Vet doesn't want to treat pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

natnat

My 7 mo old had coccidia in his fecal two weeks ago, I treated with ponazuril and luckily the coccidia are gone on his current fecal. He got better for a few days and started eating again, but now he's back to being lethargic and not eating. So I did another fecal and it came back with high pinworms but the vet said she doesn't want to treat them even though he's having symptoms. This seems weird to me, should I push harder to get dewormer for the pinworms since he's not feeling well? or should I just keep waiting to see?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do you have the fecal results from last test ---- if you do or can get them please post so Tracie can see them -- what UVB are you using? brand and bulb and where is it in the tank ? If your using a coil they are NO good --- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer -- did you sanitize the tank during the time you were treating --- everything should of been taken out and cleaned thoroughly each time he pooped -- that is the only way to keep them from coming back -- what are you using for a substrate?

natnat

Original Poster
Housing info: 4x2x2 viv, tile substrate, reptisun 10.0 T5 HO 12 in from basking spot. Basking spot 105F, cool side 85F, I use a temp gun to check. I cleaned the viv with 10% ammonia and steam cleaner every day while I was treating the coccidia. The original fecal said low amount of pinworms and moderate amount of coccidia, and since he was having symptoms we treated the coccidia. He started getting better for a few days but is now back to hiding and not eating, the most recent fecal showed no coccidia but high levels of pinworms. (They couldn't give me exact counts.) So I don't know if waiting or pushing to treat the pinworms is better at this point. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If he's hiding and lethargic something is going on - I flagged your post to Tracie the vet tech - she's on at nite--- I am posting a website to find another vet - this would be a reptile vet
www.arav.org see what Tracie has to say- he should probably be treated now for the pinworms but those should of been treated the same time as the coccidia

natnat

Original Poster
Thank you, I actually am taking him to a board certified exotics vet so their answer was a little weird to me. I also mentioned to the vet I was thinking about providing a dig box for enrichment for him at some point and she said males shouldn't have access to a dig box becuase this could cause negative repro behaviors? I've never heard of this before, is this a legit issue?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you happen to know the levels of pinworms by chance?
Normally it is best to treat if there are symptoms causing him to be ill or have a lack of appetite.
Especially if he is losing weight, it would probably be best to treat him, even if just a couple of
treatments/doses.
Did you give any probiotics during the Ponazuril medication round?

Tracie

natnat

Original Poster
They didn't give me an exact count it just said many pinworm. Luckily he hasn't lost weight he's just had a low appetite and energy level. I gave him some acidophilz while I was treating the coccidia but only for a few days because he really does not enjoy taking it. Can the pinworms go away on their own now his system is recovered from the coccidia? I can try giving him some more probiotics if that would help too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The probiotics probably wont do much for the pinworm count but it can definitely help to
settle his tummy. How long has it been since he has been done with the Ponazuril treatment?
You could give it a little more time to see if his pinworm counts reduce naturally, as long as he
is not losing weight.
You could try an herbal remedy such as mixing parsley, mint, oregano & basil into a paste with
water & give to him daily to help ward off parasites, etc.
Have you tried bee pollen for help with appetite boosting?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure he has good basking temps and UVB -- those two things will also help him fight off the pinworm count

natnat

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! It's been about 2.5 weeks since he's been done with the ponazuril. I'll try some bee powder for him. I submitted another fecal since the vet said he could be intermittently shedding and it came back as "marked pinworm ova" present. So I guess the vet seems to think that even high levels of pinworm aren't a big deal. I suppose I could get panacur from another source since it's generally not too hard on their system, I don't see any downside to treating but I guess the vet does.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Most of us would agree that treating a moderate to high level of pinworms is acceptable to
treat, to help get the levels lowered. Panacur is pretty mild so it would be safe to give.

Tracie

natnat

Original Poster
He's still lethargic and not super interested in food. Luckily the vet finally gave in and gave me some panacur so hopefully that will help. He's getting two doses (.1ml, he's 300g) of the panacur 14 days apart which seems a little far apart to me but hopefully it will help.

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Hello,

The probiotics probably wont do much for the pinworm count but it can definitely help to
settle his tummy. How long has it been since he has been done with the Ponazuril treatment?
You could give it a little more time to see if his pinworm counts reduce naturally, as long as he
is not losing weight.
You could try an herbal remedy such as mixing parsley, mint, oregano & basil into a paste with
water & give to him daily to help ward off parasites, etc.
Have you tried bee pollen for help with appetite boosting?

Tracie
@Drache613 @CooperDragon Beans’ fecal came back with pin worms. I asked how many and the lady said quite a few. She was the receptionist I didn’t actually talk to the vet. They asked me to weigh him and pick up the medication Monday. His appetite and energy level don’t seem to be affected at all by this. I only took the fecal and because his poops are pretty unformed and watery. Should I wait a while and see if this clears up by using this herb slurry you’re talking about? Seems like the treatment can be sort of harsh. What do you guys think?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Beans it's always good to start your own thread rather than mingling your dragon's treatment with this one, just a friendly reminder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom