Urgent quesiton about lethargic baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

caro755

Today is the third day I've had my beardie who's a month old. He was fairly energetic and ate a couple crickets each day until yesterday when he became increasingly lethargic and unresponsive (wouldn't open his eyes for anything). He barely moves and has no interest in collard greens, peppers, cucumbers, or yellow squash. He pooped the first two days and didn't yesterday.

At first I thought it could indicate a shed coming on cuz I do see some dull/white ish areas on his back, but he hasn't actually started shedding. I've given him a few mists and have been getting him to drink water. I'm now worried there's a problem with my bulbs that maybe the UV isn't strong enough or is too strong. In his 29 gallon tank there's a T8 10.0 desert zilla bulb mounted on the inside and 6-8 inches from the top of his basking area (but he has a lower spot that's about 9-10 inches away). I have reptisun 10.0 T8 out for delivery on 6/30 since I learned those are the best. His basking bulb is a "90 watt" (actually 72 watt) halogen bulb that's about 9-12 inches away from him depending on where he sits. He also has an extra LED bulb shining down to make his enclosure brighter. I also have phoenix worms in the mail to give him another option. In the meantime I'm scared he won't recover from whatever it is that dramatically changed his behavior and appetite since we brought him home.

He's currently sitting on the floor of his enclosure under his basking bulb area at around 85-90. He has the option to be close to his UV bulb anywhere from 95 degrees-110 degrees but for some reason he isn't...

Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If there is a clear plastic cover over the UVB bulb take it off -- distance is good at 6-8 -- basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- please post a pic of the dragon--- if everything gets set up correctly and he does not recover there is something else going on -- it is common for them to go thru relocation stress but for him to completely stop eating is concerning as well as the lethargic behavior -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Where did you get your dragon from?

caro755

Original Poster
No plastic cover and yeah they're taken with an infrared temp gun. I uploaded a picture of him sitting outside with me. He has already gained energy and has been randomly running on my hands. It's 81 out with a UV of 8. I got him from my local petco. I'm thinking it's probably that he hates his UV bulb. How long should I sit outside with him? I will probably do this until his reptisun comes and keep the zilla switched off?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Make sure you do not lose him -- for safety sake I would put him/ her in a plastic tote NO GLASS-- 15 minutes in direct sunlight /partial shade watch him do not leave him --- you can do this several times per day till the UVB bulb comes --- I am not sure why the Zilla bulb would be causing issues but the Reptisun is most definitely a better bulb ---

caro755

Original Poster
I am adding photos cuz he just pooped this yellow/clear poop shaped stuff into my hand and idk what this means or why it's this color. I guess that's a good sign? It was right after he drank water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Photos didnt post ---- it could be too much calcium but need to see poop first

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Nope click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic --- wait for page to reload and see if they post---- if they come up in the XIMG they are downloaded

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what are you feeding for supplements? And how much? What has she / he eaten that might cause the discoloration?

caro755

Original Poster
I haven't fed him any supplements yet. The couple crickets per day he ate were un-supplemented because i didn't expect him to eat them. Then once I began to supplement them he had no appetite and was lethargic. I have been giving him water though and that's all he's ingested in the last 36+ hours.

When he starts eating I plan to feed him calcium with D3 3x per week and calcium without D3 3x per week and multivitamins 2x per week.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so feed the supplement D3 5 x per week --- and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week - the calcium w/ out D3 NO phosphorus will come later when he is a year old ---- and the UVB being used at the time will determine how much --- those basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST important thing in that tank --- in the mean time watch his poop again and see what it does -- w/ nothing being eaten and only water it should be white --- not the off color but I could be wrong so I am gonna have AHBD take a look at it --

caro755

Original Poster
Okay sounds good thank you. Here is the other more white pic I got of it earlier:
Also, I plan to syringe feed him organic, no sugar added butternut squash baby food mixed with his calcium and vitamins if he doesn't start eating crickets, do you think that's a good idea?

111415-797880441.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that sounds good and you can water that down so hes getting hydration as well -- keep offering the crickets --- you can order some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com -- DO NOT DUST--- and use those as salad toppers -- he needs to start eating salads every morning as well besides the protein --- feed as many as you want of those they are a good staple feeder -- I would look at getting him over onto dubias as a main staple as well they are better nutritional wise easier to keep and just a better insect all together - you would need a dish like this to feed those in along w / the salads / worms
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
www.dubiaroaches.com you can look getting him some small super worms from here as well -- only feed 1-3 on his salads as well too --- these things will lure him to the bowl - add them in front of him and you can hand feed some of the BSFL ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom