Unsocialized beardie to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jupiter3

Hello,
I'm now caring for a bearded dragon that has not been socialized and has an eye issue. I'm wondering how realistic it is to take her to the vet. She didn't like being touched even before this eye issue. Does anyone have advice on what the best way to transport her would be, or if the stress wouldn't be worth it? I know some nervous/aggressive pets have to be anesthetized for vet visits - is that even possible for beardies? (She closes her eyes and jerks away from touch; in researching the eye issue, I can't find any possible explanations/courses of treatment) Would pet insurance make it more affordable? :(
Thanks <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the UVB? What are you using? Please NO COILS-- No colored bulbs no sand -- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them ? No stick ons - please post a pic of the eye - we need to rule lighting out as cause for eye issue

jupiter3

Original Poster
Along with the beardie herself I only really kept the bulbs so I'm not positive re: the voltage:
- The UVB *is* a coil, in a 250V/660W fixture. Should I get a different UVB source lamp?
- The two heat bulbs are ceramic (no light emitted), I believe both are 150W/110V, in fixtures that also say 250V/660W.
- Temp is 100 on the warm side, where she spends most of her time (taken via a gauge placed on the floor)

Her eye issue is only one eye, and was ongoing for apparently over a year before I got her into this new tank (so I don't think she's getting too much UVB), though that said the bulbs are one of the few things I kept. I will set up another post about her eye issue -- in this thread I'm hoping to figure out if or how to help her via a vet visit. I'm just worried about the stress it might cause her to transport her *to* the vet - meaning I'm worried she may thrash around and hit her eye :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your lighting is incorrect and this is probably the culprit for the eye issue and her behavior is well - please get a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer ---- stick ons are inaccurate - everything I am posting here needs to be done ASAP-- like yesterday-- here are some links to what you need for a 40 + gallon tank get this
24' fixture https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-digital-thermometer.html
start w / a 100 watt https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-basking-spot-bulbs.html
Petco and Petsmart sell these and Exo Terra Intense basking bulbs --- you can try your local pet stores for the UVB fixture I posted most do not carry what I have recommended ------ please do this NOW - your dragon has had all incorrect lighting and these things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon I am surprised the dragon is even eating if she is ---- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it placed - they have certain placement and distance requirement --- in the meantime please get her outside for at least 15 minutes in direct sunlight / partial shade either on your on in a plastic tote NO Glass --- the sun will provide good UVB rays do this every day or every other

jupiter3

Original Poster
@KarrieRee - The new tank I have her in is 4'x2'x2' (120 gal). Until rehoming she was kept in a 40-gal. You linked a 22" T5 bulb, but before I order I wanted to confirm, will that be enough UVB (since her new tank is 2' high)?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I have two tanks and both my tanks have 24" fixture w/ the 22" bulb -- you want a Zoo Med or Sunblaster or Arcadia Pro T 5 fixture --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom