untreatable parasite

echo214

Original Poster
Hi there, my sweet little one has been sick for sometime now. First, we treated her for the common parasites and that didn't fix her all the way. Took her back and they thought she might of had a tumor due to her glucose level being very high. So we did another treatment to make sure all the parasites were gone and to bring her back in a few weeks. She turns a year today and she only weights 419g, she struggles very hard to poop and even with all that struggle she doesn't poop, she barely eats and is not very active. Today I took her back in for another test of fecal and as this vet is very nice she talks too quickly and rambles a bunch of different stuff at you and they don't send you home with any paperwork or anything. She thinks she has a parasite that is untreatable but can be "managed" I have googled myself into freak out mode and I was hoping someone may know what this parasite might be so I can do some research and see what I can do to try to save my little one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there, my sweet little one has been sick for sometime now. First, we treated her for the common parasites and that didn't fix her all the way. Took her back and they thought she might of had a tumor due to her glucose level being very high. So we did another treatment to make sure all the parasites were gone and to bring her back in a few weeks. She turns a year today and she only weights 419g, she struggles very hard to poop and even with all that struggle she doesn't poop, she barely eats and is not very active. Today I took her back in for another test of fecal and as this vet is very nice she talks too quickly and rambles a bunch of different stuff at you and they don't send you home with any paperwork or anything. She thinks she has a parasite that is untreatable but can be "managed" I have googled myself into freak out mode and I was hoping someone may know what this parasite might be so I can do some research and see what I can do to try to save my little one
I recommend you find another vet- www.arav.org
She is of good weight her not eating could be her lighting - they won't eat if your basking temps are incorrect and her uvb- can you tell me what your using please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon isn't doing well! Do you have a copy of the blood test, by chance? Are you able to mix up a slurry for her, from
blended greens with squash or sweet potato for nutrition? Just use a plastic dropper or syringe dropped on the end of her nose to see
if she will lick the food off that way.
We can review the lighting & temperatures with you also, if you need.

Tracie

echo214

Original Poster
Hi there,

So, I can incredibly rude. I must not have paid attention to the emails saying there were replies. Her test came back okay but what a new vet has told me is that she is experiencing "failure to thrive". In the wild she would of just went somewhere to walk the stairs to beardy heaven but since ours are captive they stay around longer due to us trying to keep them alive. She still hasn't gained her wings and I know I sound insensitive, but I cannot let her go yet either. She hides in her cave all day and sleeps. I try everything to get some excitement but I never win. Thank you for the comments and help and thank you for taking time out of your day to reach out!

Much Love
Ashley

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there,

So, I can incredibly rude. I must not have paid attention to the emails saying there were replies. Her test came back okay but what a new vet has told me is that she is experiencing "failure to thrive". In the wild she would of just went somewhere to walk the stairs to beardy heaven but since ours are captive they stay around longer due to us trying to keep them alive. She still hasn't gained her wings and I know I sound insensitive, but I cannot let her go yet either. She hides in her cave all day and sleeps. I try everything to get some excitement but I never win. Thank you for the comments and help and thank you for taking time out of your day to reach out!

Much Love
Ashley
Please go over your lighting- we need to find the cause here and most likely it's your basking temps and how your taking them- no stick ons please and no coil uvb's

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, any improvements at all? We would be happy to help out for your
tank setup, if you need. Is she eating anything at all?
Do you have pictures of her you could post also?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom