UVB tube placement

GojiBerry

Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
I have a T5 UVB strip light mounted on the inside ceiling of our viv which is 24" high. I have read somewhere tonight that says it should be placed 12"-18" away from the dragon. Does this mean ours is way too high or is it ok because the basking rock sits within those parameters?

I’m concerned because our 8 month old has just been diagnosed with calcium deficiency.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a T5 UVB strip light mounted on the inside ceiling of our viv which is 24" high. I have read somewhere tonight that says it should be placed 12"-18" away from the dragon. Does this mean ours is way too high or is it ok because the basking rock sits within those parameters?

I’m concerned because our 8 month old has just been diagnosed with calcium deficiency.
The UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium he eats -- the perimeters of distance should be w/ in 12-15 inches - are you giving calcium w/ D3 on his insects 5 x per week ONCE per feeding or day?

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
The UVB helps the dragon absorb / synthesize the calcium he eats -- the perimeters of distance should be w/ in 12-15 inches - are you giving calcium w/ D3 on his insects 5 x per week ONCE per feeding or day?

When we initially got him we were told that as the uvb was a d3 bulb that we didn’t need to add the d3 to his food so we had been giving him calcium only on one feeding per day.

He started getting sluggish a few weeks ago. Vet treated him for parasites but he still didn’t improve so we had blood tests done recently which has showed low calcium. I’m now syringing him Zocal D as the vet suggested but his eating hasn’t improved yet although we are only 4 days into treatment so it’s early days. I feel terrible.

I guess I need to work out how to get the uvb lamp lower as it’s clearly way too high.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When we initially got him we were told that as the uvb was a d3 bulb that we didn’t need to add the d3 to his food so we had been giving him calcium only on one feeding per day.

He started getting sluggish a few weeks ago. Vet treated him for parasites but he still didn’t improve so we had blood tests done recently which has showed low calcium. I’m now syringing him Zocal D as the vet suggested but his eating hasn’t improved yet although we are only 4 days into treatment so it’s early days. I feel terrible.

I guess I need to work out how to get the uvb lamp lower as it’s clearly way too high.
Ok so here are some things to lower the UVB / hang w / 3M Velcro fasteners - picture hanging wire- long plastic zip ties - fishing line --- get it w/ in the 12-15 inches from his basking decor piece - meds are going to effect his appetite - is he eating at all ? the Zocal D I have not heard of lets ask Tracie our vet tech mod on here shes on late at night -- flagging your post - do you have the blood work results ? if you do post them so she can read them --- if you dont please call the vets office and have them email them to you
@Drache613

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
Ok so here are some things to lower the UVB / hang w / 3M Velcro fasteners - picture hanging wire- long plastic zip ties - fishing line --- get it w/ in the 12-15 inches from his basking decor piece - meds are going to effect his appetite - is he eating at all ? the Zocal D I have not heard of lets ask Tracie our vet tech mod on here shes on late at night -- flagging your post - do you have the blood work results ? if you do post them so she can read them --- if you dont please call the vets office and have them email them to you
@Drache613
Thank you. So it’s 12-15” height from his basking rock and not from the floor. If that’s the case then we are within those parameters.

His eating is sporadic. Sometimes he will eat a couple of waxworms and sometimes he will eat 20 of them. He’s not interested in dubia, locusts, BSFL or mealworms despite them being offered daily.

I don’t have the results but I’ll email the vet tomorrow and ask for them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. So it’s 12-15” height from his basking rock and not from the floor. If that’s the case then we are within those parameters.

His eating is sporadic. Sometimes he will eat a couple of waxworms and sometimes he will eat 20 of them. He’s not interested in dubia, locusts, BSFL or mealworms despite them being offered daily.

I don’t have the results but I’ll email the vet tomorrow and ask for them.
Please no more wax worms -- they are like feeding candy to him --- and long term feeding can cause liver issues -- he needs to go on salads and dubias or crickets - some dont like the roaches and some dont like the crickets - but he needs a staple insect another good one is silk worms or the BSFL -- yes distance form the basking decor piece not the floor

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
Please no more wax worms -- they are like feeding candy to him --- and long term feeding can cause liver issues -- he needs to go on salads and dubias or crickets - some dont like the roaches and some dont like the crickets - but he needs a staple insect another good one is silk worms or the BSFL -- yes distance form the basking decor piece not the floor
Ok. I’ll stop the wax worms. If he won’t eat anything else do I just let him go hungry in the hope he will eventually eat something else? We can’t get silkworm in the UK. He was eating salads until recently but he won’t touch them now. The vet just said to continue with the waxworms until he gets his appetite back.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok. I’ll stop the wax worms. If he won’t eat anything else do I just let him go hungry in the hope he will eventually eat something else? We can’t get silkworm in the UK. He was eating salads until recently but he won’t touch them now.
Thats because of the wax worms --- feed the BSFL then - drop them on top of his salads in front of him to lure him to the salad bowl - he will eat if hes hungry --- he wont starve himself --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Can you get hornworms? They hydrate them pretty good and are somewhat nutritious. They would be way better than wax worms. Beardies are like cats or predatory fish, they are movement motivated. They are more likely to go after an insect that is moving around. If you can get your bugs moving, your beardie may be more inclined to eat.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have pictures of him, along with your tank setup you could post?
That is pretty surprising your dragon has some calcium issues since you are using the T5 Arcadia
tube. You can safely have it at 10 inches for him.
I am somewhat familiar with Zocal, do you have a label of it I could see? How much is the vet having
you give him? Since it is D3 be very careful with giving too much.
Let us know how he is doing.
I can take a look at the blood tests once you get a copy of them.

Tracie

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
Hello,

Do you have pictures of him, along with your tank setup you could post?
That is pretty surprising your dragon has some calcium issues since you are using the T5 Arcadia
tube. You can safely have it at 10 inches for him.
I am somewhat familiar with Zocal, do you have a label of it I could see? How much is the vet having
you give him? Since it is D3 be very careful with giving too much.
Let us know how he is doing.
I can take a look at the blood tests once you get a copy of them.

Tracie
Hi Tracie. I have attached some photos for you. I hope they are clear enough.

The Zocal D label wraps around the bottle so it’s not easy to photograph so I have taken a screenshot of it. The vet said to use the dosing on the bottle which is 1ml per 200g of dragon and he’s 350g approx so I’ve been giving him 1.5ml by syringe.

I’ll upload the blood test results when I get them. Thank you.

Attachments

• 870A34C3-044E-485D-8821-56748BF781B9.jpeg
    870A34C3-044E-485D-8821-56748BF781B9.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 67BC6F07-A7CA-4616-A487-6E09E8B223C6.jpeg
    67BC6F07-A7CA-4616-A487-6E09E8B223C6.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 49
  • F6B7DA7B-B497-4E7F-A61D-CA97843F8D87.jpeg
    F6B7DA7B-B497-4E7F-A61D-CA97843F8D87.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 3F07EDA6-B9AE-447A-AF58-3D0C7BDC2DE1.jpg
    3F07EDA6-B9AE-447A-AF58-3D0C7BDC2DE1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 50
  • 22454313-2264-489F-91C9-632493C72C78.jpeg
    22454313-2264-489F-91C9-632493C72C78.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3BD8062B-B2CE-423F-A9A0-3505A09E6467.jpeg
    3BD8062B-B2CE-423F-A9A0-3505A09E6467.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 53

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
I also have a calcium without d3 liquid which I could give him on some days.

The top of his basking rock sits 10” lower than his heat lamp and 15” lower than the uvb.

Attachments

• 6CC4967D-51DA-45C3-9AE7-5313E8EC0862.jpeg
    6CC4967D-51DA-45C3-9AE7-5313E8EC0862.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 48
  • C4719FCD-A139-4138-AD0C-981482409480.jpeg
    C4719FCD-A139-4138-AD0C-981482409480.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 32

GojiBerry

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jeffrey
Results are attached.

Attachments

• 88B90C13-D3F5-4BEF-AEF7-3086411DD782.jpg
    88B90C13-D3F5-4BEF-AEF7-3086411DD782.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 37

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the distance from the UVB to the platform hes sitting on? It looks farther than 15" -- if so I would look at getting another piece of decor and place directly under the UVB w/ a distance of 12-15 inches

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom