Very Dark Red Coloration In Stool! Is This Blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

Drogon's been doing well. This month, we've had a lot of bad storms so he hasn't wanted to come out alot. This past week, he was eating every day but then went to hide when a storm was coming. Usually he poops every day to every other day, but it's been a week and he finally pooped. I'm really alarmed at the color of this stool!! (See pic) I only feed him 1-2 blueberries maybe 2x a week. His feeders either eat carrots or potato. WHen I got my BSFL a few weeks ago, I fed them a strawberry, but I find it highly unlikely it would cause this shade of red. Any ideas?? Is this a vet emergency??

106408-9610234247.jpg

(poo got a bit smushed when I cleaned it up. Also wanted to check the red part)

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't consider it an emergency, but keep an eye on it. Sometimes if they wait a long time to go, it can look a bit more odd than usual. I notice this especially after brumation. If it doesn't start to look like it normally does after a week or two, I'd probably have it checked out. I'd probably offer plenty of water along with usual meals to help kidney function and digestion.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":3tiglg00 said:
I wouldn't consider it an emergency, but keep an eye on it. Sometimes if they wait a long time to go, it can look a bit more odd than usual. I notice this especially after brumation. If it doesn't start to look like it normally does after a week or two, I'd probably have it checked out. I'd probably offer plenty of water along with usual meals to help kidney function and digestion.

Thanks for replying Cooper dragon! I was getting really worried. He's acting completely normal but I will remove all red pigmented food and see if it changes!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I don't think it is too serious, hopefully it will end up being food related. As Cooper
said, if they have a harder than normal urate or stool that can sometimes cause some blood
too.
Give a little extra oral hydration in case he might be a little dehydrated.

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drache613":26j3xubq said:
Hello,

I agree, I don't think it is too serious, hopefully it will end up being food related. As Cooper
said, if they have a harder than normal urate or stool that can sometimes cause some blood
too.
Give a little extra oral hydration in case he might be a little dehydrated.

Tracie

Hello!

Thanks for replying ? he did a small poop today with very little red coloration and extra fluid so no dehydration. Now he's taking a nap in his cave, which means a storm is coming ? I will keep this post updated in case something changes!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the update on your boy!
I'm glad that his stool was better today. At least it sounds like he is hydrated then. Did he
have a good nap in his cave?

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drache613":32sqcd76 said:
Hello,

Thanks for the update on your boy!
I'm glad that his stool was better today. At least it sounds like he is hydrated then. Did he
have a good nap in his cave?

Tracie

Yes he hung out in his cave all day! Sometimes he has really lazy days where he doesn't want to bask or socialize. Sometimes this means a storm is coming ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did a storm come in?
They can definitely get lazy like that & want to stay in their caves for awhile. I hope he is
still doing well!

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drache613":3stkhuvm said:
Hello,

Did a storm come in?
They can definitely get lazy like that & want to stay in their caves for awhile. I hope he is
still doing well!

Tracie

Hi there!
He just went to the vet on Friday and everything is good! That includes poo sample :D
However, he's a bit chonky lol, 730 G so he's on a strict diet.

When I asked the vet about him slowing down, she thinks it's due to his weight and she is one of those that believes they shouldnt brumate :x :roll: even those it's instinctual. He hasn't had much food interest and is sleeping more in his cave!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great his fecal was all clear at the vets then, good news!
It is a possibility his weight has caused him to slow down to some extent so decreasing
his protein would be a good idea. You can definitely let him brumate or rest more, because
it is instinct & very normal!
I would agree that a reptile who is very ill should not be allowed to fully brumate, but if he is
not ill then I don't see any problem with him being able to brumate or rest more.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom