Unexpected surprise......

So I got home yesterday after work and as I do, said hi to the kids and dogs and went to up to my daughters room to check on Rascal. She's a little over a year old. She was in her hide on the cool side, which is strange, as she doesn't spend a lot of time there. She was squirming a bit so I lifted the hide off of her, and to my surprise, she had laid about 20 eggs. I felt horrible as I had not yet put a lay-box together for her, and it was too late to go gather the materials. She had shown no signs of being gravid. No digging, some glass surfing (no more than usual) and her belly felt normal. She laid maybe 5 more in the next hour or so. How often do they do this? Will there be more coming soon? I bought this stuff today just in case. Is this the correct sand/topsoil?

IMG_4047.jpg

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Big surprise alright ! It's good to have a lay box but you were fortunate to have a dragon that is nonchalant about laying. They can lay up to 7-8 clutches in a season, about 3 weeks apart but that's the high end. Usually in the first year there will only be 2-3 but it might be just this one or maybe 1-2 more. The playsand is good but the topsoil should be plain, nothing at all added.

Bruce Wayne

Original Poster
Big surprise alright ! It's good to have a lay box but you were fortunate to have a dragon that is nonchalant about laying. They can lay up to 7-8 clutches in a season, about 3 weeks apart but that's the high end. Usually in the first year there will only be 2-3 but it might be just this one or maybe 1-2 more. The playsand is good but the topsoil should be plain, nothing at all added.
Having a hard time finding the proper topsoil. Thought this one was okay as it said "organic and natural" Is the topsoil necessary? Can I just use the playsand? Is this one okay?

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes you can use plain sand but it can be hard to get the right consistency to hold the shape of a cave that doesn't collapse. Still, it can be done. And even then she might just lay them in her hide since she chose it as an acceptable laying site.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, at least she didn't seem to have any trouble laying them! Let us know how things turn out.
Be sure to give some extra calcium for a few weeks or so just to help replenish her stores.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom