Unsure what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my beard for about a month now and all has been perfect BM’s have been normal she has been eating alot full of energy her tank is gradient 105° to 80° with uva and uvb. She eats about half and half between superworms and crickets with the crickets being calcium and vitamin coated once every other day. There are no issues with activity or behavior that I have noticed and I spend alot of time with her. Today I noticed her BM is a little different then normal. Still white with brown but the brown isn’t in log shape this time it’s a lil more like a pile but not runny. Anyone have any advice or suggestions please or could is this be normal due to a diet deficiency or something like that?

Attachments

• 20211027_184811.jpg
    20211027_184811.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 122

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Hi, couldn't see your video for some reason. It was all black (about 4 seconds). Could you repost it please? Personally, I would probably wait to see if this is a recurring problem. Since you aren't reporting any trouble with your beardie's behavior or activity levels, she may just have been overly hydrated on that particular day. I would probably watch out for other signs like recurring diarrhea, foul smell, blood in the stool or an abnormal amount of mucus, changes in behavior, etc. and then take your beardie to the vet for a fecal test.

Alaskan beardy

Original Poster
Hi, couldn't see your video for some reason. It was all black (about 4 seconds). Could you repost it please? Personally, I would probably wait to see if this is a recurring problem. Since you aren't reporting any trouble with your beardie's behavior or activity levels, she may just have been overly hydrated on that particular day. I would probably watch out for other signs like recurring diarrhea, foul smell, blood in the stool or an abnormal amount of mucus, changes in behavior, etc. and then take your beardie to the vet for a fecal test.
I posted a new video

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
The videos play for me. I think it's something on @Shinryu 's end.

Beardie seems to eat with enthusiasm. My only suggestion (especially with a younger dragon) is to be careful with the particulate substrate... more so with feeding since snatching up an insect off the sand can bring in sand/dirt with it, which increases your risk of impaction.

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Ok, thanks for reposting the video! I think it was my fault that it wouldn't open. I got it to work from a different computer. The main thing I would recommend is replacing the sand in the enclosure with a non particulate substrate such as slate tile, non adhesive shelf liner, or reptile carpet. Some people use excavator clay for a "more natural look/feel" but I think it may require a bit more experience. You also need a lot of excavator clay for an enclosure so it's not the most economical choice but some people love it because it allows the dragon to have a bit of digging. Since from the video it looks like your beardie eats off the sand, she could be swallowing small bits of sand along with her food. Over time, that can cause a very serious condition known as impaction --basically an intestinal blockage.

Alaskan beardy

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for reposting the video! I think it was my fault that it wouldn't open. I got it to work from a different computer. The main thing I would recommend is replacing the sand in the enclosure with a non particulate substrate such as slate tile, non adhesive shelf liner, or reptile carpet. Some people use excavator clay for a "more natural look/feel" but I think it may require a bit more experience. You also need a lot of excavator clay for an enclosure so it's not the most economical choice but some people love it because it allows the dragon to have a bit of digging. Since from the video it looks like your beardie eats off the sand, she could be swallowing small bits of sand along with her food. Over time, that can cause a very serious condition known as impaction --basically an intestinal blockage.
It's not actual sand is a sand mat. And I check it every day to make sure there isn't any loose sand that has come off of it. So that's not a huge concern cuz im taking precautions to avoid that altogether.

Alaskan beardy

Original Poster
It's not actual sand is a sand mat. And I check it every day to make sure there isn't any loose sand that has come off of it. So that's not a huge concern cuz im taking precautions to avoid that altogether.
The sand is glued to the mat for a realistic but safe appearance. Forgot to mention that.

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
The sand is glued to the mat for a realistic but safe appearance. Forgot to mention that.
Is it the Exo Terra sand mat? I was planning on writing an article soon for the Resources section of the website regarding various substrate choices for bearded dragons so I would love to read up more about this substrate choice. Thanks! I hope your beardie's poop is back to looking normal today.

Alaskan beardy

Original Poster
Is it the Exo Terra sand mat? I was planning on writing an article soon for the Resources section of the website regarding various substrate choices for bearded dragons so I would love to read up more about this substrate choice. Thanks! I hope your beardie's poop is back to looking normal today.
Yes it is the exo Terra sand mat. And in my opinion it's the bast of both worlds. Let me tell you how that is. First it's sand so it feel natural to them, second is the sand is glued to the mat and any loose sand fell off when I pulled it out of the box. I have 2 of them so I can change them out and its so easy I can rinse it off and every thing come right off except the sand. So and it's not a porous material so it dries fast. Don't have to worry about feeding her with it, she still gets to naturally and per instincts "hunt" for her food. I don't even have to stand there or any thing. Don't get me wrong I hand feed her the veggies but the live food I let her do that on her own. So in my opinion it is the bast substrate for babies. She rubs her belly on it and uses it to scratch her face not

Alaskan beardy

Original Poster
Yes it is the exo Terra sand mat. And in my opinion it's the bast of both worlds. Let me tell you how that is. First it's sand so it feel natural to them, second is the sand is glued to the mat and any loose sand fell off when I pulled it out of the box. I have 2 of them so I can change them out and its so easy I can rinse it off and every thing come right off except the sand. So and it's not a porous material so it dries fast. Don't have to worry about feeding her with it, she still gets to naturally and per instincts "hunt" for her food. I don't even have to stand there or any thing. Don't get me wrong I hand feed her the veggies but the live food I let her do that on her own. So in my opinion it is the bast substrate for babies. She rubs her belly on it and uses it to scratch her face not in the bad context of scratch. Like an itch or something. It's great. I would recommend it for new owners of baby bearded. I.M.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom