Want to touch...

Alinannyms

Beardie name(s)
Marcy
It's only been 3 days with Marcy, but I've already fallen in love. He's finally got a bigger appetite today! He ate around 10 or so roaches in one sitting. I've tried moving my hands near him to feed him by hand, but he either ignores it or runs away. He's been exploring more and more today and at one point came up to the glass to look at me while I was on my computer. But now...

Now I'm worried that I need to be doing something to get him used to me? I don't really know... how... to form a bond. I was thinking I could try petting him or something, but I've heard you should wait at least a week before trying anything like this. Is that true? And if so, how can I alleviate his fear right now? I'd love to do whatever I can to make him feel comfortable, and honestly I'm worried I'm not doing enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It's only been 3 days with Marcy, but I've already fallen in love. He's finally got a bigger appetite today! He ate around 10 or so roaches in one sitting. I've tried moving my hands near him to feed him by hand, but he either ignores it or runs away. He's been exploring more and more today and at one point came up to the glass to look at me while I was on my computer. But now...

Now I'm worried that I need to be doing something to get him used to me? I don't really know... how... to form a bond. I was thinking I could try petting him or something, but I've heard you should wait at least a week before trying anything like this. Is that true? And if so, how can I alleviate his fear right now? I'd love to do whatever I can to make him feel comfortable, and honestly I'm worried I'm not doing enough.
Letting him get used to the tank and surroundings is key - pet him in the tank - hand feed him worms like super worms 1-3 they are a treat worm BSFL they are a good staple feeder - hand taming him is key here but you need to be patient and let him learn to trust you - this is important - put piece of clothing or a small blanket in his hide w/ your smell on it - he will get used to that smell - approach from the side never above he will think your hand is a predator -- make sure all your lighting and temps are good in the tank --- this will help him acclimate to his tank and surroundings better

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Go slow and be patient, he is brand new to the world. Everything is new and scary to him. We are big scary gaints to them. You have to build trust first, then worry about bonding. Don't get discouraged it will not happen over night, it usually takes months, but it's worth the wait, once they bond with you they can be down right needy and demanding lol.

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Go slow and be patient, he is brand new to the world. Everything is new and scary to him. We are big scary gaints to them. You have to build trust first, then worry about bonding. Don't get discouraged it will not happen over night, it usually takes months, but it's worth the wait, once they bond with you they can be down right needy and demanding lol.
That makes sense thank you. So, like Karrie said, should I just try more with hand feeding? I have a small plush in there that smells like me, but he doesn't go over by it much so I don't know if I should move it closer to his basking spot or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That makes sense thank you. So, like Karrie said, should I just try more with hand feeding? I have a small plush in there that smells like me, but he doesn't go over by it much so I don't know if I should move it closer to his basking spot or not.
The scent on it will let him know it's you when your working w/ him - it will connect the two

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yeah hand feed, have your hands as near him as you can without scaring him, spend time near him and talking to him. Don't make really fast gestures, at least at first.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people putting in a small article of their clothing like a sock or something in the enclosure so they can get used to your scent 😄 obviously it would have to be something they can't snag their nails on so nothing too fluffy - this could help

Edit: Oops karrieree mentioned it already sorry , but give it a try 😉

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Ok... update. Hand feeding isn't going so well. He ate one worm out of my hand last night and then decided he doesn't like the taste and refuses to eat anymore. On top of that, when I try to feed him roaches, he really just looks at it funny until I drop it over in his dish, where he will (sometimes) gobble it down. I'm getting the impression I'm doing something wrong, as he has a dark belly with white spots when I'm near him, and I can't tell if that's stress marks or not. Any help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok... update. Hand feeding isn't going so well. He ate one worm out of my hand last night and then decided he doesn't like the taste and refuses to eat anymore. On top of that, when I try to feed him roaches, he really just looks at it funny until I drop it over in his dish, where he will (sometimes) gobble it down. I'm getting the impression I'm doing something wrong, as he has a dark belly with white spots when I'm near him, and I can't tell if that's stress marks or not. Any help?
Post pic please

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
It's hard for me to tell, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any of this when he's sleeping

Attachments

• 20221229_123620.jpg
    20221229_123620.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 59

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Beardies are predators, they a movement motivated. The dropping and subsequent skittering of the bugs is probably why he is going for them.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That is stress marks, it's common in babies, as they become more comfortable and self assured you will rarely see them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's hard for me to tell, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any of this when he's sleeping
Yes those are stress marks ---- make sure your surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your using a long tube UVB -- I think we went over all that w / you didnt we? they will go away in time as he becomes adjusted to the tank and surroundings - it may take a while for him - keep working w/ him - get him some super worms medium ones and feed those 1-3 every other day out of your hand - see how that goes --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just be patient, it may take a short time or longer time. You can just let your hand linger in the tank for 10 minutes every day and he will eventually get used to it. No petting, that will irritate him most likely. BTW, your scent is in the tank all the time because it's on the decor that you touch, the insects, etc.
After a few weeks if he's still skittish let me know, I'll tell you what will most likely work once you've waited long enough if he still refuses to be held.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom