UVB lighting frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasta

After researching and going to so many stores we thought we found the perfect UVB lighting for Bruce. We have the Reptisun 10.0 T5HO 22" bulb and this fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2AY8EW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We mounted it on the top of the back wall of the tank. Unfortunately because of the curve of the reflector I'm worried that most of the light is focused out the front of the tank. Hopefully the pictures help explain this.
The top of our tank is connected by a hinge to the tank. It only has a strip of mesh down the middle third of the top. So UVB must go inside, we could mount it to the inside of top but I'm worried that opening and closing would eventually cause it to fall.
So my question is, is the setup we have now ok? Am I overthinking this? Maybe we can cut the lower part of the reflector off to allow more light to go down into the tank. I'm losing sleep over this :roll:
thank you!
99866-438823170.jpg
99866-3822620227.jpg

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
It is definitely not in the most effective position. It needs to be mounted on the top so it shines straight down into the cage. The clips that come with the fixture are extra secure. If you can drill into the top, they should hold. Barring that you might be able to wire it to the screen.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's sending most of it straight out rather than down over the basking area. Can you change the direction of the reflector? With some of them you can rotate the reflector around the bulb to change it's direction. If not then you'll probably need to screw it into the top of the tank or suspend it using some picture wire or similar sturdy wiring. It should be over the basking area about 12'' up and shining straight down ideally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom