of zeros and witblits it would not be safe to breed another witblits to a visual wero. It is also not safe (as of 2017) to breed het wero to visual witblits or zeros. The only safe was is het to het. Like I stated above I am not sure if this has changed yet.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Any chance you could post links to some of your research? I would be interested in reading it myself. I'll be starting some breeding projects very soon and am interested in reading up any breeding info.

Wanhedamous

Beardie name(s)
Charla
I could try to find some of it for you, I started looking into this specific morph months ago so it’s just various sites, research over time, articles and breeders/people who have claimed to worked with the breed for a while. This site has some helpful information as well as google and following breeders of the morph your interested in, some of them share their knowledge through their blogs or websites.

The hardest issue I’m having is finding something up to date. The most “up to date” I could find is from 2017/18. It’s similar to the trans line, as a new morph it was only breed het to het, now it is safe to breed visual to het as the gene is strengthened but it is still not safe to breed two visual trans. So this has been hard as improper breeding can cause a lot of issues from health issues in your clutches to the gene getting weakened. It happened with another morph/ gene (I want to say trans but can’t say 100% it’s 1am lol) they had to rebuild it after years of building it becuse people were not breeding properly as they wanted quick results and profit.

So, really how new is the zero and witblit genes? Articles from 2017 state it’s still relatively new. It is highly important anyone wishing to breed follow proper breeding and ethics. Research is key, if you’re not sure don’t do it until you are sure. Most breeders are looking to sell, some buyers are wishing to breed. If a breeder sells weak genetics, or breeds morphs inappropriately and sells those babies and someone else breeds those, we are now spreading the bad genetics back into the bloodline (even if the babies from the one clutch are healthy there are still risk and does not prove this to be safe breeding).

I am not sure how or when it was deemed safe to breed visual trans to het after years of het to het only. But the best practice I follow is protecting the animals and genetics. So I won’t do anything without being 1000% sure it is safe, ethical and in best practices. Especially if I find conflicting information regarding the subject.

Sorry I couldn’t help more as I’m still looking for more information on this myself.

Wanhedamous

Beardie name(s)
Charla
I could try to find some of it for you, I started looking into this specific morph months ago so it’s just various sites, research over time, articles and breeders/people who have claimed to worked with the breed for a while. This site has some helpful information as well as google and following breeders of the morph your interested in, some of them share their knowledge through their blogs or websites.

The hardest issue I’m having is finding something up to date. The most “up to date” I could find is from 2017/18. It’s similar to the trans line, as a new morph it was only breed het to het, now it is safe to breed visual to het as the gene is strengthened but it is still not safe to breed two visual trans. So this has been hard as improper breeding can cause a lot of issues from health issues in your clutches to the gene getting weakened. It happened with another morph/ gene (I want to say trans but can’t say 100% it’s 1am lol) they had to rebuild it after years of building it becuse people were not breeding properly as they wanted quick results and profit.

So, really how new is the zero and witblit genes? Articles from 2017 state it’s still relatively new. It is highly important anyone wishing to breed follow proper breeding and ethics. Research is key, if you’re not sure don’t do it until you are sure. Most breeders are looking to sell, some buyers are wishing to breed. If a breeder sells weak genetics, or breeds morphs inappropriately and sells those babies and someone else breeds those, we are now spreading the bad genetics back into the bloodline (even if the babies from the one clutch are healthy there are still risk and does not prove this to be safe breeding).

I am not sure how or when it was deemed safe to breed visual trans to het after years of het to het only. But the best practice I follow is protecting the animals and genetics. So I won’t do anything without being 1000% sure it is safe, ethical and in best practices. Especially if I find conflicting information regarding the subject.

Sorry I couldn’t help more as I’m still looking for more information on this myself.
It seems the big named breeders will only breed zero, witblits and weros het to het as of date. If this gives you indication of the route to take.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom