Weird Beardie Behavior?

Hey there,
I have about a 4 and a half month old beardie.
I’m not sure what’s going on with him.
He is constantly glass surfing in a frantic manner and occasionally head bobbing rapidly with it. He will run back and forth and up and down his hide/basking spot.
I try to hold him to take him out and he gapes without a black beard or he runs from me. I have tried letting him rest in a bath, that doesn’t calm him down. I feed him. He’s in a 40 gallon at the moment with two hides and a water bowl. And his temps sit at 100F during the day and 35% humidity which is good. I am running out of options for what’s going on. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey there,
I have about a 4 and a half month old beardie.
I’m not sure what’s going on with him.
He is constantly glass surfing in a frantic manner and occasionally head bobbing rapidly with it. He will run back and forth and up and down his hide/basking spot.
I try to hold him to take him out and he gapes without a black beard or he runs from me. I have tried letting him rest in a bath, that doesn’t calm him down. I feed him. He’s in a 40 gallon at the moment with two hides and a water bowl. And his temps sit at 100F during the day and 35% humidity which is good. I am running out of options for what’s going on. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
What are you using for a uvb? Coil or a long tube fixture-- how are you taking basking temps? They should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-

Alternativesweetheart

Original Poster
What are you using for a uvb? Coil or a long tube fixture-- how are you taking basking temps? They should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-
It looks like a long tube. Sort of like 3 long bent tubes put together. It came with the terrarium kit I got for him. Taking temps using a stick on the glass thermometer.

Alternativesweetheart

Original Poster
I attached a photo of the one I have. Also, added information, he has been eating, shedding and having normal bowel movements so nothing health wise seems off. Just his behavior.

Attachments

• 19541AAC-3498-41C8-BE8B-D78B677BAA13.jpeg
    19541AAC-3498-41C8-BE8B-D78B677BAA13.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 93

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I attached a photo of the one I have. Also, added information, he has been eating, shedding and having normal bowel movements so nothing health wise seems off. Just his behavior.
Please get rid of the coil - they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues - you want a long tube fixture-- I will post links to some tomorrow morning - please shut the coil off and take him outside for some good uvb - 15 - 30 min till you get the new one-

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For a 40 + gallon tank you can get one of these two fixtures a 24" this one will come w/a 5.0 bulb this works good on small tanks like a 20 gallon Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood if you have a 40 + gallon you want this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO there is a distance and placement for these two bulbs and the screen will also determine where it goes
you can check Pet Smart for this fixture 24 watt Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood you want the 12% bulb
please post back on here when you get the UVB I can help you place it for your tank

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom