Uromastyx (New Lizard Owner!)

Reprobate16

Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
I just got a male Yellow Uro yesterday, so I know about the settle in time taking a bit.
What seems odd to me is that he slept on the floor of his cage in the corner and didn't really hop up on the basking rock at all for the day, I placed him on the rock this morning because I was worried about him getting too cold.
I know for certain it isn't too hot, so I'm just curious as to why he might be trying to freeze himself haha. Also, I heard that most Uromastyx hide a little more when you first get them. He mostly just walked down the length of the tank once and then planted himself in the corner of the warm side, once again.
My main concern is that this behavior might be a little odd. And he might get too cold while he is doing this. Side note: he ate immediately the day I got him so thats pretty good I think.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there! Excited to have a Uro owner here. I used to have one many years ago for quite awhile. I think her thread is still here actually (Calcifer).

Can you post pictures of your Uro and your tank setup? What are your basking surface temps and cool side temps?

Is this a baby or adult? And did you get it from a breeder?

-Brandon

Reprobate16

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
Hi there! Excited to have a Uro owner here. I used to have one many years ago for quite awhile. I think her thread is still here actually (Calcifer).

Can you post pictures of your Uro and your tank setup? What are your basking surface temps and cool side temps?

Is this a baby or adult? And did you get it from a breeder?

-Brandon
I could answer all these, but he actually started behaving much more normally and using his basking space a lot more since I adjusted the proximity of the lamp yesterday. Temps are at 120 on the hot side and 80ish on the cool side. He's 3 years old and I believe he is wild caught but from a breeder who has had him for a while

Reprobate16

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
Here's a picture. I'm at work right now but he's yellow.

Attachments

• 20220710_181633.jpg
    20220710_181633.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 100

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Awesome yellow Saharan. Have a name picked out yet?

Glad he is acting a bit more normal. Uro's can go through relocation stress just like beardies can. Hopefully he settles in just fine for you.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love the uro's tbey look like little dinosaurs lol. and they don't feel anything like they look like they would.
CONGRATZ on your new buddy

Reprobate16

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Arlo the Uromastyx
Awesome yellow Saharan. Have a name picked out yet?

Glad he is acting a bit more normal. Uro's can go through relocation stress just like beardies can. Hopefully he settles in just fine for you.

-Brandon
Yes! He was doing well today. His name is Arlo. A little bit of glass surfing but thats to be expected. He definitely loved his basking spot more today. Thanks for responding to my panic post.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom