Weird spots on tongue?

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Osb appears to be made of popular and aspen, so yes some evergreen. If it is a store bought habitat it is likely sealed. If it isn't sealed i would consider doing so personally.
Even if he doesn't come into direct contact with the wood? I ordered it from someone who specializes on reptile enclosures, it was a "built it yourself"-set. And I'm sorry for asking, but what exactly are evergreens? Like pines and stuff?🥺

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Request the blood work have them email it to you--- please post the meds he is / was on and how much you were giving -- Tracie is going to best help here since shes the vet tech on here -- and yes the falling onto the back is not good - please lower his basking area - you can use rolled up dish towels so hes not falling off of anything and get your surface basking temps off of them w/ your digital probe thermometer - its funny they didnt prescribe a antibiotic if its an infection - is he eating?
I will on Friday, I have an appointment then. I'm thinking of doing some blood work again now that it has been two weeks since the last one, maybe something changed because his tongue wasn't that splotchy before 🥺

He's only eating if I put it in his mouth, but not on his own no. I've been giving him some water with a syringe since I already have to give him the vitamins and the calcium via syringe(oral), so at least I can make sure he's hydrated. He doesn't really like the syringes tho.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Even if he doesn't come into direct contact with the wood? I ordered it from someone who specializes on reptile enclosures, it was a "built it yourself"-set. And I'm sorry for asking, but what exactly are evergreens? Like pines and stuff?🥺
Yes, pine, cedar, fir, ect.
Cedar is the worst but all evergreen species are toxic to some degree, and even to dogs. It's probably not what is causing your guys issues but like i said above, just trying to add a different perspective, sometimes we just don't know what we don't know, I'm a big believer in sharing info 🙂. I came across it researching symptoms one of mine was having (muscle twitching) and some evergreen could cause it, so i eliminated everything my guys had that was evergreen. Consequently his twitching nearly completely disappeared.

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Request the blood work have them email it to you--- please post the meds he is / was on and how much you were giving -- Tracie is going to best help here since shes the vet tech on here -- and yes the falling onto the back is not good - please lower his basking area - you can use rolled up dish towels so hes not falling off of anything and get your surface basking temps off of them w/ your digital probe thermometer - its funny they didnt prescribe a antibiotic if its an infection - is he eating?
This is the medicine I gave him, 0.5ml daily, but he only took it for 4 days.

Attachments

• 20230524_222625.jpg
    20230524_222625.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230524_222650.jpg
    20230524_222650.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 62

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your poor dragon, he is in distress for some reason. How long has his beard been that dark?
The splotchiness on his tongue is odd. Did that just crop up before or after giving the metacam/
meloxicam med?
I need to see full body pictures of him, it is possible that he has developed gout, or he could have
been exposed to a toxin of some type?
As soon as you get the blood tests, please post them here so we can take a look.
For now, try to get daily oral fluids into him. If you can get some black or tart cherry juice to give
to him daily that may help with kidney issues. If he isn't eating anything, you will need to try &
intervene with assisted feeding. You can use a plastic dropper or syringe & drip food/fluids onto
his nose to see if he will lick anything off that way. Get chicken or turkey baby food. You can mix
some squash & sweet potato in with that, too.
Since he isn't feeling well, try to keep him around 75-80F overnight using a ceramic heat emitter,
or a heating pad set on LOW, with a towel in between him & the heating pad.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello,

Your poor dragon, he is in distress for some reason. How long has his beard been that dark?
The splotchiness on his tongue is odd. Did that just crop up before or after giving the metacam/
meloxicam med?
I need to see full body pictures of him, it is possible that he has developed gout, or he could have
As soon as you get the blood tests, please post them here so we can take a look.
For now, try to get daily oral fluids into him. If you can get some black or tart cherry juice to give
to him daily that may help with kidney issues. If he isn't eating anything, you will need to try &
intervene with assisted feeding. You can use a plastic dropper or syringe & drip food/fluids onto
his nose to see if he will lick anything off that way. Get chicken or turkey baby food. You can mix
Since he isn't feeling well, try to keep him around 75-80F overnight using a ceramic heat emitter,

Tracie
His beard has been that dark almost every day for 2/½ weeks now. I've noticed the splotchy tongue yesterday after giving him his meds, I don't exactly know how long it has been like this, I just know it hasn't been that color before he got sick🥺
He's in pain and I know that. Every time he moves, or better tries to move, he gets super dark and is almost gaping constantly, breathing very heavy.
I'm trying to give him syringes full of water everyday after giving him the oral vitamins and calcium, so he's hydrated. He eats when I put the insects in his mouth, but not on his own.

I'll get a better full body picture when I'm home again. Every day I'm just so scared to go to work because I'm afraid that he's lying on his back. It's not even the issue that he falls from anything, I've seen him turn on his back just because he pushed himself with his back legs too hard.

Ill take a full body picture when I'm home again, but I uploaded a video for you where he seems to be struggling really bad.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, he isn't feeling well.
A respiratory infection perhaps, not sure.
How long has he been in the current tank & did this come on suddenly?
Did he possibly fall & hurt his back or other part of his body?
I am sorry, I am looking forward to seeing his blood tests. We need to get this figured out,
since he is in pain right now.
I am concerned about the splotchiness on his tongue also. If you are concerned about the
possibility of toxicity of the tank, until we can get this figured out, can you move him to a
temporary plastic bin along with transferring his lighting there also?
That way you can eliminate that possibility of anything being toxic in his tank. The tongue is
concerning, it is a possibility of toxicity. Can you move him tonight?

Tracie

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello,

Poor thing, he isn't feeling well.
A respiratory infection perhaps, not sure.
How long has he been in the current tank & did this come on suddenly?
Did he possibly fall & hurt his back or other part of his body?
I am sorry, I am looking forward to seeing his blood tests. We need to get this figured out,
since he is in pain right now.
I am concerned about the splotchiness on his tongue also. If you are concerned about the
possibility of toxicity of the tank, until we can get this figured out, can you move him to a
temporary plastic bin along with transferring his lighting there also?
That way you can eliminate that possibility of anything being toxic in his tank. The tongue is
concerning, it is a possibility of toxicity. Can you move him tonight?

Tracie
The vet ruled out a respiratory infection, and I don't hear any clicking or anything while he's breathing, also no extra mucus or foaming :(

He's been in the tank for a little over a year now, the sickness came suddenly, from one day to another. The vet said that it looks like he fell from somewhere, but he didn't break anything. He was completely fine one day and the next he had trouble walking and all black. I always supervised him when he was out, so it must've happened in his tank somehow.

I'm not able to move him into another tank atm, the lamps are drilled into the wood.
He doesn't come into direct contact with the wood tho, I tiled the floor and the complete back and side walls are covered with a self made back wall. Could it be that he didn't process the medicine well? I have a picture of the tank attached.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow, but the last time (third time I was there already) the vet already said that we are just trying to improve his condition but if that doesn't work he doesn't know what else to do.

I'm so scared that I have to make the decision to put him to sleep, but I think that's what the vet is going to suggest next.
I love this dragon so much and I don't know what to do anymore.

Attachments

• 20230211_102520.jpg
    20230211_102520.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 46

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The vet ruled out a respiratory infection, and I don't hear any clicking or anything while he's breathing, also no extra mucus or foaming :(

He's been in the tank for a little over a year now, the sickness came suddenly, from one day to another. The vet said that it looks like he fell from somewhere, but he didn't break anything. He was completely fine one day and the next he had trouble walking and all black. I always supervised him when he was out, so it must've happened in his tank somehow.

I'm not able to move him into another tank atm, the lamps are drilled into the wood.
He doesn't come into direct contact with the wood tho, I tiled the floor and the complete back and side walls are covered with a self made back wall. Could it be that he didn't process the medicine well? I have a picture of the tank attached.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow, but the last time (third time I was there already) the vet already said that we are just trying to improve his condition but if that doesn't work he doesn't know what else to do.

I'm so scared that I have to make the decision to put him to sleep, but I think that's what the vet is going to suggest next.
I love this dragon so much and I don't know what to do anymore.
I would take out the wood decor pieces and place rolled up dish towels in the tank so hes not falling off of anything to land on his back --- place them correct distance under the UVB 12-15 inches and get a surface basking temp off the towel under the basking light --

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello,

meloxicam med?

Tracie
Here's a full body pic from today.

Attachments

• 20230525_133221.jpg
    20230525_133221.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 51

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Is that how he is looking today?
He does look better, no black beard there. Please don't let the vet talk you into anything such as a
rushed euthanasia he deserves a chance.
Ok, since he has been in that same tank for a year I am inclined to think that there shouldn't be any
toxins, etc in his tank.
It is likely he could have fallen, yes & he definitely could have had a reaction to the medication. Can
he move around better today?
Is his tongue looking any better?

Tracie

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello!

Is that how he is looking today?
He does look better, no black beard there. Please don't let the vet talk you into anything such as a
rushed euthanasia he deserves a chance.
Ok, since he has been in that same tank for a year I am inclined to think that there shouldn't be any
toxins, etc in his tank.
It is likely he could have fallen, yes & he definitely could have had a reaction to the medication. Can
he move around better today?
Is his tongue looking any better?

Tracie
Hello!

He looked like that yesterday. The only place where he could've fallen would be in his tank, I always, and really always!- had my eyes on him when he was out. I would've noticed when he fell. He had a period after his brumation where he was really active and ran, and jumped around everywhere from the branch to the back wall and the other way around.. maybe he slipped and fell on his back while he did that?😟 it really came so suddenly...

It's really noticeable that he turns black when he tries to move...it really hurts him I think. But the hard, open mouth breathing concerns me, wouldn't it have been noticed on the ultrasounds of something was pushing on his lungs or any bones where broken? I can give you a list of what the vet did:

2 Ultrasounds, bones and organs seemed fine
Blood was taken, values were all fine, just inflammation values reeaally high
He got multiple shots, I think pain killer and anti inflammation stuff
He looked into his mouth, no signs of respitory
Prescribed vitamin B12 and liquid calcium to give him for two weeks, but that didn't really help yet.

Last time I was at the vet, he already told me we are just trying to better it at this point, and that he doesn't know what really is wrong with him. I want them to draw blood again today to see if his inflammation levels went down, but I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to get a fecal sample but since my boy doesn't really eat much, he also doesn't poop much.

The vet appointment is in about 7 hours, I'll update what the vet says then.

Thank you so much for your help tho, I'm really desperate at the moment.

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello!

He looked like that yesterday. The only place where he could've fallen would be in his tank, I always, and really always!- had my eyes on him when he was out. I would've noticed when he fell. He had a period after his brumation where he was really active and ran, and jumped around everywhere from the branch to the back wall and the other way around.. maybe he slipped and fell on his back while he did that?😟 it really came so suddenly...

It's really noticeable that he turns black when he tries to move...it really hurts him I think. But the hard, open mouth breathing concerns me, wouldn't it have been noticed on the ultrasounds of something was pushing on his lungs or any bones where broken? I can give you a list of what the vet did:

2 Ultrasounds, bones and organs seemed fine
Blood was taken, values were all fine, just inflammation values reeaally high
He got multiple shots, I think pain killer and anti inflammation stuff
He looked into his mouth, no signs of respitory
Prescribed vitamin B12 and liquid calcium to give him for two weeks, but that didn't really help yet.

Last time I was at the vet, he already told me we are just trying to better it at this point, and that he doesn't know what really is wrong with him. I want them to draw blood again today to see if his inflammation levels went down, but I don't know what else to do. I'm trying to get a fecal sample but since my boy doesn't really eat much, he also doesn't poop much.

The vet appointment is in about 7 hours, I'll update what the vet says then.

Thank you so much for your help tho, I'm really desperate at the moment.
Little side note: sorry for all the spelling mistakes, English sadly isn't my first language :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Little side note: sorry for all the spelling mistakes, English sadly isn't my first language :(
That isn't a problem, we love all beardies no matter what language they speak 🙂

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom