Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

You can add pictures by going to photobucket.com & sign up for a free account & upload your pictures there. Then, it is basically a copy & paste URL to post them here.
Well, chances are the Albon was causing the most harm, it usually does. It most likely is the culprit of the yellow fungus as well. Albon is a very good drug & is very beneficial, but there are side effects.
Ok, great, if you are using the glubionate from beautiful dragons, it should be strong enough. You are dosing according to her chart, right?
How often are you using it?
Do not give them nectarines though, as citrus usually doesn't sit well with their GI tracts. Are you giving any vitamins with beta carotene in it? That may help. How long have their eyes been puffy for now? It is most likely a nutritional deficiency. Butternut squash & pumpkin are good sources of vitamin A.
Are you giving probiotics right now?

Tracie

nmedragon

This morning my young female woke up sharply and very early this morning. Her beard was pitch black and so was half her tail. She wont stand, she just weirdly hugs the ground. She has never done this ever and I am very concerned.
Also My 8yr old female just shed and has many more dots and now a patch of black on her back. All the reptile vets in my area are all on vacation, I called around this morning!

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/nmedragon/REPTILE%20SICKNESS/

I am using the glubionate every other day to make sure they are digesting it. I tried every day but it would just go right through them and out.
(and yes I do use her chart :)
May I ask what vitamins have beta carotene?
Visit this page... http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Meds.html
and the products I have are:
Critical Care (2nd product listed on page)
Calcium glubionate
Liquid Vit B complex
Multivitamin with acidophilus
Mazuri Insectivore Diet pellets

I also bought Grapefruit seed extract (its an anti-fungal)
I have Nolvisan

The puffy eyes less than a month. Its puffy for 2 days then okay for a day, usually. I do feed them butternut squash, its their favorite.
I will try pumpkin and see what they think!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Ok, thanks for all of that information. :D
I know you are doing everything that you can.
How often are you giving all of the different vitamins? It is possible that she is getting overloaded with vitamins & minerals. The Critical care is loaded with vitamins & minerals, so if you are giving all of the other vitamins along with the Critical care, it could be overload on her system. Puffy eyes can be an indicator of hypervitaminosis.
Have you had a blood test done on her lately? Since she is having trouble with her muscular control, & her beard was pitch black, I think she needs to go back to the vet for a blood test.
I am pretty sure that her vitamins don't have synthetic vitamin A. Herptivite vitamins have beta carotene in them, so a lot of people use them.

Tracie

rowena

Ok, I just read this. I was trusting my girl at Petsmart who has a few beardies herself. Meh! So this is the blub I have. Well Monkey is my sensative girl and she hasn't shed in a bit (only about 6 months), not saying this is the cause. But I have had the 125w since July and it's been 4 months. I was using the Zilla Desert Series 50 Combo Dome and still have it. Thus until I get some money I will be using crap with crap. I was trying to review this forum for the best light, but the posting has been going on since May and I see some off topic. So if someone could message me or post here the best light please. I will be trying to take my babies outside for at least 30 mins a day.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Let me know how things go with your lighting. Are you planning on getting the Reptisun 10 tube or are you going to try the Megaray now that they are beginning their shipments again?

Tracie

rowena

Drache613":3lr1p9k6 said:
Hello,

Let me know how things go with your lighting. Are you planning on getting the Reptisun 10 tube or are you going to try the Megaray now that they are beginning their shipments again?

Tracie

Will do! We had an adventure with the neighbors today. Fatbutt and Monkey haven't really been outside except for more than a minute or two here and there. Today we sat outside for over 30mins soaking in the UVB, and got stalked by some random neighbors. It's funny seeing peoples reactions when they are not beardie inclined. :twisted:

Most likely go with the Reptisun 10 for now, and see how that goes!

Thank you so much for everything you do!

~Row

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

That sounds like a plan, a safe plan, for now. :D
So your neighbors were stalking you & your babies outside!
That must have been very entertaining for YOU. :D

Tracie

rowena

Drache613":1puvs47z said:
Hello,

That sounds like a plan, a safe plan, for now. :D
So your neighbors were stalking you & your babies outside!
That must have been very entertaining for YOU. :D

Tracie

Very entertaining, I get yelled at from across the way, "What's that on your shoulder?" LOL

Well I am not able to buy the bulb this week, money went to Monkey's vet (she's there now). I will continue to take them out into the sun for at least 30 mins a day, along with their 20 min bath. I give them Cal powered the one with D3 (pink lable) Mon-Fri and their Vitamins Sat/Sun. I will just have to wait till next Tuesday to buy it.

The 30 min sun a day seems to be helping. I think Fatbutt is preparing for another shed. He keeps stretchering out his beard and eyes. :) I can't wait to get the light though. With knowing that the Solar Glo only last for 150 hours of UVB and I've had it since July and it's now Oct is kind of scary. It would be a bit different if they were adult and not growing babies. They didn't even get 13 days of UVB light so they've gone about 3 1/2 months with out UVB. Makes me want to punch someone in the face.

I just told the Doctor to see if that could be what's wrong with Monkey as well.

Do you all think 30 mins a day will be OK until I get the proper bulb. 7 days before I can order it, and probably 7 days before I get it...

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
fresnowitte":2z1pp3uj said:
Ashley I recently asked Frances about that bulb this is the conversation that we had....

fresnowitte":2z1pp3uj said:
Hello Frances,

I hope all is going well with you and yours.

I have a bulb question for you...
I had this bulb brought to my attention I'd never seen it before. :?
Have you heard anything about this one? http://www.flukerfarms.com/sunspotmercuryvaporbulb.aspx

lilacdragon":2z1pp3uj said:
Hi, Barbara.

No, it's a new one on me...

It looks identical to both the new T-Rex UV Heat Economy 160W and the Big Apple Sunforce. But that doesn't mean anything.... these are standard Chinese bulbs and I think there are several companies making them.

The output varies a lot.

Take care

Frances

I look forward in reading what results you get Ashley. Though I won't be going back to MVB's anytime soon.

Good luck!

Hi,
Sorry I haven't updated you guys sooner on the status of my Fluker's MVB. It seems to be working out well. It's been a few months so far and it's still putting out UVB. At 12 inches it is putting out 40 uw/cm2 which is essentially the same as my 4 month old Reptisun 10.0 tube light. Interesting.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
So I didn't want to read through 30 pages of posts.

But are the Solar Glo's still considered dangerous, or was that just a batch of them? I never heard personally about Solar Glo's causing issues. The only thing bad I heard about them was that their UVB output was very low (hence the low price).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Well, that is interesting the Flukers MVB is still putting out 40uW/cm2, not too bad I guess. At least it still puts something out. How long has that been now?

No, the Solar Glos have not had any reported eye issues. They are only guilty of having very low to none UVB output, unfortunately. I do think that right now, there have been some decent batches put out, that actually had 100 or so uW/cm2 for the 125 watts.

Tracie

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
thank you for posting this, we were looking at one of these because the heat on Charizard's basking side is not hot enough and i know he needs 100-114 or so for basking and the basic lights we have don't get hot enough. His cool side is fine though. I'm going to get a better bulb and light today, I'll look and see what brands seem to work best as well. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Well, the normal recommended basking temperatures are 95-110 most of the time. It is usually best not to exceed 110 especially in smaller glass tanks.
So are you going to go ahead & get the Solar Glo then?

Tracie

LaPrice

Hatchling Member
no we went out and got an exoterra bulb i think (pretty sure, charizard lives with my boyfriend so i cant check as i'm typing) and its a 100 watt i think? or a 150? but it's keeping it between 100-110, it got really hot so we left the lightless-heat lamp off during the day and turn that one on during the night so it stays above 70. he's in a 10 gal for the time being, soon as we get enough spare cash he'll be put in a 20 gal. he has a separate 10.0 UVB light now as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom