Weird behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdbc13

Beardie name(s)
Larry
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a beardie and I could not be happier with my choice! I am also new in this forum, and I thought asking some advice would be a good way to introduce myself. The one in the pictures is Larry, a 3-4months old beardie (not sure about the sex, I haven’t tried too hard to guess since I figured out it is a bit early anyway). He recently (not sure how long ago, but less than a month for sure), started to dig in his sleeping position (pictures) earlier than the time the lights go off (in the evening time, around 1-2h before the timer). I always kept the same timing throughout (7am-9:45pm) and he never did that before the lights were going off. Apart from that, he has been really active during the day, eating and defecating normally. I would like to ask whether you think is just because he is tired or may be sign of any kind of problem. Following there are some details of the setup. His terrarium is 40 gallons (36x18x18), with an Arcadia ProT5 12% uvb HO-T5 24w 22" and a 100w basking lamp.
The temperature of the surface of the rock closer to the light is 110°F and the humidity of the hot side of the cage is around 30%. I put the wooden piece on top of the screen to avoid overheating the basking spot (it was getting 115-120°F before).
Any advice is welcome.

gdbc13

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Larry
Here are the images

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3069.jpeg
    IMG_3069.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 88

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Just speaking as a firefighter's son, I would highly recommend getting a proper lamp stand that will allow you to raise and lower that lamp. The wood blocks seem a fire hazard...

As far as digging in before lights out, if he is active and eating and pooping normally otherwise, I don't think it is anything to be too concerned about. Mine usually puts himself to bed in his hammock an hour or two before lights out and just lays there and waits for the lights to go off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom