Vet Mis-diagnosis? Male or female?

Kitlings

Original Poster
Simple question: Is my dragon male or female?

Charmander was sold to me at 5 months old by a reputable breeder, as a male dragon. Shortly after, I took him to an exotic veterinarian, Dr. Susan Kelleher of Broward Avian & Exotic (I live in the area and had no idea they were the star of a National Geographic show before I started going there - I was just looking for a good vet!). I had been going to Avian & Exotic for years, as this isn't my first beardie, and I usually was seen by Dr. Santiago Diaz (who is excellent with reptiles). Dr. Diaz moved to Orlando to open his own practice, so I needed to see another vet at the BA&E.

Long story short, Dr. K strongly insisted that my dragon was female, across 2 separate vet visits. During the last visit, my dragon was about 1 year old. I believe her main evidence was the femoral pores, which I suppose are smaller than average (I wonder if being a Leatherback affects their size?). I'm not one to deny a professional opinion, so I figured the breeder was somehow wrong. I don't breed my dragons, so I didn't really care or tell my breeder about the diagnosis.

Well, I do mentally apologize to my breeder now. I noticed a bulge at the base of Charmander's tail today, and decided to fully inspect what was going on. I am NOT a vet, but I have to say this looks male as heck to me.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 163
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 124
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 123
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 133

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom