URI??? *update*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Dargon hasn't been eating and he is sleeping a lot.

I thought maybe he was going into brumation early.
But today I gave him a bath and he drank some water.

now he is gulping a lot and has thrown up some of the water. it was clear.
he keeps gulping. he's not gaping. there is nothing coming out of his nose, but he does have some goo by the corners of his mouth.
i have Acidophiliz+, but he hasn't eaten and i don't want to harm his stomach. He is now being fed carnivore care.

is it just too much water or can it be an infection? is there a way to test it myself?
will Reptaid help? Is there a special medication I need to give for treatment? all of the herp vets are really far away from me. and if i can treat it myself i would rather spend the money on the medication.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he has improved some. Is he still gulping now or has he thrown up again?
If he had too much water that could cause him to throw some of it back up. He has been sleeping a lot, or brumating?
If you are giving him critical care right now, be sure he is getting some basking time in so he doesn't go back down on an empty tummy.
If he has any mucous in his mouth or nose or is coughing/wheezing, then he could have a respiratory infection. Normally it is treated with Baytril to clear it up.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
he hasn't been throwing up for the past few days.
he is still gulping, but a lot less.
there is a think clear ooze coming out of the corners of his mouth.

i have him on Reptaid, carnivore care and baby food.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear he hasn't thrown up for a few days.
Is he basking normally?
The reptaid, carnivore care & baby food will hopefully help him out!
Are you keeping his tank around 80 overnight also to help with boosting his immune system?
How are his colors looking?

Tracie

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Drache613":100onds2 said:
Hello,

I am glad to hear he hasn't thrown up for a few days.
Is he basking normally?
The reptaid, carnivore care & baby food will hopefully help him out!
Are you keeping his tank around 80 overnight also to help with boosting his immune system?
How are his colors looking?

Tracie

the temps are up, and he is bright orange. but he keeps going under his log.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is his breathing doing any better & is he gulping as much?
It does sound like he would like to brumate but I wouldn't let him until you are sure he doesn't have anymore symptoms of a respiratory issue.

Tracie

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I took Mr Dargon to the vet today. after over 2 weeks of at home care he just didn't look like he was getting any better. so i made the call.

wouldn't you know, about 2 hours before the appointment Dargon threw up. there was a lot and it was all greenish.
and he started to look a whole lot better after that.
we still went.

he was weighed - 808 grams. on the light side, but he also hasn't been eating. Doc said he could gain some weight, but not too much. he should get it back once he starts eating again.

then he pooped. at least the doc got to see a fresh sample. which looked good.

then he was poked. all over. he did not like that. my arm is pretty scratched up from him trying to get away. he especially hated the stethoscope.
i was told he was a pretty well behaved beardie. my bleeding hand says otherwise...

doc said it didn't sound like a URI, his breathing was good. and he was alert. he had a x-ray done to see what was causing everything.

turns out Dargon has a lower respiratory infection. it's not too bad. it may have been worse before he threw up.

he is on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks. if there are no improvements after 2 weeks he will need to be brought in for blood work.

The doctor told me very good things about Dargon. the x-rays show his bone density is really strong. apparently most beardies at the age of 3 have a lower bone density because they don't get enough calcium.
also his weight, even though Dargon is on the leaner side, he is still within the healthy range. too many beardies are overweight and it harms their organs. <-- i was very concerned that Dargon was underweight in comparisons to other beardies i see.

I told him i have my female at home getting ready to lay eggs. 3rd clutch. he said i must being doing something right if Dargon's structure and size are this good, and she is laying eggs on a regular basis.

It's a relief for me.

he looks a little upset. wide eyed and violated. but he looks so much better today than yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom