weight & size

Status
Not open for further replies.

reytamminen

3A31476A-3176-4C69-B1BB-61D25FFF13B9.jpeg
hi! i was wondering what a good weight for a 22 inch beardie is? he is 9 months old and weighs 468 grams, but he looks skinny to me (the second pic he has calcium on his face and was taken after he was basking). he is dehydrated, but we are working on that right now by giving him daily baths and dripping water on his nose throughout the day. he has a 160w mercury bulb and 10.0 t8 uvb tube light, his salad is usually collard greens & bok choy w freeze dried bugs and calcium, and he also eats ≈20-30 crix/day. he still sheds once every 2 ish weeks, is handled/out for ≈1-2 hours daily, and is a relatively happy boy. he poops once every 1-3 days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 93
  • E3626EB9-927D-47CD-8167-53D358921ED0.jpeg
    E3626EB9-927D-47CD-8167-53D358921ED0.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 36F8DE1D-3CF8-4FB9-AC71-56426B69E588.jpeg
    36F8DE1D-3CF8-4FB9-AC71-56426B69E588.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 98

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Hi! 468 grams seems to be a pretty good weight for a 9 month/22 in old beardie. Is he drinking any of the bath water? Could also try occasional hornworms to increase his hydration levels. What brand is your UVB? We recommend Reptisun 10.0 UVB or Arcadia 12 % UVB. With T8 bulbs, you want to mount them inside the terrarium since they aren't as strong as T5 bulbs. Although I don't know how to combine a mercury vapor bulb (which also produces UVB) and a fluorescent tube so I'll tag @KarrieRee who knows a lot about bearded dragon lighting. Do you have proper temps in your basking zone and your cool side? If basking temps aren't quite right, it could lead to reduced appetite in beardies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 64949 hi! i was wondering what a good weight for a 22 inch beardie is? he is 9 months old and weighs 468 grams, but he looks skinny to me (the second pic he has calcium on his face and was taken after he was basking). he is dehydrated, but we are working on that right now by giving him daily baths and dripping water on his nose throughout the day. he has a 160w mercury bulb and 10.0 t8 uvb tube light, his salad is usually collard greens & bok choy w freeze dried bugs and calcium, and he also eats ≈20-30 crix/day. he still sheds once every 2 ish weeks, is handled/out for ≈1-2 hours daily, and is a relatively happy boy. he poops once every 1-3 days.
He looks good -- dragons grow at different rates -- and for a 9 month old weighing in at 468 grams hes a big boy--- I would recommend getting him some BSFL in lue of the freeze dried bugs -- they will dry your dragon out hence the dehydration -- and yes offering the horn worms will help w/ his dehydration -- your lighting sounds good -- what brand of MVB are you using -- w/ the T 8 added in there as well that is good -- and on that note where is the T 8? If you have it on top of your screen it needs to go into the tank or have it unobstructed -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screens -- distance for it should be 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor piece as well --

reytamminen

Original Poster
Hi! 468 grams seems to be a pretty good weight for a 9 month/22 in old beardie. Is he drinking any of the bath water? Could also try occasional hornworms to increase his hydration levels. What brand is your UVB? We recommend Reptisun 10.0 UVB or Arcadia 12 % UVB. With T8 bulbs, you want to mount them inside the terrarium since they aren't as strong as T5 bulbs. Although I don't know how to combine a mercury vapor bulb (which also produces UVB) and a fluorescent tube so I'll tag @KarrieRee who knows a lot about bearded dragon lighting. Do you have proper temps in your basking zone and your cool side? If basking temps aren't quite right, it could lead to reduced appetite in beardies.
he has reptisun t8 10.0 22 inch, and his temps are-
basking - 105
warm side 85-90
cool side 78-80

reytamminen

Original Poster
He looks good -- dragons grow at different rates -- and for a 9 month old weighing in at 468 grams hes a big boy--- I would recommend getting him some BSFL in lue of the freeze dried bugs -- they will dry your dragon out hence the dehydration -- and yes offering the horn worms will help w/ his dehydration -- your lighting sounds good -- what brand of MVB are you using -- w/ the T 8 added in there as well that is good -- and on that note where is the T 8? If you have it on top of your screen it needs to go into the tank or have it unobstructed -- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screens -- distance for it should be 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor piece as well --
he has the zoomed one if i remember correctly. it’s mounted on top at the moment but we’re getting him a new tank soon so we’re waiting til we get the tank to buy an inside mount. speaking of- do you know where i can get one for mounting it inside? because i can’t seem to find any (he has reptisun 10.0 t8 22 inch tube)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
he has the zoomed one if i remember correctly. it’s mounted on top at the moment but we’re getting him a new tank soon so we’re waiting til we get the tank to buy an inside mount. speaking of- do you know where i can get one for mounting it inside? because i can’t seem to find any (he has reptisun 10.0 t8 22 inch tube)
You can use this stuff it works great its like a velcro strap - cut into strips and wrap around the fixture GE 15 ft. Cable Ties, Hook and Loop Spool, Black-10375 - The Home Depot

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He could stand to gain a little weight actually but is better off than being over weight. I would just offer more live insects but as for BSFL, they are so tiny that you'd have to pay a fortune for your dragon to have a meal of them. Not only that, for some reason it's not uncommon for them to go through the digestive system whole, sometimes coming out live. I'd stick with crickets and if you do go for some bsfl just be aware that it takes a lot more of them to fill your dragon but if you want to spend the money, then they are a good feeder insect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom