Very hyper?

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon is about 2 years old. I take him outside almost everyday because it’s usually sunny. If not, I’ll just let him run around the house. When I’m at school, I’ll come back to a messed up tank. The food will be everywhere and the carpet will be moved etc. When I take him outside, he’ll run around and bask. And then he’ll try to go into places I don’t want him to (rose bush, under shed, etc) so I’ll move him away. He will run somewhere else and then go straight back to the place I don’t want him going. After about an hour or so, I’ll bring him inside and he’ll just keep trying to go outside by banging on the glass door to the backyard. He’ll run away and then go right back to the door. During this time, he won’t eat his dubias or his favorite blueberries until he calms down. How can I make him chill out? Should I just let him blow steam? He can do this for 30 minutes or more.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon is about 2 years old. I take him outside almost everyday because it’s usually sunny. If not, I’ll just let him run around the house. When I’m at school, I’ll come back to a messed up tank. The food will be everywhere and the carpet will be moved etc. When I take him outside, he’ll run around and bask. And then he’ll try to go into places I don’t want him to (rose bush, under shed, etc) so I’ll move him away. He will run somewhere else and then go straight back to the place I don’t want him going. After about an hour or so, I’ll bring him inside and he’ll just keep trying to go outside by banging on the glass door to the backyard. He’ll run away and then go right back to the door. During this time, he won’t eat his dubias or his favorite blueberries until he calms down. How can I make him chill out? Should I just let him blow steam? He can do this for 30 minutes or more.
Let's go over the surface basking temps-- they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb are you using a coil or a long tube fixture? Brand and bulb please- if it's a long tube is it a T 5 or T 8 and how old is the bulb and where in the tank is it?

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Let's go over the surface basking temps-- they should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb are you using a coil or a long tube fixture? Brand and bulb please- if it's a long tube is it a T 5 or T 8 and how old is the bulb and where in the tank is it?
Basking temps are high 90s, I have 2 thermometers lol, uvb is a coil but I’m working on getting a long tube.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps are high 90s, I have 2 thermometers lol, uvb is a coil but I’m working on getting a long tube.
Ok so the probable cause for the behavior is the coil- is it warm there? 65+ degrees? Start taking him out side for 15 min + or longer sitting on the you direct sunlight till you get a 24" zoo med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb for a 40 gallon + tank- I can post links to a website for you- these people are fast and good - please do this as soon as you can your dragon is getting sick under the coil they are no good- inadequate - when you get the uvb please post and I can help you get it placed and distanced depending on the screen on your tank- in the mean time shut the coil off-

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so the probable cause for the behavior is the coil- is it warm there? 65+ degrees? Start taking him out side for 15 min + or longer sitting on the you direct sunlight till you get a 24" zoo med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb for a 40 gallon + tank- I can post links to a website for you- these people are fast and good - please do this as soon as you can your dragon is getting sick under the coil they are no good- inadequate - when you get the uvb please post and I can help you get it placed and distanced depending on the screen on your tank- in the mean time shut the coil off-
Alright thank you. Hopefully I can convince my parents because they think the coil is ”the best for them“ even though they don’t do their research. Normal weather here is anywhere from 75 to 95. He gets direct sunlight everyday (maybe skipping a day every so often.) I could use the links, thanks! Do they come with the hood or is it just the bulb? Also do they go on top or inside the enclosure?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Alright thank you. Hopefully I can convince my parents because they think the coil is ”the best for them“ even though they don’t do their research. Normal weather here is anywhere from 75 to 95. He gets direct sunlight everyday (maybe skipping a day every so often.) I could use the links, thanks! Do they come with the hood or is it just the bulb?
Yes coils are the worst- I will post the links- your dragon will not survive w / the coil- I can post a thread to show your parents what happens to dragons under a coil if you want

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood you need this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or this one 24" Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
Please let me know if you order it the behavior will not get any better till the coil is replaced- pet stores usually do not carry what I have posted most carry the T 8 - you want the T 5
Thank you so much. I just realized your the same person who replied to some of my other posts. Sorry for the trouble, my dad said he’ll take a look since I’m willing to pay for it. I’ll order one right away and won’t stop trying until he says yes :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much. I just realized your the same person who replied to some of my other posts. Sorry for the trouble, my dad said he’ll take a look since I’m willing to pay for it. I’ll order oneto right away and won’t stop trying until he says yes :)
Ok just know he will continue to get sicker I cannot stress this enough

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok just know he will continue to get sicker I cannot stress this enough
For the ReptiSun do I need to get both the hood + bulb and the bulb? The one that comes the hood is 5.0 while the other is 10.0.

For the Arcadia one, it comes with both the bulb and hood right? If so, do they also sell the bulb alone as a replacement for later?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For the ReptiSun do I need to get both the hood + bulb and the bulb? The one that comes the hood is 5.0 while the other is 10.0. Yes you want the 10.0 bulb I posted the link the fixture comes w/ the 5.0 bulb it can be used but you want the 10.0 as well - distance and placement is different from the two

For the Arcadia one, it comes with both the bulb and hood right? If so, do they also sell the bulb alone as a replacement for later? Yes they sell bulbs separate -- fixture does come w/ the 12% bulb

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom