Weird thing one bearded dragon foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacrimosa

For a while I've noticed something on the bottom of my beardie's foot. The vet didn't mention it when i took her for her checkup, so I assumed it was normal. I thought it had been skin build up, but it was very hard. Tonight I was bathing her and i was scrubbing her feet, and I noticed that along with her other dead skin that she was molting, this thing seemed to be peeling. She let me mess with it and she seemed fine so I don't think it hurt her. It started to come off, and what came off, or out, was what looked like when you pop a big blackhead. It wasn't too big because it was not noticeable unless you lifted up her foot to look, and it didn't limit her in ant way, but big enough to where what was left of it was a gaping hole, since skin grew around it. The inside of the hole is not inside of her foot, just seems that skin grew around it. But I was just wondering if I should be concerned and take her to the vet, or if she'd be fine here. Also, she seems perfectly fine, if not happier now that it's gone. Thank you! And here's a picture

Attachments

• F136DE8C-AC9D-4528-AC80-D0F7B6C93984.jpeg
    F136DE8C-AC9D-4528-AC80-D0F7B6C93984.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 126

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
For a while I've noticed something on the bottom of my beardie's foot. The vet didn't mention it when i took her for her checkup, so I assumed it was normal. I thought it had been skin build up, but it was very hard. Tonight I was bathing her and i was scrubbing her feet, and I noticed that along with her other dead skin that she was molting, this thing seemed to be peeling. She let me mess with it and she seemed fine so I don't think it hurt her. It started to come off, and what came off, or out, was what looked like when you pop a big blackhead. It wasn't too big because it was not noticeable unless you lifted up her foot to look, and it didn't limit her in ant way, but big enough to where what was left of it was a gaping hole, since skin grew around it. The inside of the hole is not inside of her foot, just seems that skin grew around it. But I was just wondering if I should be concerned and take her to the vet, or if she'd be fine here. Also, she seems perfectly fine, if not happier now that it's gone. Thank you! And here's a picture
What substrate do you have her on? I am going to have some others take a look
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was it notably different from her other foot to the touch and visibly ? It's always best to not scrub or peel areas that your'e not sure of, sometimes the body builds a scab or callous naturally for a reason. For now you can do a short 10 minute soak every few days in a betadine mixture [ 10 parts water to 1 part betadine ] Then put some raw unpasteurized honey on it.

lacrimosa

Original Poster
What substrate do you have her on? I am going to have some others take a look
@AHBD
@CooperDragon
At the time it appeared (it was a couple years ago) I was using reptile carpet. But I didn’t know how to clean it, and couldn’t afford to replace it, so I felt like her living conditions were unsanitary. (she was also my first bearded dragon and I was in middle school at the time) I now use newspaper so I can regularly clean her tank, and she seems to like it much better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
At the time it appeared (it was a couple years ago) I was using reptile carpet. But I didn’t know how to clean it, and couldn’t afford to replace it, so I felt like her living conditions were unsanitary. (she was also my first bearded dragon and I was in middle school at the time) I now use newspaper so I can regularly clean her tank, and she seems to like it much better.
ok so newspaper is good NO sand tho -- you can check out some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or you local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 insects cannot get underneath it

lacrimosa

Original Poster
Was it notably different from her other foot to the touch and visibly ? It's always best to not scrub or peel areas that your'e not sure of, sometimes the body builds a scab or callous naturally for a reason. For now you can do a short 10 minute soak every few days in a betadine mixture [ 10 parts water to 1 part betadine ] Then put some raw unpasteurized honey on it.
Thank you, and no, it was lumpy but you could only tell if you lifted her foot up. It didn’t limit her movements. And I’m sorry I’ll keep that in mind if something like this happens again. Thank you for the bath mixture, I’ll do that.

lacrimosa

Original Poster
ok so newspaper is good NO sand tho -- you can check out some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or you local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 insects cannot get underneath it
Ohh thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom