UVB measuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

That is a pretty nice little site. I had not seen that one, no.
Thanks for posting it!

Tracie

Aziara

Very nice repository of information... There's just one problem. I have no idea what the numbers represent.

What do all the numbers mean? How do they relate to direct sunlight, shade, etc etc?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'd be more inclined to refer to the Reptile Lighting group for data - 6.2 readings are nice but as Fran has pointed out before not as useful or relavent as 6.5 readings. The data is probably fine considering the equipment but that group had enough sketchy/misinformation that I couldn't stay a member.

Aziara if your up for a deep read, this paper goes into a lot of detail of the different units and logic for UV lights. http://www.jzar.org/jzar/article/view/150/89

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
If that info could just be put in to easy terms for the average reptile owner it would be more helpful. This is in no way putting a negative comment about those graphics but they are going to be very hard to understand for most people.

There is so much confusion surrounding distance, how much + what type of screen diminishes how much uvb [ people here are lumping all screen in to the flyscreen category, hence the claims that screen will filter out 50% uvb ,which most screens do not, it's more like 20-30% ] and the claim that all t8 bulbs must be hung inside. Then they mount it to the side [ which is not correct because it can irritate the eye, the ridge above a beardie's eye is there to protect it while the sun or artificial light is shining from above ] I believe Dr. Baine wrote about that herself in one of the articles. So the light should ideally be situated by on the top or with holes cut in the screen [ IF the screen is the tiny gauge flyscreen, which many are not ]

It's also noteworthy that even the angle of the solar meter that is measuring the uvb + how it's used produces different results.

And so much more that can be discussed [ how much uvb do they REALLY need ] But there's just a few things about the topic of uvb. I think all of this info is causing confusion in a lot of owners who actually have a good set up already but then they read some of the 6" claims [ you must have the t8 at 6" claim ] and then feel they have to run out + buy a whole other set up when the dragon is healthy in the first place as it is .

But again, that info is of use if people can understand it , so I'm not knocking it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's an.... interesting situation with many reptile owners. I don't mean to be derogatory about it but I see "reptiles aren't easy pets" often in nearly the same breath as overly simplified advice that leads to just the problems you describe. The responsibility to learn and understand is still on keepers. It's not nearly as simple and formulaic as we might want it to be but not all keepers are going to be unable to understand the information and hopefully be able to simplify it for others rather than playing the telephone game.

I also see a fair bit of really deep science info (I'm guilty of this myself a lot) that isn't really relevant, like the 6.2 data that just doesn't contribute much for most keepers.

I've been off and on working on a more laymans guide, but life and other hobbies keep getting in the way. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom