Very ill baby, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued a baby beardie from my local Pet Smart. I think he may be a female, but he is so young and thin it's hard to tell. I have three other very happy healthy dragons. When I rescued Gage a week and a day ago he was skin and bones and barely breathing. I couldn't pass by and not try and save him. I really wasn't sure if he would make it through the night. I took him home and immediately gave him a warm soak and dribbled water off his nose. He drank heavily and lifted his head. I put him in a temporary cage so I could clean and sanitize my empty 20 gallon. In the temp cage he ate 5 tiny baby dubias. I tried so hard to nourish him for 2 days. Then I had to leave on a planned vacation. I left instructions for a friend who took care of my animals while I was away. I have been home for 2 days and Gage is in bad shape. :( He is so fatigued that he mostly just lays flat with his eyes closed. I have been soaking him twice a day for the last 2 days. I did force feed him a few reptiworms. He hasn't eaten on his own since the first day. I thought some protein might raise his energy level, but no. He barely drinks any water either. His eyes are a little sunken in and he is still horribly thin. Tonight I mixed up some baby food squash, water, and reptical and used a tiny needless syringe and got about 0.5 ml force fed slowly into him. I want so badly to save his poor little life. :cry: The specs on the viv are as follows. The viv is 20 gallon, paper towel substrate, Reptisun 10.0 12" tube uvb, 75 watt heat light, ceramic heat emitter at night (to boost his immune system), he mostly stays on his hammock basking temp 105 to 115, cool side 80, temps taken with heat probe at basking spot. Gage hasn't really gone over to the cool side. When he gets hot he moves off the hammock to the floor under the hammock. He is a beautiful leather back dunner (almost silk back). I want so badly for him to feel better and put on some weight and be happy. Please help! :cry: By the way the two associate at the pet store where I rescued him from said the other two dragon in with him died two days earlier. :angry5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that Gage is not doing well, poor thing. So, he may be female possibly?
How old would you say she is, less than 3 months or so?
Do you have any pictures of her & of your temporary tank setup?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb, how far away from her is it? Is it mounted underneath of the screen to help give her extra UVB exposure? Since she is a leatherback, try to keep the light 10 inches from her so it wont hurt her eyes. Be sure the basking light is mounted directly beside the Reptisun tube bulb.
Definitely continue to feed the baby food daily, along with calcium powder & diluted apple or cranberry juices. You can get some powdered bee pollen also to help with her immune system & just mix it in with the food.
I would try to get the basking temperatures a little lower. The silkbacks have trouble with dehydration & too high of temperatures. She is mostly leatherback, correct?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Beardiemom7

Original Poster
Dear Tracie,

Thank you for the advice. I will post pics tomorrow. The Reptisun is mounted inside the cage. I will lower the basking area to lower the temps. I believe based on Gage's size under 3 months. I believe she may be female because no visible male "bumps".

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
Also, I thought of another thing that probably has affected her was stress not only from bringing her home but from having someone else care for her temporarily.
I hope she sleeps well tonight.
That sounds good. The 115F may be a little much for her was what I was thinking, also.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Beardiemom7

Original Poster
Dear Tracie,

She seems a tiny bit better this morning. I moved the basking area down. It is now sitting at 103. I didn't know I didn't leave her ceramic heat on last night, but it may have helped. She had her eyes open for a little bit. I gave her a pedilyte bath this morning and she was force fed a little more watery baby food with reptical. I will send pics when I get home from work. Fingers crossed! :eek: :blob5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news she seems to be feeling better this morning. :D
Maybe the added nighttime heating did help some & lowering her basking will help also. She could have been dehydrated which will make them feel terrible, just like us when we are dehydrated.
Great that she has her eyes open more & ate some as well.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures, too.

Tracie

Beardiemom7

Original Poster
Well friends unfortunately Gage didn't make it. I came home from work and my husband said she passed during the day while I was at work. At least she lived with love for over a week which was much more than her clutch mates did. I will continue to help other beardies and animals in trouble. Rest in peace little Gage. :cry:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it =(. I'm sure she appreciated the help and care you gave to her. Please do continue to help dragons in need. There are a lot of them out there who need good care like Gage had.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry Gage didn't make it, how terrible. :cry: At least she wasn't alone when she passed. I know she felt loved & it was better than her being in the store, alone.
I am sorry for your loss.
There are a lot of dragons who need good homes.

Tracie

Beardiemom7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your condolences it really means a lot to me. :( The new good news is a rescuers work is never done! Tuesday night I rescued a veiled chameleon with severe MBD. It's only been a few days and I think he is doing a little better. Wish us luck! :) :blob8:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm also very sorry to read about Gage, my condolences to your family. :(

I'd love to see pics of your veiled, have you had them before + know how to feed + hydrate him ? I owned several, the last one was a male that lived for 7 years , a grouchy boy he was but I accepted it + loved him. He was awesome + beautiful. If you can please post a few pics of him ....here are the instructions for posting pics if you aren't familiar with how to do so :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom