Walking wobbly and possible vision issues

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Could you reread what you wrote, I'm hoping you had a typo. Or I'm confused. You said it's too close, then said, but... It's too close

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could you reread what you wrote, I'm hoping you had a typo. Or I'm confused. You said it's too close, then said, but... It's too close
Sorry I confused my self ---- :LOL: 8 inches is too close if hes not basking for long periods of time - 10 min is not long enough so w/ that being said I would move the UVB up to 12 inches - then see if hes starts basking for longer periods of time

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Being that it's his "down" season, he's not all that active in general but, from time to time when he does go for a stroll, he does spend a considerable amount of time under his basking light. However as I said, given the season, he's preferable to his "corner " more than anywhere else. Basking area included of course.
All that aside, he may choose not to bask under the heat lamp based on the proximity of the uvb lamp?
I was unaware of that. Of course I realize range matters, I just didn't know it could result in him avoiding the heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Being that it's his "down" season, he's not all that active in general but, from time to time when he does go for a stroll, he does spend a considerable amount of time under his basking light. However as I said, given the season, he's preferable to his "corner " more than anywhere else. Basking area included of course.
All that aside, he may choose not to bask under the heat lamp based on the proximity of the uvb lamp?
I was unaware of that. Of course I realize range matters, I just didn't know it could result in him avoiding the heat.
If the bulb is too strong it may effect the basking times

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey Traci, have you had a chance to see this thread? I was hoping you might be able to share your thoughts.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think your lighting is probably OK. 8'' is a little close for a T5 as mentioned, but if there are a lot of distance options available around the enclosure, it shouldn't cause much issue. I'd try to get the dimmer issue sorted out, especially if the bulb is flickering on and off frequently. Not the end of the world but it's not ideal to have it not be on and bright for most of the day.
The wobbling could be a number of things. The atadenovirus could certainly be a factor. Have you noticed any cloudiness in his eyes? That could indicate cataracts or similar which could cause loss of vision. I'd continue to try and include veges in his diet as well. 700g sounds overweight but that could just reflect a larger dragon than I'm used to (500g 8yr old).

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No cloudiness, but he does get bubbles in his eyes, seems mostly after eating.
I've struggled for quite some time getting him to eat veggies. He's always been stubborn about it.
There's a few select things he'll eat a little of, (bell peppers, blueberries, and I've tried various baby foods) but for the most part, it seems to be about not wanting anything that doesn't move.
Given that it's his "down time" of year, it'll be harder to do any experimenting. I don't let him fully brumate because of the adeno, but he does spend quite a bit more time in his corner and eats less.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My apologies in advance for the trouble but, I thought I'd try to reach out to Traci one more time in hopes of getting her thoughts on this post.
If anybody viewing this speaks to her soon I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't mind directing her to this thread. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I somehow missed this one, I don't always get to my PMessages!
Have you posted any pictures of your setup so we can see your lighting? I agree though, it sounds
like your lighting placement is fine.
Since he is 6 & has Adeno virus, chances are he may have some type of nutritional deficiency. Did
they do a blood test then, along with the x-rays to be sure his calcium levels were good? Sometimes
even though the x-rays appear good, his blood calcium levels might not be where they need to be. It
is just a thought, but a possibility. Many times with Adeno, they tend to have trouble with absorption of
calcium & nutrients. Hopefully it isn't gout though. Do you feed dubias?
Do you have pictures of him you could post also?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom