Unformed poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFTWx

My beardie for about 2 weeks now has had badly formed very squishly logs. I am curious as what to do. He is 4 months now

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has his diet changed at all recently? What does he mainly eat? This can be due to just an upset stomach from a dietary issue, it could be caused by stress, or it could be parasites. If his diet has been consistent and the issue continues for another week or two it's probably worth taking a sample to a vet to have it tested for parasites but I'd let him continue to settle in as the stress of a move can affect them quite a bit and after some time their systems settle down.

BlueFTWx

Original Poster
Well actually just yesterday he had a normal poop. I feed him medium crickets dusted one eating per day (he eats twice). And also a salad of kale. I am taking him for ex/parasite check this weekend (it's his first time).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Just having "unformed" bowel movements is not really an indication of anything in particular, that can happen due to a dozen different reasons, as Cooper listed, in addition it could be simply due to him being well-hydrated. And if the poop has now normalized then it's most likely nothing at all...The question you have to ask yourself whenever something little like this occurs is "Is his appetite normal, is he at all lethargic or sleeping more than usual, or is he avoiding his lights and hiding?" If you see any of these signs/symptoms of illness along with a loose bowel movement and/or any dark colored blood in his bowel movement, then it's an indication that something might be going on...

Be sure to ask the Vet what the counts/loads of each parasite were in the fecal tests BEFORE you medicate him with anything, and be sure to make sure that if any of the parasite counts/loads are in the high range and do require medication that the Vet prescribes the most effective AND least harsh medication available for each parasite that is found in high counts/loads. Totally avoid Ivermectin as a treatment for anything (usually this is given for pinworms if it's given at all), it's poisonous to most all reptiles and will no doubt kill your Dragon, just a head's up. Most Vets know this, but still some don't, a Dragon on the forum died last month due to Ivermectin poisoning given by a Vet who didn't know any better...Panacur is best for pinworms...And also avoid Albon and all other Sulfa Drugs, which are usually given for a high count/load of Coccidia...Albon/Sulfa Drugs are old drugs that are not only very ineffective and usually take more than one round to be effective, but they are extremely harsh and very, very hard on the kidneys of a Dragon. Toltrazuril is the most efficient, effective and least harsh drug for a high count/load of Coccidia in a Dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom