Very Sad Situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith167

Hatchling Member
I'll start by saying I've had Dragons for about 10 yrs (and have bred them a few times). Yesterday morning my wife fed one of my Dragons 5 med sized blue worms. She had not yet basked and was probably cold. 15 minutes later She was laying completely black bearding, mouth open and had thrown up two of the blue worms. (The end of the worms looked metallic, like eyeshadow which I have never seen before). I held her in a warm bath for a few minutes. She looked like she was close to death. She's completely paralyzed now. I expected her to not make it thru the night but she's still fighting.
Sadly, My experience w Dragons is that theres nothing I can do for her except comfort her til the end. I'm kind of in shock and have no idea what happened...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'll start by saying I've had Dragons for about 10 yrs (and have bred them a few times). Yesterday morning my wife fed one of my Dragons 5 med sized blue worms. She had not yet basked and was probably cold. 15 minutes later She was laying completely black bearding, mouth open and had thrown up two of the blue worms. (The end of the worms looked metallic, like eyeshadow which I have never seen before). I held her in a warm bath for a few minutes. She looked like she was close to death. She's completely paralyzed now. I expected her to not make it thru the night but she's still fighting.
Sadly, My experience w Dragons is that theres nothing I can do for her except comfort her til the end. I'm kind of in shock and have no idea what happened...
Feed her some activated charcoal I do not know what blue worms are but it sounds like they were toxic --- follow the directions on the package please

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Feed her some activated charcoal I do not know what blue worms are but it sounds like they were toxic --- follow the directions on the package please
Blue worms, Horned worms, maybe also called Tomato worms?...
I called every pet place etc and no kne has activated charcoal. Health food store does have it. Anyone know how to dose it? I'm gonna try that here in a few...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Blue worms, Horned worms, maybe also called Tomato worms?...
I called every pet place etc and no kne has activated charcoal. Health food store does have it. Anyone know how to dose it? I'm gonna try that here in a few...
I am sorry I dont I dont know if it goes by weight I am not sure look at the box when you get it --- call a reptile vet
www.arav.org type in a bigger city zip code near you if your in a small town ---- weigh her on a kitchen food scale in grams --

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am sorry I dont I dont know if it goes by weight I am not sure look at the box when you get it --- call a reptile vet
www.arav.org type in a bigger city zip code near you if your in a small town ---- weigh her on a kitchen food scale in grams --
I have a phone consult w an exocitc vet later today. I'm gonna email Tracie as I have gotten good advice from her many times in the past and I buy all my stuff from her as well.
Don't know i can wait tho and may have to try and just use some logic on the amount.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Keith, were these wild ones or from an feeder insect company ? If they were from an actual company they would not be toxic but if caught outdoors they are slightly. Other than that they may have been too large and too many at once that the dragon could not digest. Can you post pics of the dragon as well as the rest of the hornworms if you have any ?

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Keith, were these wild ones or from an feeder insect company ? If they were from an actual company they would not be toxic but if caught outdoors they are slightly. Other than that they may have been too large and too many at once that the dragon could not digest. Can you post pics of the dragon as well as the rest of the hornworms if you have any ?
They were purchased at a Reptile shop where I've been buying them for years.
I'm hearing now that reptiles can get one bad bug and this can happen. I have some coconut activated charcoal liquid that I'm gonna try. Then I'm gonna do some warm baths and some baby food later if I can get ther to swallow.
She can't move. Its heart breaking...

Attachments

• 20211122_124103.jpg
    20211122_124103.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 143

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Since they were farm bred then they aren't toxic. There's a chance that she choked on one or it was lodged in her throat , cutting off air supply until she vomited it out. Beardies can take a few days to recupe after a vomiting episode but if she had her airway blocked that might affect her much worse, almost like a stroke. Still, there's hope so give it some time. Keep her in her tank, the room temps. are not warm enough for her. BTW, did I read in your post history that she is free roaming ? If so then there's opportunity for swallowing foreign objects as well . Best wishes for a successful recovery though, I hope to hear that she improves soon !

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They were purchased at a Reptile shop where I've been buying them for years.
I'm hearing now that reptiles can get one bad bug and this can happen. I have some coconut activated charcoal liquid that I'm gonna try. Then I'm gonna do some warm baths and some baby food later if I can get ther to swallow
Since they were farm bred then they aren't toxic. There's a chance that she choked on one or it was lodged in her throat , cutting off air supply until she vomited it out. Beardies can take a few days to recupe after a vomiting episode but if she had her airway blocked that might affect her much worse, almost like a stroke. Still, there's hope so give it some time. Keep her in her tank, the room temps. are not warm enough for her. BTW, did I read in your post history that she is free roaming ? If so then there's opportunity for swallowing foreign objects as well . Best wishes for a successful recovery though, I hope to hear that she improves soon !
Maybe she choked. I also spoke to a reptile shop owner who was telling he has heard of reptiles eating a bad feeder before and displaying instant paralysis. Im trying some charcoal and some baths etc.
I doubt she ate anything else. She ate the worms and literally minutes later, in the same spot where she ate them, her basking area, she threw up and was in bad shape.

Attachments

• 20211122_130752.jpg
    20211122_130752.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 100

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She probably choked on it then. And no, there's no such thing as a bad insect paralyzing a reptile, some pet shops make things up or just repeat a myth. Or they might have been thinking of how baby dragons can eat a huge insect and become paralyzed because it presses on the spine, it can possibly happen to an adult but it would not be from toxicity. Whatever has happened , I hope she survives and gets through this. Hang in there !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Keith,

I will also email you back but just checking in here. I agree with AHBD that it probably has something to do with her choking
since they can get rather large. I don't think they were toxic though since they weren't from the wild eating tomato leaves, etc.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I dont wanna get ahead of myself but she is showing slight improvements. I gave her some charcoal once. And I've been bathing her and giving her nutrient rich slurries (she may be eating a little bit)and keeping her warm. She's more upright today and less black. I put her in her basking spot after her morning bath and she grumpily walked around in a circle and repositioned herself. This is an improvement over yesterday...

Attachments

• 20211123_100229.jpg
    20211123_100229.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 118

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great news ! See she wasn't paralyzed, she just choked on the worms and threw them up and it usually takes at least a day or more to recupe from a bout of vomiting so her inactivity made it appear to you that she was paralyzed. Don't force any food in her, she needs to feel better and a few days without food is fine, especially for a chunky dragon.

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's great news ! See she wasn't paralyzed, she just choked on the worms and threw them up and it usually takes at least a day or more to recupe from a bout of vomiting so her inactivity made it appear to you that she was paralyzed. Don't force any food in her, she needs to feel better and a few days without food is fine, especially for a chunky dragon.
Man I hope so. Immediately after the incident she had a normal poop. In the bath I have been massaging her belly. She acts like she wants to go again. Then while basking she has peed just a little. Shes also very "gulpy". Her head bobs and she makes a gulping sound like swallowing. Now I'm thinking about a vet visit but i really don't like to do that as it always seems to be a death sentence for dragons.
(Oh, And she prefers "big boned" not "chunky" : ) (Her mother was a giant beast at like 1000grams)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think she's doing improving and will be even better yet tomorrow. Just let her rest, don't rush the feeding or too many soaks. Soaking is only helping if she drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom