Walking weirdly and not active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
So yet again my girl has decided to put me in panic mode. She just recently got upgraded to a bigger tank and a t5 22" bulb. Her basking spots are hits ranges of 109-98 amongst the heights and different peices of furniture. Her t5 is mounted above the screen (it's a wide holed grate top as opposed to mesh screen) and the distance ranges are between 18-10", again depending on the decor. She has some shed problems, but mostly that she doesn't eat as much and tends to laze around. The past week she has been gradually eating less and less and today only ate three dubia. She's also not been up on her basking spot but laying on the tile floor where it hits about 97 and just staying there all day. I picked her up a minute ago and notice a couple of toes are, I say swollen but they don't look pink or anything wrong just bigger than the other and they don't seem to bother her when I touch them. When she does walk around her viv it's kind of jerky and she kind of drags her front feet as she moves them forward. But when I sit her on the floor of the house she walks perfectly fine. She gets calcium every day on atleast one feeding. Her poops are fine.

I feel so terrible! I've worked so hard to make sure she has the best of everything and somehow this happens. Last time she freaked me out with the RI scare that ended up being a clogged nose and scratched throat. There's no exotic vets near here which makes me worry even more ( the one I got her into last time only comes up this way on occasion and it's a random date each time).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Have you looked closely for a possible shed giving her problems on her toes?
Peaches likes the cooling effect of her tile floor (especially when she goes skinny dipping in her pool). She will get in get out get in...... over and over again soaking the tile and acting like she's swimming on the floor,lol! This happens when she sheds.
Not sure if this helps but, I do what I can.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
88712-759892627.jpg
88712-1195854834.jpg

It's just those two toes. It maybe nothing to do with toes either. I did just check thoroughly when I snapped these photos and I dot see anything that could be causing it. No she's or splinters or anything weird. I did flip her tiles over yesterday because they seemed a bit slippery so now they are bottom side up where it's almost like that rough terra cotta feel.

Is there any chance at all that a freshly molted roach could be making her sick??? She absolutely goes crazy over them, but this weird sick like behavior has happened the past two times the day after she eats a fresh white molted roach. It could just be coincidence though

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ya, a visit to the vet servant is your best option. It almost looks like the beginnings of gout. Not saying it is but worth checking out.
Get some black cherry juice or black cherry powder to help. Try some powdered alfalfa meal too, it has been known to be helpful with gout as well. I don't think trying this will cause any problems if it's not gout but a good precautionary measure.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It could possibly be gout. I would get her to a vet for a blood test. I would really check into each vet they may have someone that treats them even if they aren't called exotic/reptile vet.

I don't know what brand of uvb you have but I think there's an issue with the reptisuns right now.

I agree with Gormagon as well.

and no a molted roach shouldn't cause problems but I wouldn't feed roaches much protein, they store uric acid. I don't know if it causes problems to the reptile though.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kyleena29":6xxphgy4 said:
It could possibly be gout. I would get her to a vet for a blood test. I would really check into each vet they may have someone that treats them even if they aren't called exotic/reptile vet.

I don't know what brand of uvb you have but I think there's an issue with the reptisuns right now.

I agree with Gormagon as well.

and no a molted roach shouldn't cause problems but I wouldn't feed roaches much protein, they store uric acid. I don't know if it causes problems to the reptile though.
Excessive Uric acid is what causes gout. This is why I feed bugs greens and fruits. I feed only three roaches a day and a big pile of greens. She's happy and healthy and that makes this slave happy.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Where I'm at there are no vets that treat reptiles at all. When I though she had an RI I called out at a 3 hour radius. The one I finally found was a lady who came up from downtow Atlanta on occasion just to help out, but I'll call them today and see when she's back.

How is gout treated? I'll grab some cherry juice today and try it in the meantime. I don't feed her roaches any protein at all. They get a rotation of collards, oranges, squash, and carrots. Sometimes other veggies too but those are the basics. Could any of those be causing the build up? Doesngoit go away when the uric acid clears out or is this permanent? And she won't eat great at all. She just makes a big ole mess out of them!

I use a 10.0 t5 tube. I'm going to check into the reptisun problem too. Is there any chance that her bulb is too far away?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I don't think that would cause a build up. Dehydration can cause it too. You have to get allopurinol prescription for gout. I don't know what other causes there might be for the swelling. Maybe MBD?

As for the bulbs, you can't really know for sure without a meter. I had 4 brand new ones reading at a 2 at 10" away. But it doesn't mean yours is. I ordered the arcadias and am really upset over these reptisuns right now.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ugh aren't solarmeters like a couple hundred bucks?? I don't mean to sound cheap, but I am a poor lady!! Atleast in the drop a couple hundred bucks on a laser pointer aspect :/
I'll start calling today to see when that vet is in and try to take her in. I don't think it's mbd because I was actually worried she was getting too much calcium last week. Her unrates were a little hard and so I back off a bit. Today I'm going to mount her t5 inside the tank and see if that helps any. I'll grab cherry juice also. I'm sorry you're having so much problem with the reptisun :( that sucks!!

I remember her toes being like that for a while too so I'm going to go back through photos. Does that seem like gout swelling or is it possible that's normal for her? Her feet and legs haven't changed at all, just those two toes are swollen

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Whoa!!! No more oranges! They cannot have citrus, nothing with citric acid, this may be part of the problem!!!!

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The roaches get oranges, not the dragon. Still a no no????

She gets the roaches and collards, different kinds of squash depending on what is available, carrot slivers maybe once a week that I've never seen her eat, sometimes a raspberry or a grape slivers. But I've literally seen her eat a few bites of any of the veggies her entire life.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Omg I feel horrible!!!!! I've seen so many people feed their roaches orange slices!!!! Literally everywhere... I feel so bad ????

Ok no more citrus. I'll switch to apple slices. Can they still have the squash since they love it so much? Any pellets that are more recommended?? The pellets we have are the red flukers I think and they only get those when there's nothing else or I'll be out of town.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Those pellets will do fine. Don't panic, we all go through the trial and error process. Your dragon basicly eats what your roaches eat, only stands to reason that we don't feed them what our buddies can't have.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Honest to god I amkicking myself right now. I remember clearly asking myself out loud one day "I wonder why the roaches can have these but not the dragon? Makes no sense. Oh well here ya go roaches!"

What I'm still confused about is how many other people I've seen feeding their roaches orange slices. How long do you think it will take the roaches to clear this out of their systems? Im going to buy some crickets or worms in the meantime until her roaches are basically flushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom