update on reggies tail

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
so today when i woke up and looked at him i noticed he was definitely shedding on his tail. i fed him and let him bask for like an hour before giving him a quick soak. when drying him off a good portion of the middle of his tail shed came off. unfortunately he hasnt shed the end yet so im still not sure on what it looks like. there is a portion more towards the end that is slightly brown. its more noticable on the bottom if the tail. its not black like tail rot and it goes all the way around. it also has a pretty solid cutoff so i think its just the portion he hasnt shed. is that normal for the unshedded part of the tail? also ive noticed when i go to put the neosporin on if i like kind of rub it vs just dabbing there is a bit of flakey stuff that comes off. is that just shed or could it mean something bad? I dont have any pictures but if you guys want to look at it i will get some.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It sounds like shed to me, I'm at work right now but if i remember when i get home I'll get a pic of my new male's tail, he is shedding also, his looks like what your describing.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Pics are always helpful, make sure they are clear and against a solid light color background if possible.
First is from the top of his tail and the next one is from the bottom. Those black spots on the side of his neck in the third pic are his shoulder right? The 4th is his shed. The last is another from the top. His tail looks kinda shiny cuz of the neosporin

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_103234.jpg
    IMG_20230127_103234.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230127_103340_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20230127_103340_burst_01.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230127_103411.jpg
    IMG_20230127_103411.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230127_103433.jpg
    IMG_20230127_103433.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230127_103310.jpg
    IMG_20230127_103310.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 56

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Looks O.K there, slight coloration either from the shed or because it has ointment on it. For soaking a 5 -10 minute supervised soak is fine once a week or every 2 weeks.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Looks O.K there, slight coloration either from the shed or because it has ointment on it. For soaking a 5 -10 minute supervised soak is fine once a week or every 2 weeks.
i think its the shed because after his bath it was still that color. ive noticed a little more on the tail is starting to peel up so i'll make sure to get an updated pic of especially the tip whenever its all shedded. ive heard some people say the only soak there dragons every week or 2 but when shedding they do it more often. do you recommend more frequent soaks when shedding or keeping it how you normally do it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, I rarely soaked my babies unless they were dirty. I would spray them in their enclosure every few days for a drink if they wanted and that seemed to help. I raised a lot of babies, not one ever had a problem shedding, ever. The shed should come off on it's own, no rubbing it either because it can hurt the skin underneath.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
update again lol

i was holding him and went to gently grab the tip of his tail to make sure it wasnt hurting him and the black thing just kinda fell off. his tail looks fine now. no pain or blood or anything like that. im gonna keep adding neosporin for a day or 2 to be 100% that theres no infection but i think he will be absolutely fine. I assume the soak plus medicine helped loosen it up or smth. i still dont know exactly what it was but im just glad its gone and he seems to have no further issues. thank you guys with all your help and reassurance this is my first beardie and i just want to make sure hes as healthy as possible

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We would rather answer a million questions than have a single beardie neglected, ask as many as often as you need 🙂 always better to ask than to guess 😉

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
What black thing , can you post more pics ? You mean the very tip ?
in previous threads ive been posting worried about a tiny bit of the very tip of his tail being tail rot. do you want pics of the tail now or the tail before with the black thing? in the pics i have of his tail with it still on its hard to see because of bad camera quality+ how small it was.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Pics of now when ever you have time.
i tried to get some pictures but the closer i move my camera the blurrier it gets but without it being close you cant really see anything. I can attatch them if you want but I dont think u will be able to really tell if it looks good or not from them. his tail looks exactly how it did before except without the black tip. in some of the pics ive already attatched you will notice how it goes in just a slight bit then goes out and that not what he lost. i mean just a tiny little bit off the tip.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom