Upper Respiratory Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen the two “exotic animal” vets near me and I feel I’m not getting the help I need.
My beardie was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection after brumation this past year. We were sent home with injections and an oral antibiotic. This seemed to help for a short time but is now having the exact same symptoms: a little wheezing, the look of difficulty breathing, and even bubbles from his mouth sometimes. Help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having some trouble with a respiratory infection. Which injection
did the vet send you home with, Ceftz/Fortaz or something else?
Have you considered doing some nebulizing treatments? I recommend doing nebulization
for help with a stubborn respiratory infection.
I would also recommend keeping him a little warmer overnight, around 78-80 to help boost
his system. Have you increased his basking temperatures during the day just a degree or
two?
How is his appetite?

Tracie

alyssadurbin

Original Poster
Drache613":3or13m76 said:
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is still having some trouble with a respiratory infection. Which injection
did the vet send you home with, Ceftz/Fortaz or something else?
Have you considered doing some nebulizing treatments? I recommend doing nebulization
for help with a stubborn respiratory infection.
I would also recommend keeping him a little warmer overnight, around 78-80 to help boost
his system. Have you increased his basking temperatures during the day just a degree or
two?
How is his appetite?

Tracie

His appetite has decreased over the past 3-4 days so I’ve ordered some critical care food. I had to feed him that last time this started.
I have ordered colloidal silver to give orally. I would like to start giving nebulizer treatments but I’m not sure how to give them or where to get a nebulizer.
His temperatures are a little over 80 at night and his basking is about 105.
I’ve also ordered a probiotic and reptaid. I haven’t tried these before but I’ve done nothing but research all night on what to do.
I’m going to call the vet when they open and see if they can get him in at least for a breathing treatment. It’s a new vet so I’m not sure what they will be open to. I believe the injection last time was ceftz but I am not 100% positive.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
Nebulizers are a little hard to find, but you might be able to find one on Ebay. Some drug
stores might have them also. I can help with nebulizing treatments if you need, using the
silver.
The Ceftz is a common medication to be given for respiratory infections. Continue to keep
the overnight temperatures around 75-80 right now to help boost his system.
I hope the critical care helps out for him, along with the probiotic too. Let us know how
he is doing.

Tracie

alyssadurbin

Original Poster
Drache613":b4avu34s said:
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
Nebulizers are a little hard to find, but you might be able to find one on Ebay. Some drug
stores might have them also. I can help with nebulizing treatments if you need, using the
silver.
The Ceftz is a common medication to be given for respiratory infections. Continue to keep
the overnight temperatures around 75-80 right now to help boost his system.
I hope the critical care helps out for him, along with the probiotic too. Let us know how
he is doing.

Tracie

My vet prescribed me the same medications as last time but they’re still not ready to be picked up. I called right when they opened and was told they’d call me when they’re ready but that it could take up to 72 hours.
He seems like the URI is affecting him much quicker this time and is doing even worse tonight. Is that normal?
He did good with the critical care food today.
He seems to be a little off balance now and is breathing a lot faster / heavier. I feel so bad for him. I don’t know what to do. He’s 5 years old.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having so much trouble with his breathing so quickly this time!
I hope the meds are ready soon.
If possible, place him on a slight decline when he is sleeping overnight, in case there are
fluids that need to drain out. Keeping him a little warmer overnight will hopefully help him
out.
Try to keep the humidity at 25% or less if possible. You can use a dehumidifier or a ceramic
heat emitter to try & keep humidity levels down right now.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I haven't gone through this personally but I have friends who have. The good news is all of the beardies I know of who got proper vet treatment and antibiotics went on to make a full recovery! Left untreated RI can certainly be fatal, but the prognosis is good for beardies who are being treated!

You can help with the treatment by bumping the cage temps a bit, and see if you can get him elevated to help the mucus drain. It's also important to keep them hydrated so consider offering foods high in water content like hornworms. Make sure he gets the full course of antibiotics, it's important to make sure he continues to receive them even after his symptoms have cleared and he seems better, you don't want to almost kill the infection and have it flare back up again.

alyssadurbin

Original Poster
Drache613":1olu59mu said:
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having so much trouble with his breathing so quickly this time!
I hope the meds are ready soon.
If possible, place him on a slight decline when he is sleeping overnight, in case there are
fluids that need to drain out. Keeping him a little warmer overnight will hopefully help him
out.
Try to keep the humidity at 25% or less if possible. You can use a dehumidifier or a ceramic
heat emitter to try & keep humidity levels down right now.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

A little update:
His breathing appears better even after the first dose of antibiotics from the vet. I will continue through the entire treatment.
His temperature levels are now slightly elevated, too.
However, now he is running in circles and will not straighten himself out. I have taken almost everything out of his tank except his basking area, because he keeps flipping himself over. He seems to have horrible balance. He is also keeping himself on the cooler side of the tank.
Does anyone know what this is? :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that his breathing seems to be improving slowly.
However, the behavior is not normal. Ceftz is relatively harsh, but it can be overdosed.
It sounds like a possibility of severe dehydration or maybe an overdose? Can you get some
extra oral hydration into him?
Is his beard darkened at all?

Tracie

alyssadurbin

Original Poster
Drache613":2wjwy1x0 said:
Hello,

I am glad to hear that his breathing seems to be improving slowly.
However, the behavior is not normal. Ceftz is relatively harsh, but it can be overdosed.
It sounds like a possibility of severe dehydration or maybe an overdose? Can you get some
extra oral hydration into him?
Is his beard darkened at all?

Tracie

His beard is very dark. It has been for a couple days.
He is being hydrated multiple times a day when I give him his critical care food. I also have been giving him electrolyte baths just to make sure that’s not the problem. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, was his beard this dark before you started him on the Ceftz, or did it turn that dark once
you started him on that medication?
Is his beard dark off & on or is it staying dark all day? If it is dark all day, I would take him off
of the medication right now, as that is an indicator it is too hard on him. You may need to call
the vet as well, he might be having a reaction to the medication too. Do you know if his kidneys
are having any trouble?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom