Wanting to ensure my girls 40g temps are okay. Advice?

Krissy_p

Beardie name(s)
John McClane
I’ve been posting now for close to a week. Scarlett has another appointment tomorrow for another check up regarding her parasites. It’s day 3 of not really being interested in food at all. No interest in greens in 2 days and no interest in insects started yesterday. I went into a local reptile shop and talked with them. They gave me lots of good tips on changing up her greens. I did so, but to no avail :(

She seems to be losing some weight still and super, super lethargic. I didn’t handle her at all today besides trying to feed. I didn’t want to stress her seeing that we have a car ride tomorrow for the vet.

So her setup: she’s in a 40g right now, mesh top. We ordered a 4x2x2, but we’re not going to transfer her until she’s parasite free and feeling healthy again. We have a 100w basking bulb dome above the mesh and a tube 12% Arcadia T5 above the mesh on the basking side. Warm side temps are only 88°, basking 95° and cool side 75-80°. Humidity is 30% warm side and 50% cool side. As of today, the reptile store owner sold and showed us how to use an under tank heat mat. I’ve installed it and she’s actually asleep in her hide on the floor now collecting it’s heat (her lights are off for the night except for the mat). So I know it’s working. She normally has tile substrate, but I took it out and switched to paper towels when she tested positive for parasites. Also, I don’t usually keep water in there, but her humidity dropped pretty low today, so I was trying to raise it.

From what I understand, and from what I can tell, husbandry seems to be on point. But I just wanted to double check, because if the reason she’s not eating has anything to do with the temperatures, I need to do something. Could very well be that she’s sick, but I just want to be 100% sure of her set up before I blame her lethargy and not eating on her parasites. Any advice y’all can give would be great. The vet said it looked fine, but sometimes you need a 2nd 3rd and 4th opinion 😅

Photo of her setup, lights and one of her saying “nope” to her salad and dubias”.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DEF96CE9-C4DA-40CE-AC7B-7B735DE0C3C4.jpeg
    DEF96CE9-C4DA-40CE-AC7B-7B735DE0C3C4.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ve been posting now for close to a week. Scarlett has another appointment tomorrow for another check up regarding her parasites. It’s day 3 of not really being interested in food at all. No interest in greens in 2 days and no interest in insects started yesterday. I went into a local reptile shop and talked with them. They gave me lots of good tips on changing up her greens. I did so, but to no avail :(

She seems to be losing some weight still and super, super lethargic. I didn’t handle her at all today besides trying to feed. I didn’t want to stress her seeing that we have a car ride tomorrow for the vet.

So her setup: she’s in a 40g right now, mesh top. We ordered a 4x2x2, but we’re not going to transfer her until she’s parasite free and feeling healthy again. We have a 100w basking bulb dome above the mesh and a tube 12% Arcadia T5 above the mesh on the basking side. Warm side temps are only 88°, basking 95° and cool side 75-80°. Humidity is 30% warm side and 50% cool side. As of today, the reptile store owner sold and showed us how to use an under tank heat mat. I’ve installed it and she’s actually asleep in her hide on the floor now collecting it’s heat (her lights are off for the night except for the mat). So I know it’s working. She normally has tile substrate, but I took it out and switched to paper towels when she tested positive for parasites. Also, I don’t usually keep water in there, but her humidity dropped pretty low today, so I was trying to raise it.

From what I understand, and from what I can tell, husbandry seems to be on point. But I just wanted to double check, because if the reason she’s not eating has anything to do with the temperatures, I need to do something. Could very well be that she’s sick, but I just want to be 100% sure of her set up before I blame her lethargy and not eating on her parasites. Any advice y’all can give would be great. The vet said it looked fine, but sometimes you need a 2nd 3rd and 4th opinion 😅

Photo of her setup, lights and one of her saying “nope” to her salad and dubias”.
Please take the heat mat back - dragons heat from their backs not stomachs - the meds are knocking out her appetite -- make sure your keeping her hydrated--- you can feed her some slurrys of fresh vegies making them slurry so shes getting hydration - I would get your basking side up to 95-100 and the warm side in the 90's - raise the decor piece up if you can - what is the humidity in the tank? And are you using a analog ? If so I would get a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of the tank - you want optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --Exo Terra sells the hygrometer

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Please take the heat mat back - dragons heat from their backs not stomachs - the meds are knocking out her appetite -- make sure your keeping her hydrated--- you can feed her some slurrys of fresh vegies making them slurry so shes getting hydration - I would get your basking side up to 95-100 and the warm side in the 90's - raise the decor piece up if you can - what is the humidity in the tank? And are you using an analog ? If so I would get a digital probe hygrometer place on the back center wall of the tank - you want optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --Exo Terra sells the hygrometer
Thanks! I’m so overwhelmed sometimes because I get different info. The reptile breeder/store I went into yesterday is the one that suggested the heat mat 🤦🏻‍♀️ but if it’s dangerous I definitely want to remove it.

For the basking rock, if I raise the platform a few inches, that will get her only about 7 inches away from the 12% T5 uvb (she’s 9 inches away from the top as she sits now on her basking site). Will that be ok?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks! I’m so overwhelmed sometimes because I get different info. The reptile breeder/store I went into yesterday is the one that suggested the heat mat 🤦🏻‍♀️ but if it’s dangerous I definitely want to remove it.

For the basking rock, if I raise the platform a few inches, that will get her only about 7 inches away from the 12% T5 uvb (she’s 9 inches away from the top as she sits now on her basking site). Will that be ok?
You can try it but watch her behavior -- maybe you want to get a different basking decor piece to put under the UVB --- recommended distance is 12-15 inches --- see what her behavior is like w/ it that close if shes not basking for long periods of time then I would suggest another piece of decor --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom