Violent thrashing and hacking???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do these look right? We've got 4 people to keep him outside as often as possible until everything comes in. Vet tomorrow and will discuss his diet too!
The bulbs are good but you need the fixture too- they will not fit in the T 8 fixture-- look for the 24" zoo med hood/ fixture-- this is good for a 40+ gallon tank-

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The bulbs are good but you need the fixture too- they will not fit in the T 8 fixture-- look for the 24" zoo med hood/ fixture-- this is good for a 40+ gallon tank-
Thank you! The bulb/fixture are set to arrive tomorrow. Update: he has had several 15-30 minute sessions of direct sun in the last few hours. An hour and a half ago he had a normal, healthy looking poop! First all week! Unfortunately the family member sitting with him washed him and the tank thoughly asap so we dont have a sample. He also started getting more active and more alert! Way less coughing and no repeat of the head shaking. Going to the vet right now! Will ask about digestion and see if we can improve his supplements as well. Thank you so much! Beyond grateful for this community's attention and care 💙

Attachments

• 20220513_141748.jpg
    20220513_141748.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 16524699467293694742226514302532.jpg
    16524699467293694742226514302532.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 174

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

Bless him, he is probably having a hard time digesting, as well as getting around a little bit.
The Reptisun 10 T5 tube bulb is a great bulb so we definitely recommend that one. You can
mount it around 8-10 inches away, alongside of the basking light.
Have you had a fecal done on him? He could have worms or parasites affecting him also.
Since he hasn't had very strong UVB it's possible he has developed metabolic bone disease,
& might be having some pain, too.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Thank you! The bulb/fixture are set to arrive tomorrow. Update: he has had several 15-30 minute sessions of direct sun in the last few hours. An hour and a half ago he had a normal, healthy looking poop! First all week! Unfortunately the family member sitting with him washed him and the tank thoughly asap so we dont have a sample. He also started getting more active and more alert! Way less coughing and no repeat of the head shaking. Going to the vet right now! Will ask about digestion and see if we can improve his supplements as well. Thank you so much! Beyond grateful for this community's attention and care 💙

Attachments​

• 20220513_141748.jpg
    20220513_141748.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
    179.5 KB ·

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Attachments​

• 20220513_141748.jpg
    20220513_141748.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
    179.5 KB ·
Please no enemas!!! Get another fecal from him and take it in

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please no enemas!!! Get another fecal from him and take it
Vet says he has a mouth infection, lung infection, possible impaction, dehydration, and has gone too long without eating. He has plaque build up on the back of his tongue. Vet thinks it is making it uncomfortable to eat and that he is thrashing becaue of that. Toothless seemed really sick again at the vet. He was hacking and thrashing. He started having tremors while there. She said stress and/or hypoglycemia. Bones look great on x-ray. Came away with antibiotics, meloxicam, and high calorie dietary susupplements. Vet said we should be braced for the worst but hope for the best.

After another 20 min snuggling in the sun, he is regaining color, he isnt hacking, and is peacefully napping. Focusing on making him as comfortable as possible and supporting his recovery while he fights the infections.

Thank you again. The strong sun seems to give him so much relief. Im so grateful for the suggestion.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Vet says he has a mouth infection, lung infection, possible impaction, dehydration, and has gone too long without eating. He has plaque build up on the back of his tongue. Vet thinks it is making it uncomfortable to eat and that he is thrashing becaue of that. Toothless seemed really sick again at the vet. He was hacking and thrashing. He started having tremors while there. She said stress and/or hypoglycemia. Bones look great on x-ray. Came away with antibiotics, meloxicam, and high calorie dietary susupplements. Vet said we should be braced for the worst but hope for the best.

After another 20 min snuggling in the sun, he is regaining color, he isnt hacking, and is peacefully napping. Focusing on making him as comfortable as possible and supporting his recovery while he fights the infections.

Thank you again. The strong sun seems to give him so much relief. Im so grateful for the suggestion.
Poor little guy- I am so glad the sun is helping him- make sure you have no water bowls in the tank- what is the humidity in the tank ? I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter to keep your tank around 80 at nite- it will help him w/ his immune system- till he gets well

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow poor thing, at least taking him outside is helping him out right now.
I am happy to hear that he isn't coughing & having such a hard time right now. I think you are
doing everything you can for him. I hope he is feeling better soon.
Which powdered food/supplement did he give you?

Tracie

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

Wow poor thing, at least taking him outside is helping him out right now.
I am happy to hear that he isn't coughing & having such a hard time right now. I think you are
doing everything you can for him. I hope he is feeling better soon.
Which powdered food/supplement did he give you?

Tracie
I think being outside and being held are relaxing. He seems to calm down! They gave us a powder that says "omnivore critical care powder" with instructions to mix in water or baby food. It is in a prescription bottle.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think being outside and being held are relaxing. He seems to calm down! They gave us a powder that says "omnivore critical care powder" with instructions to mix in water or baby food. It is in a prescription bottle.
That is good stuff- is it liquid form or powder? If it's powder it's going to be thick- I would opt for the baby food-- you may haft to water it down if it's being syringe fed- you can try using some squash baby food and try and see if he will lick off a spoon otherwise you may haft to snip the end of the syringe off so it doesn't plug and feed slowly so he does not aspirate - let him swallow what you put in-

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Poor little guy- I am so glad the sun is helping him- make sure you have no water bowls in the tank- what is the humidity in the tank ? I would recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter to keep your tank around 80 at nite- it will help him w/ his immune system- till he gets well
We do have a ceramic heat lamp! The cool side of his tank hovered around 80-85 last night; got down to 75 F, but bounced back quickly. His humidity averages 35. Had a weird spike to 55 last night, not sure why that would be. No water in the tank. Could be because the sensor was close to his food bowl? We did leave a serving of veggies out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We do have a ceramic heat lamp! The cool side of his tank hovered around 80-85 last night; got down to 75 F, but bounced back quickly. His humidity averages 35. Had a weird spike to 55 last night, not sure why that would be. No water in the tank. Could be because the sensor was close to his food bowl? We did leave a serving of veggies out.
Please do not leave food in the tank overnight- dragons should be fed at least 2-3 hrs before lights out- what dropped to 55?

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
That is good stuff- is it liquid form or powder? If it's powder it's going to be thick- I would opt for the baby food-- you may haft to water it down if it's being syringe fed- you can try using some squash baby food and try and see if he will lick off a spoon otherwise you may haft to snip the end of the syringe off so it doesn't plug and feed slowly so he does not aspirate - let him swallow what you put in-
It powder!
Please do not leave food in the tank overnight- dragons should be fed at least 2-3 hrs before lights out- what dropped to 55?
The humidity reading showed a sudden humidity spike from 40 to 55 for a few minutes around 4 am. Not sure if it was a glitch on the reader. I moved the reader to a different spot in the tank to watch tonight.

We will start removing his food! He often wakes up and eats his salad from the day before first thing in the morning (when he wasnt sick). Guess greens age well in his mind?

He got excited about the medicated food and kept grabbing the syringe once he realized it had tasty stuff in it. Thinking the vet was right that solid foods are uncomfortable rather than a lack of appetite. Encouraging!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It powder!

The humidity reading showed a sudden humidity spike from 40 to 55 for a few minutes around 4 am. Not sure if it was a glitch on the reader. I moved the reader to a different spot in the tank to watch tonight.

We will start removing his food! He often wakes up and eats his salad from the day before first thing in the morning (when he wasnt sick). Guess greens age well in his mind?

He got excited about the medicated food and kept grabbing the syringe once he realized it had tasty stuff in it. Thinking the vet was right that solid foods are uncomfortable rather than a lack of appetite. Encouraging!
Try placing the humidity gauge in the center middle of the tank-- are you using a analog or one w/ a probe

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
The Omnivore powdered food is nutritional. He does like it?
They usually love being held so it sounds like he is bonding well with you.
Do you know what the humidity is in his tank during the day?

I hope he is doing better so keep us posted on him!

Tracie

ToothlesssMom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hey all! Toothless has made an incredible recovery! He started looking much better after the sun/improved lights, eating the omnivore powder, and the antibiotics. He is pooping pretty much the same as normal. He is eating his greens and worms (turning his nose up at squash and fruit, lol) and we are still giving him a small amount of omnivore slurry with baby food. He looks healthy and is running around the house (careful supervision) or sitting on our shoulders in the sun. Happy lizard! He still has a very occasional light cough, but his antibiotics arent finished yet.

Your suggestions helped us calm him down during a very stressful time. His light set up will surely help his immune system. The instructions for syringe feeding was so helpful too. The vet didnt think he would make it when she saw him last week. Now we are all thrilled with his recovery.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And Toothless does too!

Attachments

• 20220418_173426.jpg
    20220418_173426.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211114_130906.jpg
    20211114_130906.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210606_134830.jpg
    20210606_134830.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200809_165108.jpg
    20200809_165108.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 73

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom