Updated heating question - Lamps not producing enough heat

Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Hi guys!

I’ve been having some trouble generating enough heat for my beardie. Initially, I purchased a Fluker’s Repti-Clamp w/ dimmer fixture and have been using a 100w incandescent Fluker’s heat bulb with it. I checked temps with my temp gun and was only getting temps in the mid 60s with that set up with the dimmer turned to the max.

I ended up purchasing a Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome fixture and started using that in combination with the Fluker’s Repti-Clamp fixture with both having 100w bulbs and turned in max (for the Fluker’s the Zoo Med is just an on/off switch) and am now getting temps in the upper 80s (87.6deg to be exact) however that still seems a bit low especially with both 100w bulbs/lamps going at the same time. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

The basking decor is about 12 inches away from the lamps and the probe for the new digital thermometer I bought is laying on the basking decor about two inches below where my beardie lies. Also I’ve heard you guys on the inaccuracies of the temp gun and I just checked and it looks like I’m getting a reading of 87.9deg via the probe thermometer and a reading in the 70s for the temp gun. Here’s some pix and thanks in advance for looking into it!

Attachments

• 0522BD17-143C-4410-819D-F0E6A3A47C52.jpeg
    0522BD17-143C-4410-819D-F0E6A3A47C52.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 61

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In the picture with the probe, did you measure the spot where your beardie is actually basking at? The slight height difference would make a big difference in temps. And make sure you are leaving your probe in place for about 5-10 minutes to get an accurate reading.

At this point, you might want to try a different basking surface. Maybe a piece of drift wood or a rock that can get a bit closer to the light.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
At 12 inches a 100 watt buld should be more than 100 degrees after a short warm up, maybe try a different type of basking decore. Maybe just the material that one is made of doesn't hold heat well.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks guys! Any recommendations on a good particular basking decor that you guys use that I can pick up from Amazon or a pet store? I’m open to any suggestions. I did just check again and temp has gone slightly higher to 88deg. I believe the material my basking decor is made of is plastic but not 100% certain

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i have one of these. Wholesale Lugarti Premium Grapevine the top end is attached to the side of the enclosure and the bottom rests on the bottom of the enclosure. it is under the uvb so sir henry can choose what level he needs. for heat basking he has a typical hide under the basking bulb which is right behind the uvb. he lays on it even though he's too big to fit inside it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I use sandstone, tile and mopani wood as my basking areas.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look into those. On a good note, I did end up moving the probe to the top level of his basking decor and I got a high-temp of 92.3 a moment ago but that was with both 100w bulbs going. I think I might return the Zoo med mini dome fixture and buy the large one to use with a 150w bulb along with the other 100w bulb in the Fluker’s lamp w dimmer to see if I can reach that optimal temp range of 105deg or so. Still so strange how I need two lamps though with the high wattage since our thermostat here in home is reading ambient temp 64deg.

Attachments

• D996892E-1EEF-4E46-B46C-7D2B68B31830.jpeg
    D996892E-1EEF-4E46-B46C-7D2B68B31830.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 8A3A2AF0-A07F-4483-BA97-6C8BA938FB40.jpeg
    8A3A2AF0-A07F-4483-BA97-6C8BA938FB40.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 61

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
That is strange, that probe reads the actual temp of the light, not the surface of the basking decore. So that is the true basking temp. I've had to raise 100 watt bulbs because they were to hot.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I went back and was looking at a pic you posted earlier, i think i may see whats going on. Your domes are side by side and you have a devider molded into the screen. As a result your domes are not centered over the basking decor. Maybe try moving your basking decor directly under one of the domes and remeasure the temp. The bulbs are the hottest directly under the center.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll look into those. On a good note, I did end up moving the probe to the top level of his basking decor and I got a high-temp of 92.3 a moment ago but that was with both 100w bulbs going. I think I might return the Zoo med mini dome fixture and buy the large one to use with a 150w bulb along with the other 100w bulb in the Fluker’s lamp w dimmer to see if I can reach that optimal temp range of 105deg or so. Still so strange how I need two lamps though with the high wattage since our thermostat here in home is reading ambient temp 64deg.
I would almost consider an MVB all in one.
These get hot. Get maybe 100W-125W... I would
In conjunction with the fluorescent fixture, you're using.

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks again for all of the advice guys they’ve helped alot I think.

I did end up moving the basking decor further to the back so that its more centered under one of the domes and I also raised the decor about an inch higher by placing it on some 1 inch bowls. Using one 100w bulb I was able to get a temp of around 86deg.

I returned the original Zoo Med mini dome and bought the deeper, bigger dome and plan to eventually get a 150w to use together with the 100w to see if I can get to 105deg. The other bulb has a fixture with a dimmer switch so I think I can play around with it until I get the desired temp.

Also, for MVB, I did have one! But it was recommended on this forum to try and avoid if possible due to the light possibly being bad for my beardie’s eyes. It did get really hot though. It was an Exo-Terra solar-glo 160w.

Anyways thanks again and happy holidays! I’ll follow up once I get the 150w bulb!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Happy holidays, good luck 👍

greengardenhose

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Glenn
Thanks! Also just a quick update. I bought the 150w bulbs from Amazon already but might not even need them. I’ve got both lamps going again with the 100w bulbs and I am now reaching temps over 100deg. Here’s the latest reading:

The basking decor is about 10 inches or so away now after raising it a bit. Moving it to the furthest back part of the tank did help too. Anyways just wanted to update this for those that have helped or are following. Raising the decor, proper placement of the basking spot centered under the lamp as much as possible along with placing the probe in the correct spot has pretty much solved the issue!

Attachments

• 84C7135C-1093-4216-82DD-E8E0E17E5E68.jpeg
    84C7135C-1093-4216-82DD-E8E0E17E5E68.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 445A1C80-0404-446D-9FB5-95014F85B8A7.jpeg
    445A1C80-0404-446D-9FB5-95014F85B8A7.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 71
  • B8453357-AA29-49AC-A25C-641DBDEDD9F0.jpeg
    B8453357-AA29-49AC-A25C-641DBDEDD9F0.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 61

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom