UNEXPECTED EGGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venidara

I just got a female from my friend about 2 and a half months ago. She was the ONLY beardie my friend had. I have a younger male, but they've never been out without two people holding them separately and watching closely, and have never had the chance to mate. BUT, she was scuffling as usual, and when I went to turn off her lights for bed, she had laid eggs!! What should I do?

Venidara

Original Poster
I'm not sure how to tell. I've been looking it up, but every source gives a different answer. They look fertile from what I can tell, but I don't see how they could be. :/

Venidara

Original Poster
I couldn't see any veins.
We decided that with the extreme lack of chance for her to be pregnant and lay fertile eggs, and our lack of incubator or money for an incubator, plus the fact that she has poor health (which I've been working to improve, it's the reason I took her in.), mainly focused on poor calcium, that it was best to just get rid of the eggs, as they'd most likely either be infertile, unhealthy, or dead/unhealthy because of the lack of incubator.

Thank you, though. This will help if she lays infertile again, or if I choose to have them mate when she is healthy. I learned a lot about what I should do.

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Hi,

You can google home-made reptile incubators. I found 1 a few yrs back that included a styrofoam cooler. It did not work for me, but it might for you.

Take a flashlight and withOUT turning the eggs, pick 1 up and shine the light thru it. You will be able to see a baby if its there. You can PM me with any pix you can take, and I will try to help you determine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7600150_cheap-homemade-incubator.html

http://www.ehow.com/way_5904131_homemade-incubator-reptiles.html

Emerald

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
ok, just to let u know it is suggested to freeze the eggs if u decide not to incubate them, and be aware that females will lay eggs often (all beardies are different)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actually you cannot see babies at all in the egg , the first thing that shows up is a slight pinkish ring. After about a week there will be veins branching out from the tiny circle, but there is no baby to be seen at all until much later in the development. And even round eggs can be infertile, but if they are squishy, like a half filled water balloon, then they are definitely duds. If she was never with a male, they are infertile. And like was mentioned, she may lay more clutches within 2-4 weeks. Keep her very well fed, plenty of calcium and hydrate her well.

Venidara

Original Poster
Sorry for the wrong placement. I wanted a quick response and felt this was the best place.

Anyway, they were definitely infertile. She had more after I went to bed, and they were lumpy, not round, when I got up. And yes, they were like partially filled water balloons.

Thanks to everyone for the help! :)

Rhino8085

With reading all this i have a 1 yr old fm bd whois in brumation she has never been around a male but do i need to worry about laying though

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
Hello Everybeardie,

I have a 4 yo female Beardie who is a frequent egg layer. Her eggs are always infertile. They are white, and round. They are a bit squishy, as well.

She just finished her 6th clutch. This time, it was only 26 eggs. She always takes a week and a half to lay them all. sighhhhhhh

Take care.

Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom