Vet is telling me to wait until tail falls off.

Ma.hamilton

Original Poster
My senior bearded dragon has been having an unexpected fight with tail rot. He gets baths, an antiseptic solution and a topical antibiotic after the bath almost daily. The end of the tail is completely dry, black, and brittle. It’s beginning to split off and my dragon is very dark but still eating and drinking. It seems the dead part of the tail is just hanging by a small patch of healthy scales. I called the vet and they told me to just let it fall off and that it may take weeks. It seems like my dragon is in a lot of pain. He is losing probably 1/3 of his tail, it’s not just the tip. Does anyone have experience with this? I worry he won’t survive an amputation due to his age.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My senior bearded dragon has been having an unexpected fight with tail rot. He gets baths, an antiseptic solution and a topical antibiotic after the bath almost daily. The end of the tail is completely dry, black, and brittle. It’s beginning to split off and my dragon is very dark but still eating and drinking. It seems the dead part of the tail is just hanging by a small patch of healthy scales. I called the vet and they told me to just let it fall off and that it may take weeks. It seems like my dragon is in a lot of pain. He is losing probably 1/3 of his tail, it’s not just the tip. Does anyone have experience with this? I worry he won’t survive an amputation due to his age.
Yes please post a pic of the tail

Ma.hamilton

Original Poster
8EDC6BBD-1775-44EE-BA68-400ACA866368.jpeg

Attachments

• 849DA8C1-C998-48A6-9115-C3E906D6FA20.jpeg
    849DA8C1-C998-48A6-9115-C3E906D6FA20.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 63

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get some raw unpasteurized honey on that right away --- no crickets in the tank -- I am flagging your post to AHBD here is a website to find a vet in your area if your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code www.arav.org
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the others, the tail will not fall off, even if it does the infection is spreading up under the scales. That's why when they DO amputate, an experienced vet will cut a little way above the obvious trauma. It's very important to get it done, there's little to no chance of survival without it.

Here's one short video, slightly graphic at about the halfway point but not bloody.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh yes that does need to be amputated,
because there is infection present. As
already stated, the infection will continue
to spread upwards.
This is a low risk surgery but with all
surgeries there are always slight chances
of problems with anesthesia reactions.
As long as the vet gives the proper dose
& oxygen intake during surgery, he should
be fine. How old is he?

Let us know how things are going. I hope
you are able to find another vet.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom