URGENT VERY ILL DRAGON

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great that he drinks the slurry, flushing his system is really important. I think he had enough charcoal but see what Tracie says later when she's on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'd say 2-3 X a day, making sure there's a good amount of water in it. Of course you don't want to force it if he clamps his mouth shut.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific news he did take some of the greens slurry. How is his beard looking today?
You can continue to give charcoal but just once daily as the greens slurry should help to
detoxify his system naturally.
Give him the greens slurry twice daily. Is he interested in insects right now?
There isn't much else that you can give. You could consider some diluted cranberry juice
a couple of times daily to help the kidneys out.

Keep him a little warmer during the night, as well to help boost his immune system right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Kchacon54

Original Poster
Hi Tracie
Thank you for your reply. Today his beard is less black and more gray but it appears to be more swollen and harder on the left side of his beard. We were able to syringe feed him some Lugarti premium insectivore gel diet. I will make sure to turn on his CHE at night. I will attach a photo of his beard so that you can see it. Does it matter if we give him the charcoal or the green slurry first? Should we give him the charcoal first? Thank you again.

Kchacon54

Original Poster
110995-2397903726.jpg

Here is an updated picture of his beard today 4/23. The left side is larger and harder to palpate on his beard compared to the right side. You can also see the bump on top of his head.

Kchacon54

Original Poster
Hi all this is URGENT the vet says he is bleeding internally. The vet is wanting to inject him with vitamin K. Do you guys think that this would be okay to inject him? Is there any side effects to a vitamin K injection?

Kchacon54

Original Poster
The vet is saying that my beardie has hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) She is saying that he is bleeding internally and what he has in his swollen beard is blood and the bump on his head is most likely blood. She does not want to poke him. She wanted to inject him with vitamin K (fat soluble vitamin) so we said no and she said she can provide us with oral vitamin K. Vet also gave us milk thistle and another med to help him poop. Do you guys know if vitamin K can stop internal bleeding? I am not finding anything about this online. She said that she feels he will be able to survive it will just take time to reverse the fatty liver. She also said to give him the critical care. We are going to continue the green slurry and start the milk thistle and oral vitamin K. Do you guys think the vitamin K is helpful to stop the bleeding? Thank you.

Kchacon54

Original Poster
AHBD":39c00pla said:
I'd say 2-3 X a day, making sure there's a good amount of water in it. Of course you don't want to force it if he clamps his mouth shut.

The vet is saying that my beardie has hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) She is saying that he is bleeding internally and what he has in his swollen beard is blood and the bump on his head is most likely blood. She does not want to poke him. She wanted to inject him with vitamin K (fat soluble vitamin) so we said no and she said she can provide us with oral vitamin K. Vet also gave us milk thistle and another med to help him poop. Do you know if vitamin K can stop internal bleeding? I am not finding anything about this online. She said that she feels he will be able to survive it will just take time to reverse the fatty liver. She also said to give him the critical care. We are going to continue the green slurry and start the milk thistle and oral vitamin K. Do you think the vitamin K is helpful to stop the bleeding? Thank you.

Kchacon54

Original Poster
Drache613":27lv60ky said:
Hello,

That is terrific news he did take some of the greens slurry. How is his beard looking today?
You can continue to give charcoal but just once daily as the greens slurry should help to
detoxify his system naturally.
Give him the greens slurry twice daily. Is he interested in insects right now?
There isn't much else that you can give. You could consider some diluted cranberry juice
a couple of times daily to help the kidneys out.

Keep him a little warmer during the night, as well to help boost his immune system right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Tracie the vet is saying that my beardie has hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) She is saying that he is bleeding internally and what he has in his swollen beard is blood and the bump on his head is most likely blood. She does not want to poke him. She wanted to inject him with vitamin K (fat soluble vitamin) so we said no and she said she can provide us with oral vitamin K. Vet also gave us milk thistle and another med to help him poop. Do you know if vitamin K can stop internal bleeding? I am not finding anything about this online. She said that she feels he will be able to survive it will just take time to reverse the fatty liver. She also said to give him the critical care. We are going to continue the green slurry and start the milk thistle and oral vitamin K. Do you think the vitamin K is helpful to stop the bleeding? Thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is this a new vet ? Sorry if I missed it. I can tell you that even reptile vets that work with zoos misdiagnose bearded dragon problems so I wouldn't put much stock in credentials. I've seen several " highly recommended vets " that could not even sex an adult dragon, both times females, 1 actually laid eggs the day after the vet told the owner the dragon was not gravid [ pregnant ]. Anyway, there have been MANY cases here where beardies were diagnosed with fatty liver, I never remember internal bleeding that caused swollen beard or lump to appear on the head. I'd say no the shot but you'll have to decide for yourself. Has your dragon poo'd lately, if so was there blood in it ?

Kchacon54

Original Poster
This is the vet that gave him the vitamin injections. The vet who diagnosed him with a mass doesn’t know what he’s doing. What you’re saying make sense he pooped Wednesday (2 days ago) there was no blood. It was a large poop and for the first time his urate was bright yellow and hard. We said no to the injection of vitamin K do you think we should give him the oral vitamin K? She said that this vitamin K would stop the bleeding. From these pictures what do you think that we should do? What do you think could be wrong with him? We are at a loss. We’ve been giving him the green slurry he eats it well and he’s a bit more active (Not so limp). His mouth is still white.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think vit. K will do anything but wait to see what Tracie says. Beardies with fatty liver don't usually have any of the symptoms that your dragon has. Just keep up with the slurries that contain a lot of water. It takes time to flush the system out.

Kchacon54

Original Poster
Ok thank you. Should I continue to give him food? I’ve been giving the lugarti insectivore gel diet in a syringe. Thank you I really appreciate all of the advice and help you have given me. Or should I give him critical care omnivore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom