Weight Concerns

Vampgutz

Hi,
Haven‘t been here for a while, as Helios has been healthy overall this past year. However, today I noticed he appeared a little skinny. Only a few of his rib bones were visible, so I don’t know if this is cause for concern. Beardie skeletons can be weird lol. Though only one of his fat pads appears a little sunken too, as well as one of his hip bones protruding a bit (though I think one has been visible since I got him, maybe I’m just worrying too much and overthinking this bit). I feed him a salad every few days. It used to be daily, but as he doesn’t eat most of his greens, it was starting to become wasteful (as well as him appearing a touch overweight too). He gets dandelion greens or collard greens, and for some odd reason he also seems to enjoy strawberry greens, so he gets those as well. Then he usually gets a few johnny-jump-ups (he loves eating these when he goes outside, and theyre one of the only plants he’ll eat a decent amount of willingly). Lately he doesn’t get as much variety in his diet as he used to, but I’ll do what I can to add his beloved bell peppers and squash into the mix again. Then to top it all off, he gets dried crickets once or twice a week, with the occasional strawberries or blueberries. I put calcium in his water, since it makes less of a mess than always dusting his food, but maybe this is part of the issue. I’m unsure if I should switch his feeding to daily once again, but I likely will.

He hasn’t had hornworms or wax worms in quite some time, so I’m planning to get some soon to hopefully fatten him up a bit. He’s a pretty active beardie for the most part, as he loves to explore the house or go outside. He does spend most of his time in his tank sleeping though, but he’s kind of always done this. His UVB bulb will get changed tomorrow, so if that’s part of the problem, that part is resolved at least.

Another concern that may contribute to this is the fact that he’s always seemed to have a lot of loose skin, even with frequent misting. For the most part it seemed to go down with gentle pinching, though, so I didn’t have too much concern. He is a weird lizard, after all, lol. Unfortunately, his bathing tub seems to have been thrown out without my permission, so he hasn’t had a bath in some time. I misted him twice today, so hopefully he gets more water in his system if that‘s what he needs. I can add photos tomorrow, but if anyone has some help to offer right now, that’d be much appreciated.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Just found some old pics of Healy I thought I’d add. These are all from the past year or so, none are particularly recent. As you can see, he seems to always appear a bit ruggy or wrinkly. One hip bone also looks to appear a little visible, but maybe that’s just me. Again, I’ll take pics tomorrow so you can give better opinions. Thank you if you choose to give any advice :)

Attachments

• 4D77A83C-D46C-4AE3-B5E8-A43837728C2D.jpeg
    4D77A83C-D46C-4AE3-B5E8-A43837728C2D.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 4D11D347-1279-4D4A-870D-E98B8A069A8D.jpeg
    4D11D347-1279-4D4A-870D-E98B8A069A8D.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 68
  • 1D4CE70D-D0D0-46A1-BD7C-9AE832C7DD54.jpeg
    1D4CE70D-D0D0-46A1-BD7C-9AE832C7DD54.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 69
  • D8881B2E-A914-410F-B60E-63D0588CFF28.jpeg
    D8881B2E-A914-410F-B60E-63D0588CFF28.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 69

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Helios looks the picture of health, definitely not underweight in those pics. I would suggest live food when possible since it has more moisture by far than dried. Still, if he enjoys soaks you can buy a new plastic tub for about $5 at a Doller Store or Walmart. Misting won't hydrate him unless he drinks the water that accumulates on his nose. You can even drip the water on his snout slowly until he drinks.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would do salads everday even if he don't eat them most days. It's way better to give him the option then having nothing available if he is hungry.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Helios looks the picture of health, definitely not underweight in those pics. I would suggest live food when possible since it has more moisture by far than dried. Still, if he enjoys soaks you can buy a new plastic tub for about $5 at a Doller Store or Walmart. Misting won't hydrate him unless he drinks the water that accumulates on his nose. You can even drip the water on his snout slowly until he drinks.
Okay, thank you :). He usually does drink the water on his nose, and he loves to lick it off his hide or the sides of his enclosure if I spray it there. He’s done this since I got him, and it’s always seemed to be enough, along with his baths that used to be weekly up until the tub seemed to have disappeared. He also used to swim in a kiddie pool we had in the yard, but unfortunately that got blown away with a bad windstorm. Regardless, I’ll see what I can do about more frequent baths.

I have photos I just took here, and I think the base of his tail could definitely fill out. Not sure if the few ribs you can see are an issue, as it might just be the way he’s holding himself. I could be wrong, but his fat pads do still look a bit deflated to me. I’ve definitely seen worse, so I’m hoping it’s not a big issue and it’s resolved quickly enough with more feeding. I’m not sure if you can see all of what I mean, but I’m hoping I could still get some advice :) Thank you.

I’ve heard small pinkies can be good to help them gain a lot of nutrients and protein fairly quick. Definitely will only give him one, but I’m wondering if this may be a good option if I get my hands on some.

Attachments

• 04F4AC57-CE9E-45BF-BC9E-8DE771B82779.jpeg
    04F4AC57-CE9E-45BF-BC9E-8DE771B82779.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 4A780234-8E5A-42FA-A404-878610FEDFC2.jpeg
    4A780234-8E5A-42FA-A404-878610FEDFC2.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 74
  • C3FE6D56-13EC-444C-B571-62979D95FB20.jpeg
    C3FE6D56-13EC-444C-B571-62979D95FB20.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 91B81257-FFB5-4D43-83A9-0B0C03F9461A.jpeg
    91B81257-FFB5-4D43-83A9-0B0C03F9461A.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 62
  • D6BD2984-2FE7-4DB1-AEF2-DCD03B2B1559.jpeg
    D6BD2984-2FE7-4DB1-AEF2-DCD03B2B1559.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 83D539CD-EC20-4291-B26A-C2E8CBFD37C8.jpeg
    83D539CD-EC20-4291-B26A-C2E8CBFD37C8.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DAF48343-C825-44FE-BE58-A170A463B34B.jpeg
    DAF48343-C825-44FE-BE58-A170A463B34B.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70

Vampgutz

Original Poster
I would do salads everday even if he don't eat them most days. It's way better to give him the option then having nothing available if he is hungry.
Okay, thank you. :) Will def do that. I do have some pics I took earlier in the previous reply, if you’re able to give me some advice. :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He does look just a tad thin, but he doesn't look sickly. I would just feed him a little more protein. I wouldn't do dried insects, i don't think they will have the nutrition he needs.

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Okay, thank you. :) I’ll see what I can do about getting live insects. As of late, ordering them live has been difficult due to it being 80-90 degrees and I don’t expect them to be alive. And unfortunately my father just says to catch them outside, so that’s not very trustworthy either. Healy did enjoy dubia roaches the first time I tried them, though, so maybe they’ll be a better option than crickets right now. Thanks again :)

Vampgutz

Original Poster
Hi, I know I’ve already gotten an opinion from the previous replier, but I’m wondering if I could also have an opinion from you. I have recent pics in my last reply to you, so if you have an opinion to give, that’d be great. :) Sorry if I seem pushy or something lol, just worried for Healy.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom