beardielady1238

So, i’ve read lots of info on lights, but all the lengths/wattages/types are so confsuing, so I just need some direct answers if possible

tank info-
-currently has heat coil, uvb coil, and basking light
-beleieve it is a 40 gallon, 36x18x18
-has a plastic splitter splitting the top metal mesh part of the tank in half

questions-
t5 or t10
5.0 or 10.0
inside tank or outside tank
what length
what wattage
do i need the basking light and heat light if I have uvb
where to buy? (add links for hood and bulb if possible pls)

i’m afraid he’s not getting the right uvb and i don’t want him to get sick or anything so i’m super worried, fast responses would be great :(

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
T5 12% Arcadia uvb about 12 inches from the bulb to the basking surface. T5 is the diameter of the tube bulb they are smaller than the old t8 tubes. There isn’t a t10 size in any uvb tube that I’m aware of? Check out Reptilebasics.com they have the t5’s and the fixtures. And yes you still need a heat bulb halogen or incandescent to overlap heat with uvb. I’d start with a 75 watt halogen to try out but buy a higher and lower watt as we to try them out until you find one that works. If you can mount it inside that’s what I would do you could get the 36 inch fixture which requires a 34 inch t5 bulb. And set the fixtures on top of the enclosure you have.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
So, i’ve read lots of info on lights, but all the lengths/wattages/types are so confsuing, so I just need some direct answers if possible

tank info-
-currently has heat coil, uvb coil, and basking light
-beleieve it is a 40 gallon, 36x18x18
-has a plastic splitter splitting the top metal mesh part of the tank in half

questions-
t5 or t10
5.0 or 10.0
inside tank or outside tank
what length
what wattage
do i need the basking light and heat light if I have uvb
where to buy? (add links for hood and bulb if possible pls)

i’m afraid he’s not getting the right uvb and i don’t want him to get sick or anything so i’m super worried, fast responses would be great :(
Everything @Rubble1212 said is good, except if you want to mount inside the tank you currently have you would want the 24" fixture. The 36" won't fit inside your tank, but could be mounted on top over the part of the screen without the plastic cover as long as the screen is wide hole type, not fine mesh like a screen door. Either one will be fine if you ever upgrade the tank to a 4x2x2 and can go right inside.

If you wanted to get fancy with the heat, you could look at ceramic heat emitters or deep heat projectors, both of which emit only heat and not light. You do need a place for him to warm up, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a light.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear I just meant you could set it on the tank and just slide the cover forward a bit so it’s not on top of the screen because you have that split screen. That way you don’t have to lift the fixture off the screen every time you want to access the enclosure. If you don’t have any other animals that could get to him you could just leave the screen off and rest the fixture on top length wise or at a diagonal and use an adjustable lamp stand for the dome.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom