UVB Recommendation For 16" Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for recommendation/tips for the new year. Beebee is still brumating, so id like to get things ready for her when she wakes.

I have a vivexotic enclosure that is 16" tall. Originally, we had a Reptisun 10 t8 that was 24". I upgraded later last year to a 34" t5.

Here's a comparison of how much light they give off. I'm concerned the 34" is a bit TOO much. https://imgur.com/a/Bhup753

Would you guys recommend sticking with a 10.0 34", or maybe go down to a 5.0 34"?

(we're gonna be putting the shelves back in the tank, so she will be a bit closer to the bulb)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would stay with the 10.0. If she avoids it you can set it to the front or back of the enclosure so there is more of a gradient. At 10-12'' from the main basking zone it should be just about right.

nuclearkielbasa

Original Poster
CooperDragon":nmmh4wnh said:
I would stay with the 10.0. If she avoids it you can set it to the front or back of the enclosure so there is more of a gradient. At 10-12'' from the main basking zone it should be just about right.

The tank has an upper shelf that is just over 5" away from the bulb, if i move it more towards the front, will it be safe? I'm worried it'll be tooo close to her.

Also, what are the recommendations for Repti-glo? Our stores rarely sell reptisun, but lots of Glos. Just wondering if it's acceptable for a short-term use if i cant get a reptisun as fast as i'd like?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as there are plenty of options and it's easy for her to move around, she'll move to get what she wants at a given time. It's more a matter of providing options and setting light and heat in a range that is an educated guess based on collective experience.

ReptiGlo stuff doesn't tend to be as high quality in terms of quality control from what I've seen. I still tend to like Arcadia products best (and have it shipped in). This is what I use http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

nuclearkielbasa

Original Poster
Okay, thank you! When she's up i'll see how she acts with the shelves in. She has a few hides i've gotten her for xmas gifts for when she wakes up, so she'll have options to escape if she wants. (shes too spoiled lol)

Good to know about the Glos! I actually have the same Arcadia bulb currently, i only got to use it for about 2 months before she went to sleep. It's ridiculously expensive to ship them to where I'm at, so i'm hoping the 12 month life is true?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In my experience they last several years without need for replacement. I've gotten 3 years out of each of mine so far. I measure the output with a Solarmeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom