Urgent Health concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomlaura

We own a 4 year old male bearded dragon , over the last week he has been off his greens and crickets , his weight over the last week has plummeted and today when I checked the tank his head was very yellow and he seemed very weak and couldn't keep his eyes open , phoned the local pet store and they said it could be stress , somehow I think it's more serious than that , the temp in his tank is fine and uv light is working fine ,his stools are fine too , he has little black spots on his back too , any suggestions ???

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry that your beardie is having trouble....it's def. more than stress. Have you owned him since he was a baby ? Can you post a picture of him, and give a list of exact brand + type of lights ? How does he stay hydrated [ he may be dehydrated, so try a shallow lukewarm bath and dribble water on his snout] Be careful that he doesn't have trouble in the water though. Has he recently been out roaming so that he might have ingested something toxic or a foreign object ?

Tomlaura

Original Poster
I'm not sure how to upload a picture onto this message ?? We've had him since he was newborn and he's never displayed behaviour or symptoms of illness before , I changed his uv and heat bulbs around a month ago so I don't think that's the problem , he is very very lethargic , his greens are always fresh and water is always fresh , he has been out of his tank but only with me and I didn't notice him ingest anything foreign

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hmmm...I don't have any advice except to get him to an experienced reptile vet. Check www.herpvetconnection.com
So do you keep a water bowl in the tank for hydration ? Does he get bathed at all? Many dragons don't drink from standing water...all mine get extra hydration via spray bottle, not a " misting" but a gentle dribbling of water on the snout. I'm just wondering if he is dehydrated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, to post pics go to a site like Photobucket, upload the pics there, then copy/paste the URL image here.

Tomlaura

Original Poster
It is from a water bowl , he hasn't had a problem with his water intake before and always took water from the bowl , I will pop him into a Luke warm bath and see what happens , thank you for the link and the advice

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is going to be ok!
Were you able to find a vet listed for your area?
Which UVB are you using, a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
Did a bath help him out?
Did you look inside of his mouth to see if his gums were yellow or pale?

I don't think it's stress either. It could be kidney or liver related, but a blood test should be done, if possible to rule those things out.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Tomlaura

Original Poster
Hi tracie we have tried a bath but he was pretty limp , it's a tube UVB that we are using , we took him out if the tank earlier and cleaned everything out and disinfected his tank to make sure it is as clean as it possibly can , when I put him back in he just perched himself on his rock under his heat lamp with his mouth open and eyes closed , he's hardly opened his eyes at all , his gums are pretty pale to be honest , I've got him an appointment with a reptile vet tomorrow

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how the vet visit goes for him.
Has he improved any at all today?
If his gums are pale then it could be parasites possibly as they can cause anemia. They can do a fecal on him to test for that, too.
Is his beard black also?
The tube bulb, is it the Reptisun 10 also?
I hope that he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Tomlaura

Original Poster
Hi , thanks for all of your concern and advice over the last few days , jake passed away before we could get him to the vets unfortunately , from what I have read it sounds like he might have had a liver problem, once again thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear about Jake, how devastating. :cry: It is never easy to lose a precious dragon.
He was well loved & was with you so that is all that matters.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom