Wanting to brumate??

Ginjasnapz

Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Hi all!

My beardie has been acting a little weird the last few days. He is around 13-14 months old and he’s been kinda slower and more sluggish. I don’t know if maybe he is wanting to brumate?? He is basking and he is eating. He used to eat salads right away but now he’s been waiting a while after it has been in his tank. He has also been going after the dubias more slowly than usual. He is currently shedding under his belly and on the top if his tail some so he could be moody and irritated because of that. He has been pooping everyday, or every other day. He has also been going to the cooler side of the tank where there is less lighting and is tilting his head looking up at the lights with a side eye almost as if he just wants them off lol Not sure if these can be brumation signs or he’s just in a mood because of the shedding. Any help is appreciated!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it's possible. some don't completely sleep, they just slow down and go off their food. that's what our guy does and he's 2 1/2.

it's best to go over your lights and temps if no one has done that with you yet. those being off can cause similar behavior. if they are on point, it's easier to troubleshoot other problems. what are your temps and how are you taking them? and what uvb do you have? i don't see that information in your profile.

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
We have a T5 10.0 uvb and we have probes in the tank and we have temp guns as well. Everything is normal the way it usually is.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
and the T5 is a long tube and not in a dome, correct?

another thing i thought of was that is about the age sir henry started wanting cooler temps for basking. he likes about 95° now instead of the 110°. (temps taken with the probe cause the temp guns can be wrong depending on the material they are reading off of.)

it could just be the shedding, or it could be a semi-brumation/slow down. or a combo of both. let's see what some others chime in with.

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Yes it is a long tube fixture. Also, he likes the temps cooler now also that he’s gotten older around 95-100. I will have to see once he’s done shedding how he acts.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom