Weight and age

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello everyone! My beardie is Mushu, we got him in July and they said he was 2-4ish months (not much help from them) on October 27th he was 17.5 inches long and weighed 296 grams. So that would put him in the 7-8 months range? I’m not too sure. I do not want to under feed him or over feed him. He loves his salads and his super worms. I know at some point he needs to be cut back on the wormies but I don’t want to pull back too soon. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (The photos were taken while he was sleeping)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone! My beardie is Mushu, we got him in July and they said he was 2-4ish months (not much help from them) on October 27th he was 17.5 inches long and weighed 296 grams. So that would put him in the 7-8 months range? I’m not too sure. I do not want to under feed him or over feed him. He loves his salads and his super worms. I know at some point he needs to be cut back on the wormies but I don’t want to pull back too soon. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (The photos were taken while he was sleeping)
He looks hefty-- I would cut back on the super worms - they are a treat worm and will put a lot of weight on him --- you want a staple insect like crickets-- dubia roaches I recommend them-- silk worms -- or BSFL--- salads every day more of them and insects once per day till hes a yr old - then they need to go to 2-3 times per week --- if you need websites for the insects please let me know we can all post some here for you

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
I do give his crickets but I’m not sure how many to give. I buy the 1/2 in ones and keep a bunch at home I’d do the same for the Dubai but I’m not sure how to keep them at home and how many to give him. I do appreciate all the advice. I do know he’s a chunker and I’d like to slim him down a bit. How much should he weigh at this length? He just started to head bob the other day for no reason and his beard turned black so I’m thinking he hit puberty finally or can he do that at any age?

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Yeah I think they can head bob pretty early on, cuz my 5 months old started head bobbing at his reflection too. You can search for bearded dragon weight and length growth chart or something like that. Although there aren’t really any precise standards, just ranges. Mine is 16.5 inches and 250 grams.

You can keep dubias pretty much the same way you keep crickets really. Put them in a tub, give them egg crates to hide, gut load them w/ veggies. Roaches are also more filling than crickets.

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Okay sounds easy enough but how many should I feed him? I already feel bad he’s chunky so I don’t want to over do the crickets and Dubai’s.
I know I must sound like I have no idea what I’m doing but this is really the only problem I’m having is not knowing how much to feed him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay sounds easy enough but how many should I feed him? I already feel bad he’s chunky so I don’t want to over do the crickets and Dubai’s.
I know I must sound like I have no idea what I’m doing but this is really the only problem I’m having is not knowing how much to feed him
Feed as many as he will eat in 10-15 minutes but please make sure your feeding salads as well -- we want him eating just bugs --- if your having issues w/ him eating no salads get some BSFL and use those as salad lures --- put them on top of his salad in front of him and feed as many as you want they are a good staple feeder for babies DO NOT dust them - they are a great compliment to his main insect --- I would go for the dubias they are more filling and more nutritious-- you can get the BSFL and roaches from here -- on this site they are known as nutri grubs --- keep them on your counter or in the fridge on the door - if you do that you will need to get them out atleast 15 minutes before feeding as they go dormant - you want them moving
www.dubiaroaches.com

loveminimouse1

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello I’ve really been watching what I’ve been giving him just wondering if he looks a healthier weight? He’s now 18in and 317grams

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello I’ve really been watching what I’ve been giving him just wondering if he looks a healthier weight? He’s now 18in and 317grams
You can keep dubias in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food - dubia dew and what you feed the dragon - I feed mine carrots - squash - raw sweet potatoe -- fruit- do not feed the dragon carrots if your feeding the dubias too much Vit A - He looks good ---

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He is a very pretty dragon.
His liner in the bottom of his habitat, is it hard plastic? I'm converting a ferret cage into a habitat and it has plastic trays that look similar, and i was wandering how well he gets traction walking on it?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Cool beans, i may order them to put in my plastic trays, i think they may not get good traction on the plastic.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom