UVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEE11

Original Poster
My bearded dragon is 3 - 4 mos old. If I place a t5 uvb10 ( hood is 14 inches ) on my mesh lid, is it okay if basking spot is only 8 inches from it?

Solution
Yeah that should be OK, especially if there are areas further away from it that will help create a gradient and basking options at different intensities.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that should be OK, especially if there are areas further away from it that will help create a gradient and basking options at different intensities.

Solution

ChrisEE11

Original Poster

So if he basks on the other side from the uvb , will he still get enough uvb? Right now in my 36x18x18, on the hot side- I have the 14 inch hood towards the back (the top Is screened with a thin strip of plastic in middle so it can open either side) on one side, under it I have a basking spot, no heat. The heat is up near front of cage ( on same hot side) over his other basking spot. When he is in that, no uvb. How do I get all to be right ??? I don’t want anything resting in plastic on screen too.

ChrisEE11

Original Poster
So if he basks on the other side from the uvb , will he still get enough uvb? Right now in my 36x18x18, on the hot side- I have the 14 inch hood towards the back (the top Is screened with a thin strip of plastic in middle so it can open either side) on one side, under it I have a basking spot, no heat. The heat is up near front of cage ( on same hot side) over his other basking spot. When he is in that, no uvb. How do I get all to be right ??? I don’t want anything resting in plastic on screen too.
I forgot to mention, I am adjusting all this since he isn’t eating as much lately. He goes to the vet soon. I had a coil uvb to begin with since it fit nicely but the read his awful they are.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please invest in a longer fixture a 24" is recommended for a 40 + gallon tank ---- depending on the screen will depend on where the fixture needs to be placed
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood 24" w/ this bulb 22"
This fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement will be different from the T 5 bulb that you need --
What bulb is in the 14 " fixture

ChrisEE11

Original Poster
Please invest in a longer fixture a 24" is recommended for a 40 + gallon tank ---- depending on the screen will depend on where the fixture needs to be placed
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood 24" w/ this bulb 22"
This fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement will be different from the T 5 bulb that you need --
What bulb is in the 14 " fixture
I did buy a 24 inch hood but it sits on top of the skinny plastic strip that divides the screen on top into two. It opens in two sections. Wouldn’t the plastic burn ?? Right now I bought the Reptisun t5 uvb 10 size 12 inches. The hood is 14 inches. I really do not like my screen but I can’t remove it. I tried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I did buy a 24 inch hood but it sits on top of the skinny plastic strip that divides the screen on top into two. It opens in two sections. Wouldn’t the plastic burn ?? Right now I bought the Reptisun t5 uvb 10 size 12 inches. The hood is 14 inches. I really do not like my screen but I can’t remove it. I tried.
No it wont burn the bulb does not get hot enough --- what I am concerned about is the screen blocking the UVB rays -- it will cut out approx 30% -- so the dragon will not be getting enough UVB--------- what kind of screen is it a wide hole type or a fine mesh screen like a screen door ??? If its a fine screen like a screen door I would cut your screen out where the 24" fixture is going to sit so its open place a piece of decor directly underneath the UVB 12-15 inches ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom