UVB for 20 Gallon Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamataKun

I keep getting conflicting information for this. I have a 20L that I wanna put a baby beardie into until it's bigger. But the UVB part confuses me because I'm reading and hearing different things.

I hear to get a 10.0 as that's what a beardie needs, but I also hear that it's too intense for a 20L and to get the 5.0 instead. If I get a 10.0 T5, can I prop the hood up on some bricks or something on top of the mesh to add more height?

I also read suggestions to get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ75PW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

... But to mount INSIDE of the tank? Won't this fixture make the bulb too low (as the 20L is only 12" high) or am I overestimating the size of this thing? Do I mount it on the side glass vertically, or underneath the metal lid horizontally with like velcro or something? Help is appreciated, as this UVB confusion is the biggest thing holding me back from getting one of my dream reptiles!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do not get the fixture from Amazon it has NO reflector --- please get this so when you upgrade to a bigger tank it will go right in--- future investment and better for your dragon --- this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 which will be perfect for your dragon -- it is more like a T 8 -- when you upgrade to the bigger tank switch the bulb out to the 10.0 -- set the lights up on one end I will show you my 20 gallon tank when I got Blaze -- yours wont be in that 20 gallon tank long maybe 5 months if that -- depends on how fast he grows--
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
Get this bulb when you upgrade
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630 22"
Here is the 20 gallon tank
97951-9562450009.jpg
I had the screen 3/4 on the tank and butted up to the UVB - you can set the basking light on the screen and have the UVB clear to the end --- just make sure you have a piece of decor sitting approx 6-8 inches directly under the UVB
Karrie

KamataKun

Original Poster
Thanking you for the response!
But I don't have a scooting-screentop. Mine is an aquarium that I bought a metal screen cover for. Is the 5.0 powerful enough to penetrate through it, or should I have the basking spot higher to get closer to it and make up for the loss?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 is not strong enough to go thru the screen -- take a pic of the screen please and post
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a 10.0 bulb and place on top of the screen and have the basking decor directly underneath 8-10 inches from the UVB -- watch his behavior like eating and basking etc
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom