Uvb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvally

Does a reflector increase the optimal range of a uvb light? My basking area is a bit further away from the uvb than recommended, if I need to I'll get something else for the beardie to bask on closer, but just wondering if I can save myself rearranging everything if I don't have to.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yes, a good reflector effectively doubles the output, AKA cuts the distance required in half.

However, when we give distance recommendations, it's usually based off of the bulb in a fixture with a reflector already.

Which bulb do you have? I will tell you the distance you should shoot for with or without a reflector, and whether or not it's ontop of the screen.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For that bulb, without a reflector, you need it to be 5-6 inches from the basking site. If you put on a proper reflector, the basking site needs to be 10-12 inches away.

-Brandon

Silvally

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll try to move the branch a bit closer for now, it'd around 15 inches away from it right now, but I'd probably be able to balance it somehow

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 15 inches away without a reflector, the UV level at the basking surface will be much too low to be providing the benefit you are after. So getting a reflector on it will be a big help.

In large tanks, the t5 versions are usually best as they have a much better effective distance.

In my 4x2x2s I use the 22 inch 14% t5's at about 18-20 inches away.

-Brandon

Silvally

Original Poster
When I have the money, I will probably get a t5 version, thanks for the information. I have a reflector fitted right now, will that be sufficient for some time untill I can get a higher branch (with aims to get a more powerful light in future)?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UV still will be less than you want, but it's definitely much better than without the reflector!

The sooner you can remedy it the better. :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not a problem :)

Let us know if anything comes up and you have more questions :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom