Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

I regret to have to tell everyone that the Exo terra Hagen Solar Glo 125watt & 160watt MVB's are not as good as previously thought. In the year of 2009, they tested very well with UVB meter testing, through Frances & a few other independent testers. However, after reading on the UVB discussion board this evening, Frances had made a post regarding some preliminary testings of both the 125watt & the 160watt MVB's. Apparently, a colleague or staff member confirmed that the president of the Exo terra UK parent company, Rolph C Hagen admitted that they had changed the specs of their bulbs.
In the past, the bulbs had been "hand blown" bulbs but now, they are apparently being made through an automatic machine process or something similar which has greatly decreased the UVB. He admitted that they had been changed from last year, more specifically, in November of 2009.
Her preliminary results are upon initial burn in the bulbs were emitting 48uW/cm2 after 30 minutes, & only a mere 29uW/cm2 after 105 hours of burn in. That is hideous for a MVB.
So, I have to say that I do not recommend this bulb for anything other than a basking light. They are changing their specs on their tube bulbs every time they manufacture new batches as well, which makes it increasingly difficult for Frances or anyone else doing testing on Exo terra bulbs to get any type of standard on their products.
If anyone would like for me to request a report from Frances to post on this board, just let me know & I will twist her arm! :D

So, you are probably asking, where does that leave us now if you do have the Solar Glo MVB currently? One positive is that at least they are not emitting any "harmful" UVB's. However, you are basically just paying money for virtually a basking light with just slight UVB emissions that will not last long.
Hopefully everything will be ironed out soon with the T-rex, & the Powersun. I believe that the Megarays are on the track to having it all fixed now, so, you are not without options.

Edit: I have spoken with Frances this morning regarding the readings & efficiency of the Solar Glo 125 watt & the 160 watt MVB's. While it is frustrating that her testing on the bulbs proves that they do not have the output as they previously did, unfortunately, there is no proof that every light will test the same. So, until further testing is done, her words are "we just don't know" is all that I can give right now as to how much UVB they are putting out. While you would think that the company would test their lights before sending them out, they obviously have not been or have been haphazardly doing so. She did say that the older lights were quite good, but cannot comment much further on the newer models other than the initial tests that have been done. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know & I will try to find the answers for you. The best would be to if you have any doubts as to what your light is putting out, you will need to get it tested with a UVB meter.

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I knew it! I knew I wasn't crazy!

I'd noticed a change in the bulbs as for the quality of how they are being made now...dimples in bulbs...threads not sodered(BF~sp?) on well....bulbs even lop sided....and in the amount of heat they emit now in comparison to the heat they use to put out in the past years.

I'm so glad I made the change to Reptisuns it's so nice not to have to worry about the MVB's anymore.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Yeah I know Barbara, it is disgusting. This company is unbelieveable. I guess they don't have a conscience I suppose I don't know. All I can say is at least it is not emitting low wavelength, it is basically just a dud practically.
This is all so aggravating to me. I just prefer the MVB's so it will just be a slight wait. I guess it is no big deal, just a bit of an inconvenience. Our dragons go outside so that helps a lot.
Hopefully, Zoomed will stay true on their Reptisun 10 tube bulbs. Perhaps they will upgrade soon, but to a safe upgrade, that is.

Tracie

Vinnie223

I have a 160 Watts Solar Glo and it is barely putting out above 90 F and I was curious as to why my Iggy wont bask under the light. :cry: I am worried about him and from reading this I now know it has to be that bulb, I will switch ASAP but what bulbs do i need though? :study: I am kinda new to having a BD. Like specific details would be great, send me a PM or on here is fine. Please and thank you,
sincerly, Vinnie V.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I guess the only mvb you can really trust is the mega ray. I didn't want to try the solar glo even tho they were said to be good. The first mvb we used was the T-rex and noticed an improvement between the reptisun 10 and that one. A couple of months ago we got the 60 wat eb mega ray setup for our two girls and have noticed an improvement between the t-rex and this one. I do like the way the company fixed the mega ray problems when they cropped up.

Lori

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Vinnie,

I am sorry being a new keeper you are already running into problems. It is so frustrating I realize! We all, at one time or another have gone through this.
At the moment, I can recommend the Reptisun 10 tube bulb which you can get here:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

I can recommend the Megaray & the T-rex, as they have both fixed the problems with their lights recently. There were problems from the manufacturing company that produced the lights which caused some wavelength problems with the UVB emissions. You can get the T-rex from here:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-mercury-vapor/503619/t-rex-active-uv-heat-flood-spot-lamps.html

The Megaray you can get here:
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-products.php

On both of the MVB lights we ask that you mount them 14 or so inches away right now, since we are all making sure that the new bulbs will not be causing any problems. So far, there has been good feedback.
Don't hesitate to ask us any questions that you need to.

Tracie

geo7809

Hi everyone. not to get off topic, but i have been using the solar glo 125w for the last 5 months. its about 16in from my beardies basking spot. For the last 2 weeks or so she really doesnt bask under it at all (unless i put her under it), she spends most of her time on the cool side and she is barely eating and seems to be less active. Could this bulb that is probably putting out next to no UVB be the culprit? Thanks for any info, i want to make sure my lil lady is happy and healthy!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Could this bulb that is probably putting out next to no UVB be the culprit?
Most definately!

Even without the issues being mentioned the Solar Glo's did start stating in the brochure in their boxes last fall that they now need to be changed every 6 months. So with that being said even in normal circumstances it would be putting out less UVB as it's reaching the change out time.

Vinnie I sent you a PM. On my opinion and experience with some of the different lights.

geo7809

Thanks for the info. If any one wants to test my 5month old solar glo they can have it after i get a mega ray. i still have the receipt for it too.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for this info Tracie. It is so VERY frustrating to everyone. Can you or Frances give us a timeframe of when these bulbs were changed or a batch # to look for? Although I've never used a Solar Glo, I thought it might help others to narrow it down.

Vinnie223

Hello everyone, and i am curious that you say 14 in away from his basking spot or 14 in away from the bottom of the viv? :oops:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Thanks Tracie for that very unfortunate update. I am at a loss for words at the moment because I am just so genuinely frustrated.It seems these days we just keep throwing money right out the window on all this.I am totally at my wits end. I think it is time that I just start looking for some good fixtures and slowly transition over to the reptiSUN because as much as I adore MVB bulbs it just doesn;t seem worth it anymore :(

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Vinnie223":3lw415wl said:
Hello everyone, and i am curious that you say 14 in away from his basking spot or 14 in away from the bottom of the viv? :oops:
Vinnie the MVB's need to be a distance of 14" from the basking spot. :wink:

Vicky I purchased my fixtures for the Reptisuns at Home Depot and Lowe's. I know how you feel ...been there done that...you know I've always recommended MVB's but it's just not worth it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom