Vet Mis-diagnosis? Male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitlings

Original Poster
Simple question: Is my dragon male or female?

Charmander was sold to me at 5 months old by a reputable breeder, as a male dragon. Shortly after, I took him to an exotic veterinarian, Dr. Susan Kelleher of Broward Avian & Exotic (I live in the area and had no idea they were the star of a National Geographic show before I started going there - I was just looking for a good vet!). I had been going to Avian & Exotic for years, as this isn't my first beardie, and I usually was seen by Dr. Santiago Diaz (who is excellent with reptiles). Dr. Diaz moved to Orlando to open his own practice, so I needed to see another vet at the BA&E.

Long story short, Dr. K strongly insisted that my dragon was female, across 2 separate vet visits. During the last visit, my dragon was about 1 year old. I believe her main evidence was the femoral pores, which I suppose are smaller than average (I wonder if being a Leatherback affects their size?). I'm not one to deny a professional opinion, so I figured the breeder was somehow wrong. I don't breed my dragons, so I didn't really care or tell my breeder about the diagnosis.

Well, I do mentally apologize to my breeder now. I noticed a bulge at the base of Charmander's tail today, and decided to fully inspect what was going on. I am NOT a vet, but I have to say this looks male as heck to me.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 166
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 128
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom