Weight

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello can anyone explain to me exactly what a healthy chunky male bearded dragon is supposed to be. Mushu is a year old and i have been keeping his weight. in October he was 15 1/2 in long and 183grams fast forwards to today hes 20 inches long and is 550grams large. i have tried cutting out the feeders to help him loose weight but he just wont loose it, in fact he gained some when i did. He recently was on a salad strike and he still gained some weight. Hes active(ish) He poops like a pro. My husband says hes overweight but i know there are some dragons who are just big build and i think he might be one of those. Hes got a belly and it hangs low when hes lazzzy but he can deffinetly hold it up and suck it up when hes running or standing.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 68

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good, hefty but not fat. Keep him about that size, holding off on insects at times is good to try to get them to eat greens more. All dragons are different and some are more inclined to eat greens while others decline them. One of my boys [ both are about 11 years old ] likes all greens + insects almost equally while the other picks at the greens but of course loves the insects.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is meaty but not obese. My male Zen is 23ish inches and over 1000 grams. They vet continuously tells me he isn't overweight either (I'm skeptical lol) but even at his weight if you decides to take off good luck catching him.
I think around the 500 gram mark is about whats considered normal, so if you have a big framed dragon i would expect it to be a little more.

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Okay I wasn’t sure because everyone that I have asked said they should be skinny not chunky but I was thinking everybody is different so why can’t bearded dragons be also. I’m going to keep monitoring his weight and his diet. But like I said he just can’t loose anything. I think he lost a gram from pooping but that’s it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think trim dragons are ok, but skinny dragons are malnourished, if your seeing their rear hips protruding and their little legs are thin, flat to no fat pads, thats not ok. If the are just sleek and toned thats fine.

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Oh yes that is what I meant by skinny. Mushu definitely has squish to his thighs. You can see his little fat pad under his front arms if you lift them up. I have noticed those have been there since we have gotten him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The ones on top his head look good also. On a skiny dragon those will be deflated. Your dragon looks good.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom