Viv Building Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbelanger

Hi guys! My b/f and I are planning on building a viv for our beardie and we had some questions. We saw the crossfire plans and they look great, but we're trying to keep the budget a bit lower. So we have this great solid wood dresser with the proportions measuring 49" x 25" x 17 3/4" (or approx. 4' x 2' x 1.5'). We were thinking about gutting it and turning it into a viv, placing appropriate floors, doors, lighting, etc. So is this big enough (depth wise)? I feel as though 18" deep is a little too small, but I also thought maybe it'd be okay because our beardie is pretty small now and even as an adult I don't imagine him getting too big, because his parents were probably around 18" or so. What do you guys think? I thought it'd look really great using a piece of furniture. Thanks for your time in advance! :D

npedersen

Hatchling Member
The only thing is the height. By the time you put lights and a basking spot, your beardie will be too close to the loghts. Unless, you can put the lights ontop of the enclosure. I found out the hard way. Mine came out to about 18" and I have a hard time regulating temps. To keep the basking temp good for where he hangs out, I have to use a lower wattage bulb, which makes the cool side alittle too cool sometimes.

Just my .02

Nick

tbelanger

Original Poster
Hmm, I see your point. From the crossfire building walk-through it didn't seem to be a problem mounting them inside, however, I was wondering about that. I think we could definately mount them on top, just need to drill and cut portions out. Did anyone else have any problems regulating temperature with a 2' viv height?

npedersen

Hatchling Member
Is your height 25" or 17"? I was going by the standard l x w x h. If it is the 25" high then you should be fine. But now the thing is the depth, it should be atleast the length of your dragon. The extra 8" or so is plenty for the lights.

tbelanger

Original Poster
The height is 25", the width is 17". That's what I was intially wondering about. I mean my BD is 10 weeks now and approximately 7" - he/she is really little so I don't imagine him getting too big, but obviously you never know. I guess I was thinking/hoping that 17" would be enough because he is smaller and their full length does include a substantial amount of tail, so if he was 18" as an adult, he'd theoretically be able to stretch across with just one inch of tail curved against the glass. Is it really vital to have the width 24" or would it be okay to have the 17" seeing as it's a bit over 4' long and a bit more than 2' high? Thank you guys for your input, it's been helpful, keep it coming! :)

npedersen

Hatchling Member
It would be fine for now. I quess it would be like saying to lay down in the back seat of a car and not having enough room to stretch out. They can get up to 24" long. But it will be plenty for now. . .

Nick

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
It would probably still be better if you made it more wide, 24 + inches is proper for a beardie, I'm going with 27" wide for my viv, but maybe 17-18" is a risk because it would'nt be worth it if in the future you would need to building a completely new viv, know what I'm sayin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dizzykat
Top Bottom