Very aggressive juvenile

So I've bred about 150 beardies, and late last year I hatched a very problematic individual who's getting progressively worse. Despite zero behavioral problems with any of his brothers or sisters and zero variation in husbandry, this boy who came out has evolved into quite the little monster. At 3 months, I had to separate him from his cage mate and put him in his own enclosure as he was going nuts during all of his waking hours. He was never abused by said cage mate. No nips, no nothing.

I didn't think this was a big deal at the time, but alas, the bad temperament remained. Squirminess evolved into defensiveness which has since evolved into outright aggression. As soon as I reach into his enclosure to remove him, he's literally leaping off his perch to bite my fingers. I have to wear winter gloves when dealing with him these days as I'm tired of putting on band aids after each encounter. I'm handling him daily in an effort to tame him, but he's trying to turn his head and bite fingers the entire time. Speaking of his bites, they're not defensive little nips. These are chomp, hold, and squeeze bites. When I put him back, he flattens out and gapes until I leave the room.

I'm dumbfounded because I've never experienced this and can't pinpoint an impetus for this behavior and why it's getting worse. Zero variation in care from over 100 babies, and all of them have been fine except this guy. Anyone have any thoughts? He's a beautiful hypo citrus, but I clearly can't sell him in this condition.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I've bred about 150 beardies, and late last year I hatched a very problematic individual who's getting progressively worse. Despite zero behavioral problems with any of his brothers or sisters and zero variation in husbandry, this boy who came out has evolved into quite the little monster. At 3 months, I had to separate him from his cage mate and put him in his own enclosure as he was going nuts during all of his waking hours. He was never abused by said cage mate. No nips, no nothing.

I didn't think this was a big deal at the time, but alas, the bad temperament remained. Squirminess evolved into defensiveness which has since evolved into outright aggression. As soon as I reach into his enclosure to remove him, he's literally leaping off his perch to bite my fingers. I have to wear winter gloves when dealing with him these days as I'm tired of putting on band aids after each encounter. I'm handling him daily in an effort to tame him, but he's trying to turn his head and bite fingers the entire time. Speaking of his bites, they're not defensive little nips. These are chomp, hold, and squeeze bites. When I put him back, he flattens out and gapes until I leave the room.

I'm dumbfounded because I've never experienced this and can't pinpoint an impetus for this behavior and why it's getting worse. Zero variation in care from over 100 babies, and all of them have been fine except this guy. Anyone have any thoughts? He's a beautiful hypo citrus, but I clearly can't sell him in this condition.
I agree do not sell him ---- what is the parents like? Any aggression issues there? It took me long time to get Blaze hand tamed - biting and hissing running - he bit my husband many times drawing blood- and we had to use a glove to hold him as well -- he was finally hand tamed tho by the time he was about 5 months old -- I got him at around 2 months of age so a good 3 months it took -- you can PM AHBD and see what she thinks - she has bred dragons so she might have some insight as to what is going on --

winkydinks

Original Poster
I agree do not sell him ---- what is the parents like? Any aggression issues there? It took me long time to get Blaze hand tamed - biting and hissing running - he bit my husband many times drawing blood- and we had to use a glove to hold him as well -- he was finally hand tamed tho by the time he was about 5 months old -- I got him at around 2 months of age so a good 3 months it took -- you can PM AHBD and see what she thinks - she has bred dragons so she might have some insight as to what is going on --
Mom's a total sweetheart. Dad was very dominant. Could be a bit testy, but it was more of him trying to show everyone who's boss than anything. Unfortunately, he passed away before this little guy even hatched (RIP Hugh).

Anyways, Dad was a stunning dragon who I used as my exclusive male breeder, and like I said, every other baby I've had has exhibited relatively normal behavior. Going to keep trying to tame the little monster. On days where I'm not picking him up to service his cage and whatnot, I've been making sure to hold and gently pet him for 5-10 minutes before bed every night. Thanks for the insight.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It happens. Most who have bred for any significant amount of time will run into 1 or 2 spawns of Satan lol. It just ends up being their personality. If you are going to sell it, the only responsible thing to do is not sell to a first time owner and make sure the owner is fully aware that this is not going to make a good pet.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I wish i was in the market for another, i would jump a the chance to work with a beardie like that ..... yes i know I'm crazy but i would. When i got snicker doodle i almost got a really aggressive male but the girlfriend said oh hell no lol.

jabda

Hatchling Member

Hoping someone has the answer to your problem. I have similar problem only not as bad. (3) month female and if you wake her up due to falling asleep in the corner of her tank to reposition, she attempts to bite. You pet her head she calms down. My male (7) months old you can set on fire, no response.

winkydinks

Original Poster
Hoping someone has the answer to your problem. I have similar problem only not as bad. (3) month female and if you wake her up due to falling asleep in the corner of her tank to reposition, she attempts to bite. You pet her head she calms down. My male (7) months old you can set on fire, no response.
The whole phenomenon of bearded dragons becoming very defensive if you suddenly wake them up is quite common (and quite understandable). My first dragon would do this and stay angry for at least an hour if it happened. I'd just put her in the guest room where she could hide under the bed until she calmed down lol.

I wish my guy was just like this. Asleep, awake, whatever, he's horrible. Even if I'm just setting a food or water dish down while he's wide awake, he's literally flying off his basking perch to get a chomp of finger. It's very frustrating.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
One of the perks of beardies is their unique personalities. Every now and then you're bound to find a psychopath. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to tame them down. I had a Savanah monitor just like this. She was a Carolina Reaper in personality. Had to use a make shift divider in her enclosure just to put food or water in her enclosure. 16 years of terror lol. If you entered the room with her enclosure and she could see you you'd know it. She'd puff and hiss and if you got close to the enclosure she'd start whipping, didn't even have to touch the enclosure. I just let her be, did what I had to do to ensure she was healthy.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom